• In total there are 83 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 83 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

David Hailing from Austin Texas

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DaRk Penguin

David Hailing from Austin Texas

Unread post

howdy all. The atmosphere of this site seems unrelentlessly friendly and loving, so that makes introducing myself much easier. I'm from Texas, but not enough from Texas to ride horses and make lassos all day. I didn't actually start enjoying books till last summer, so I've missed out on a lot and have much catching up to do. I'm only a senior in highschool though so fortunatly I have ample catching up time, and I look forward to spending some of it at this website. I've already browsed around for a few days and have been thoroughly impressed by the hospitality and passion for science displayed in the forums. Although hard science is only a small percentage of what I read (only Diamond, Gleick, and Hofstadter so far) I take my reading very seriously and enthusiastically. For the most part my reading is inexplicably varied/random. Distopias, classics, cultural studies, philosophy, fiction, plays, screenplays, politics, psychology, detective, teenage angst, postmodern, sci-fi, hard science, whatever my school has me reading...yeah my genre blindness doesn't make any sense to me. I'm either hopelessly unfocused or really open minded.Anyway my passion for hard science is still in its early stages (as well as my intellectual capacity to understand it all), so it'll be interesting for me to see how this book journal turns out.Oh yeah, and if anyone has any highschool preparing for college advice or reflections, I'd love to hear and maybe even benefit from it.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: David Hailing from Austin Texas

Unread post

DaRk Penguin,I'm really glad you found us and decided to post! It's wonderful to see young people interested in reading and understanding science. Don't feel badly about just getting started. I only started reading a couple years ago and I'm 29 years old. The folks here on this site are largely responsible for introducing me to science and helping me open my mind and start thinking. You have a wonderful journey ahead of you. I look forward to hearing your input and perhaps chatting with you in the chatroom sometime. Cheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

DaRK PenguinOk, whats with the capital "R" and "K?" I'm sure there is a story behind this. Welcome to BookTalk Mr. Penguin. Do you prefer to be called DaRK, Penguin, DaRK Penguin, or something else?You do seem to be fairly diversified in your readings. This is a good thing for sure. Being a master of one field, but ignorant in everything else can lead to one dogmatic and closed-minded individual. I think you'll appreciate the range of subjects we read here, although recently we've been on somewhat of an evolution kick.I'm pleased to see you developing such an interest in science and other intellectual pursuits at such a young age. This passion will probably pay off down the line. Maybe not financially, but you'll be a well-rounded person capable of understanding things most people never even attempt to understand.Advice about preparing for college?I have a ton of advice. Pull up a chair.1. Don't take out any credit cards. None. If you already have them tear them up. While you are young and still have either no credit or good credit, you have an opportunity to make the correct decisions. I'm 34 years old and only this month getting out of credit card debt. I'm very very serious. You will be inundated with credit card offers. Throw them all in the grabage. If you don't have the money for something then you don't get to enjoy that something. Save for it. Save for emergencies.2. Be very cautious about taking out student loans. They will eventually have to be repaid and there is nothing worse than graduating from college, making good money, and then having a huge chunk of every check go towards repaying loans. If you need them take out only as much as you need. Don't buy stereos, beer and trips to Disney. Use the money for neccessities.3. Hang out with people that you admire and that have positive attitudes. If you associate with losers while in college it will be difficult to stay focued and get the grades (and learn) everything you need to learn to graduate and do something with your life.4. Never do more than 6 shots of Everclear in the same hour. Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."  -- Leonardo da Vinci
Timothy Schoonover

Unread post

DavidWelcome to Booktalk. I like you already. I too am a little genre blind. = )Seeing how I just finished up a degree in computer science and have no desire whatsoever to pursue it, I could offer some advice.1. Don't decide on a major until you've actually taken a few classes in the subject. Coming out of HS I was hell bent of becoming the next Bill Gate, only to discover that cubicles and computer code dull the mind.2. Discounting Gen Ed stuff, take only classes that you are interested in rather than classes you feel you ought to take. You don't want to paint yourself into a degree by eliminating your options. Experiment. I recommend a little of everything: poli sci, history, literature, writing, philosophy, humanities, mathematics (Calc I if you can), biology, physics, chemistry. Of course you can't do everything, so don't experiment at the risk of adding semestres (because the $$ adds up fast), but don't commit yourself to one field prematurely. YOu never know what you might like.3. CLEP your gen eds if you can. This isn't all that important. I didn't CLEP anything and a lot of the gen ed classes were great fun, but losing ENG 111, French/Spanish, Algebra, etc. can really cut costs and provide the chance to try something new.4. Don't fall in love. That will RUIN your grade (and your pocketbook). Don't think I'm kidding.5. Get a good score on the ACT/SAT. These can be prepared for and will open up the opportunity for scholorships and such. It's not too hard to score in the upper 15th percentile. If you can get in the top 3-5%, all the better.6. Don't go to a specialized school, like an engineering school. Go to a liberal university, where a wide variety of learning is fostered. Plus there are more chicks, and certainly one of them will be willing to ... well nevermind. Specialized schools generally have a disproportionate male/female ratio...although that could be a good thing in some cases I suppose. Hm...don't fall in love.I broke everyone of these suggestions more or less, btw, and all of Chris's suggestions for that matter too. Oh well. Tim
Kenny Meek

Hey David-

Unread post

Do you know Chris Howard the outrageous Austinite Atheist? He always hangs out at www.secularhumanism.com. WelcomeKenny
DaRk Penguin

all that hallabulloza

Unread post

Kenny - I don't know Chris Howard, but I joined Secularhumanism so maybe I'll get to. Hey thanks for the college advice. I'm not familiar with the term CLEPing my classes, Timothy. Yeah right now my game plan is to find a three or four non-drug/non-drinking buddies with shared interests and join a bunch of sports/organizations together. That way I'll have something stable if all hell (credit card debts, boring classes, too much everclear,etc) breaks loose.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: all that hallabulloza

Unread post

What's everclear?Cheryl = clueless
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

College-Level Examination Program: Gets you out of boring classes (with credit!). Everclear: "Everclear is 95% pure grain alcohol. ... Shots of Everclear can be done, although it is ill advised. ... " It is also a band of some renown.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Jeremy = Spock
Kenny Meek

Name the Austin author and the song

Unread post

In Austin on a Saturday Night, Everclear is added to the wine sometimes...with Nachos, Burritos Tacos who knows....

Return to “Everything Else”