• In total there are 81 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 80 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

book titles!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
daboens

book titles!

Unread post

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of books that basically deal with the rise and fall of 'something'. Could be anything, really, as long as it tells some kind of story that has to do with something being created that goes completly wrong in the end. Or ie. the rise and fall of a new imperium. Or something that deals with '15 minutes of fame'. I need 60 of these, the titles of the book are enough...

Thanks in advance!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

curious

Unread post

I'm just curious why you need them? :roll:
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Does it matter if it's fiction or non-fiction? Or if it's over one book or a series of many?

The first thing that jumped to my mind was Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion. Also, something like Macbeth seems apt, since it is about his rise to power and subsequent fall.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
dbooks
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I am thinking about Temptation, by Douglas Kennedy, about David Armitage, a screenplay writer who becomes famous almost overnight, and then is accused of plagiarism...

The Job, also by Douglas Kennedy, would fit your request to. It is about a magasine advertising salesman, who climbs the social ladder and becomes quite wealthy until a bad choice makes him lose everything...

In a way, Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens, also fits, if you consider it is about the rise, and subsequent fall, of the main character's expectations...

There are probably many more, but none that comes to mind right now... Yes, daboens, who do you need them? I'm curious... :smile:
Q
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The original Rise and fall was of "...the Roman Empire", which is the title often given (but wrong) for "The History of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon, 1781 to 1789 . Volumes I to VI so you may even be able to count it as six. But I suppose you knew that. Isaac Azimov used it as the basis for his 'Foundation" Science Fiction series, so you could count coup on those too.

It is an odd assignment; you just need to account for the titles?

:) Q
ayemea
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Hi,

I don't know if it would be fitting, but I just thought about 'the lord of the rings' because the plan Sauron made with the rings went totally wrong in the end.

Return to “Everything Else”