• In total there are 53 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Being different, attractive, and powerful.

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Being different, attractive, and powerful.

Unread post

A link Tammy gave in the Wicked thread set me thinking, and what i'll write will only have some connection with part of the posting here:

http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20030708.html

Here is one paragraph which, though not my main point, is worth considering:

We have to ask ourselves which kind of culture we'd rather live in: are you defined as a member of a group (black, American, Russian, white, Christian, whatever) or are you defined as an individual, with your groupare you defin allegiances being secondary? That is, are you defined by your similarities with your compatriots, or your differences?
Logically, I fail to see how an individual can be defined by anything but the differences.
(bold characters mine.)
Ophelia.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Secondly, my main point, after reading the beginning of the post about animals and which males the females choose in nature.

[quote]To attract a mate of a specific type, animals differentiate themselves. Since females "choose" their mate in most species, males have evolved garish ways of drawing attention to themselves
Ophelia.
DisappearingInk
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

very thought provoking article and analysis, thanks for that!
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello, DisappearingInk, and welcome to Booktalk. :smile:

Would you like to tell us a little about yourself by writing an introduction in the "Introduce Yourself " threads?
Ophelia.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Both interesting articles, though I wonder on their validity. I'd like to believe it to be true, but I think it was quite a skewed opinion article.

A lot of people are hostile towards people who are different, and it can definitely impede ones ability to succeed. People who are in power or famous often get more quirky the more money they have, because they can afford to be different. I think the main traits required for success are charisma and willpower. And something to keep in mind is that those people with plumage may be in power, but their differences are very rarely anything outside the socially acceptable norm.

Regardless, everything they do is ultimately controlled by the dull, normal sheep who drive the economy (which in North America, means they control everything).

Also, it would be hard to convince me these young model-types are marrying rich old barons because they were "swept off their feet". I'm sure it happens, but I'm also sure it's the exception. Gold-digging is a survival instinct too...
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Welcome back Theomanic (now + avatar and flag...) :smile:
Ophelia.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I wander in and out. :) I'm always easy to find, regardless. ;)
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski

Return to “Everything Else”