• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Taking Control

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
dbooks
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I haven't read the thread yet, but I am answering to Ophelia's question, asked in another topic, since it relates to this topic:
I don't know enough about these authors to comment, but I'll take the opportunity to say hello, Marie. It's good to see you're finding your way around the forum.

President Camacho has started a thread called "Taking control" in which he (among other things) imagines a modern form of democracy which reminds me of direct democracy in Switzerland.
I don't know whether you are a Swiss citizen and are able to vote, but perhaps you can join the thread and tell us about your experience of direct democracy. The last time I talked about this with a Swiss person was over 10 years ago and she seemed to say that voters were not very motivated.

Also, you are just a few posts away from 10, which is the number of posts you need to be able to vote in the poll to choose our next fiction title.

Hello Evelyne, yes, I am trying to find my way around the forum, many interesting topics, not much time to read everything... Your question is interesting: as a matter of fact, I had my Swiss citizenship a couple of years ago, and I was looking forward to voting, because I really like to be asked to vote for ideas, instead of people. It is very hard to identify with a political party, to find one that represents you completely, at least for me it is, I agree with some ideas of a party, some ideas of another, etc. So direct democracy is really ideal in my opinion. It is true though that people are not that motivated. Maybe because it is more work: you have to read the brochure, make your own mind... It is no more than 10 pages usually but I suppose some people won't bother... The brochure presents you with the arguments in favour of the referendum, the arguments against it. But in case you want to be lazy, each party indicates its position, so if you chose you can just follow the party you generally agree with. ...

And yes, 2 more posts after this one and I'll be able to vote, i'll have earned my Book Talk citizenship ;-)
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Right on Ophelia!!!!

Now, I am hoping Frank will come back to us here!!!!!!!

The 'Jesus' person....whom we do not know ever existed......told us that things were not going to be hunky dorey.....things were not going to get good....that was 2000 years ago. But, the important thing was that we carry on trying..........

From what you intimate....Ophelia....we seem to be opposites....in the parental zone that is. My Mum brought me up....I look exactly like my Dad....and when I found him at the age of 33 years.....we could quote the same poetry....Omar Kayaam and Shakespeare's Henry V. But, he didn't like me much......because I was not a male.....I think. Anyway, I have forgiven him for all that......we were alike.....and like poles repel! :laugh:

I really feel that we plant a seed, and we don't keep digging it up to see if it is growing....do we? There is something about faith here...grain of mustard seed. It will grow and move mountains.

So as far as I can see....like this young person, The President, says, we are going upwards......no not in the directional sense....but we are growing in wisdom....but we often ignore the wisdom....it is still there though. It is like scientific knowledge....once it is there...it is there. Whether Gallileo retracted or not.

This is a very stilted post.....I know.....but I am trying to measure it out in coffee spoons.....otherwise the post is so long.....

I think I am saying....sometimes situations touch your heart....and you can't help getting involved.....it is not always about being able to see a result. Sometimes it is about faith that the Oak tree will grow from the Acorn....and that is why Lawrence Indestine is so great....he is just planting the seed.

Come on Frank......argue mate!!!!
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

BLESSED ARE THE BLOODY PEACEMAKERS!!!!!!!!

Unread post

Oy - President come back!!!!!

You are arguing with your Mum......but your Grandma is here....

We need you......Pres.....Mum and Grandma......come back and talk...

Otherwise what hope is there for the Sin Fein....in Northern Ireland.....

:whot:

We really must keep talking.....even if we get prickly....there is always some one to smooth our ruffled feathers.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

A grandma makes it all better :smile:

Return to “Current Events & History”