• In total there are 26 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Stones from the River, by Ursula Hegi.

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Stones from the River, by Ursula Hegi.

Unread post

This is a side-bar discussion of Stones from the River, by Ursula Hegi.

Will you join Saffron and me?

[quote]
Publisher Comments:
Stones from the River is a daring, dramatic and complex novel of life in Germany. It is set in Burgdorf, a small fictional German town, between 1915 and 1951. The protagonist is Trudi Montag, a Zwerg
Ophelia.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Chaptr 1: Introduction of the heroine:

Choosing a heroine, Trudy Montag, with an appearance that will set her apart from the others, and also who has a gift: being able to see the pastand the future simultaneously, p 11.

Main characters in novels whose appearance is distateful to others, and who are thus set apart:

- Elphaba, in Maguire's Wicked, is green.

- Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley.

- The Hunchback of Notre Dame, by Victor Hugo ... not quite though. This is the English title, the French title is Notre Dame de Paris.
Quasimodo is a hunchback but Hugo did not see him as the main character, the main character being the cathedral.

At first glance, there aren't that many such characters chosen to be the hero of a novel.

Can you think of others?
Ophelia.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Ophelia:
Main characters in novels whose appearance is distateful to others, and who are thus set apart............At first glance, there aren't that many such characters chosen to be the hero of a novel.

Can you think of others?
There are lots of them in fairy tales from around the world. It is a device that forces the reader to focus on the inner qualities of the character in order to like or identify with them. In doing so, it brings awareness to the reader of the judgments we each make all the time, based on superficial characteristics. I think this is part of what Hegi is trying to accomplish with Trudy. A character (and I'd say it's true in life) that is for what ever reason "set apart", becomes an outsider and has the unique position of being privy to the group and yet not fully included. This position allows the character to comment and observe from a distance, but with an insiders knowledge.

It's Funny you should start right off with Trudy! My first thought when pulling the book off my shelf was, I wonder why Ursula Hegi chose to make Trudy a dwarf.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I'm making progress in the reading of Stones from the River.

Saffron, since you've read the whole book, would you like to give a few questions or directions that I could address as I read so we can get started?
Ophelia.
Indigo
Master Debater

Unread post

I think that one of the things that results from Trudi being a dwarf is a muddying of the self/other distinction--something particularly important in a novel that addressed Germany under Nazism. Trudi is self: a citizen of Burgdorf, a member of the community (a limited member, but not actually an outcast). And Trudi is other: a "disfigured" oddity, someone who will always be different. The Jews are self: neighbors, friends, would-be lovers, self-identified Germans, members of the community. And the Jews are other: a group that comes to be avoided, disdained, and ultimately shipped off (and worse).
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

This is interesting, thanks Indigo.
Ophelia.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

In chapter one we are introduced to Trudi and Georg, both children that are disappointments to their mothers. The impact on both the mother and the child is enormous. In a way this sets up a major theme in Hegi's novel. Expending too much energy on rejecting, hating, trying to force one's will on another corrupts and distorts.
Saffron
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Expending too much energy on rejecting, hating, trying to force one's will on another corrupts and distorts
Very strong forces, when not turned against others, can be turned against the self and cause madness: Trudi's mother, Gertrud, becomes mad.

Then she seems to accept her daughter at ther age of three months, and there is a strong bond between them afterwards.

So from the first 50 pages I've read, guilt seems to be an important theme.

Gertrud is guilty about her relation with Emil, and feels that this is the cause of both her husband's knee injury and Trudy's deformity.

(Is it implied anywhere that Trudi could be Emil's daughter?)

Trudy understands the link bewtween her deformity and her mother's madness, and then feels guilty when Gertrud goes to the psychiatric hospital and later dies.
Ophelia.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

[quote]The power of secrets is a prevalent theme in Stones from the River. Trudi is a secret stealer

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”