• In total there are 31 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

ATTENTION VISITORS AND THE NEWLY REGISTERED!!!!!!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
vanessa40
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi..
I just joined a few minutes ago..but i plan on posting a lot :D
anotheradmirer
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I joined a Thai web board/site entitled Book-something and I lurked all the time. I just couldn't find anything to post. They rarely talked about books and always spent their time on some members, discussing their lives and always planning on meeting in person.

I joined Booktalk because I felt comfortable by the atmosphere of friendliness. I do not post as much as I want. One thing is language is still a barrier. English is my second language. I sometimes feel inadequate finding words to express my feelings or thoughts in Thai. Let alone in English. (Writing in Thai is more difficult than in English, though.)
Another reason is I've never been an active poster, due to that one and only web board I joined, so I just don't know how to get back to where it started when the thread is long and they're talking about things grown from the topic. Well, for example, I wanted (and still do) so much to response to the topic "Guilty Pleasures." I planned on posting about blended cappuccino and advice column, but as I read until the later posts, what was being shared was about theatres and plays. I didn't mind all those, I studied drama during college and enjoyed reading the plays and stuff, so that's not the point, but I just couldn't figure out how I could step in and say, "Well, I love blended cappuccino, which is too expensive for me, and I like reading advice column in daily newspaper." :oops: It might sound rather silly but that's what keeps me from responding to what I'm interested in or have opinions about. Any advice?

Anyway, I try not to lurk and response as much as I can. For a hundredth time, I like being here and this place totally makes me feel warm and comfortable.:D
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

anotheradmirer wrote:
but I just couldn't figure out how I could step in and say, "Well, I love blended cappuccino, which is too expensive for me, and I like reading advice column in daily newspaper." Embarassed It might sound rather silly but that's what keeps me from responding to what I'm interested in or have opinions about. Any advice?
Just jump in! If I am responding to something much higher up in the thread, I will say so or quote from that post. The folks on BT are a pretty forgiving lot.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Wid-Sha-Ya wrote:
I joined Booktalk because I felt comfortable by the atmosphere of friendliness. I do not post as much as I want. One thing is language is still a barrier. English is my second language. I sometimes feel inadequate finding words to express my feelings or thoughts in Thai. Let alone in English.
1- Don't worry about your English. Everything you've written so far is perfect (trust a teacher on this).
Now , in your heart of hearts, you may know your English is not 100% perfect, but believe me, anybody who writes the way you do deserves to be at Booktalk.:smile:

This is an international forum. We encourage people from many different countries to join us. I may have lapsed into something un-grammatical or non-idiomatic at times but nobody's remarked on it so far, so don't fear!

We love hearing about people's experience, for example Ralph has been telling us about his life in Laos, and we were thrilled. As soon as you feel comfortable, I would love to hear about your life in Thailand (I've been writing about France and Europe in my journal. It's fun.)

2- The thing is... you're modest.
It is a virtue (I believe in fact it is too rare a quality in the West).

If this makes it difficult for you to post as much as you'd like, I recommend... regular writing practice in the relaxed environment of the (mostly) North American discussion forum.;-)
Very soon you'll get into different habits, and your mind will work.. .just a tiny fraction differently, and it'll be easy.
Ophelia.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Wid-Sha-Ya wrote:
"Well, I love blended cappuccino, which is too expensive for me, and I like reading advice column in daily newspaper." Embarassed It might sound rather silly but that's what keeps me from responding to what I'm interested in or have opinions about. Any advice?
All you need to do is use the quote system, as Saffron and I just did.

This is not compulsory though, sometimes we answer two or three people in one post, as in:

John,..................

Tim, ..........................

Martha,.........................

So especially in informal threads like this one (which is ideal to get started) you have a choice. :smile:
Ophelia.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

anotheradmirer:
I love blended cappuccino, which is too expensive for me,
Me too and too expensive for me too!

Saffron
anotheradmirer
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Ophelia and Saffron,
Thank you for the advice and encouragement. :D

Ophelia,
You remind me so much of my most beloved teacher in college, my dearest Ajarn Chalatip. I can never thank her enough for what she did for me. What you both have in common is that both of you "care." :smile:

Saffron,
It's just irresistible. Before I know, there goes 40% of my average daily income. :weep:
It's good to know there is someone on the other side of the world enjoying the same guilty pleasure. Thank you for sharing.
:smile:
polarbearsarecool
Official Newbie!

my books

Unread post

Hi everyone :D I signed up less than an hour ago, and I already made my first post. I tried to sound intelligent, but I noticed I kept typing and re-writing what I wrote. I can see spending alot of time on this :eek:

I'm going to check out other people's messages for a while.
bibliophile_18
Master Debater

Unread post

I registered just last night and even though I have all of....7 posts now, I tried to jump in quickly. I love seeing how other people respond to another book-addicts words. If anything else, I like to get other people to know about my favorite books. Besides it's hard to post when no one responds!
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I am glad to see new people just jumping in and creating posts! Please try not to worry about posting the perfect post! I do love the fact that BookTalk is a community of intellectuals. However I don't think I've ever seen anyone tear someone's writing up for grammatical or mechanical errors. Now, the content of your writing will be scrutinized and critiqued. This is something you should expect and welcome here. This helps one refine thoughts and revise thinking as necessary. Still, people here are careful with debates and almost always respectful. Have fun!

Return to “Everything Else”