• In total there are 9 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Guilty pleasures!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Daisy
Getting Comfortable

Guilty Pleasures

Unread post

Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum Novels

Good Napa Valley red wine.

Creamy cheesy homemade pasta dishes - think Marcella Hazan.

Fires- outdoor and inside.
~Daisy
ralphinlaos

Unread post

tarav - Have you ever read Nora Ephron's "Heart Burn?" It's about a New York food writer and has some good recipes (a great one for Key Lime Pie) and is a funny, well-written book. Made into a good movie with Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson.

I think I read a Diane Mott Davidson book not too long ago; I don't remember the author or the name of the book, but it was about a lady caterer who worked out of her home (with a male assistant) and solved crimes along the way - lots of recipes in the book. I think this was Davidson.

80's music is probably a guilty pleasure; anything to which you can actually understand the lyrics is a pleasure.

Hi Daisy - welcome to BookTalk.

I have a Janet Evanvich book which I haven't read yet, but have never heard of Stephanie Plum

Creamy cheesy homemade pasta dishes are not a guilty pleasure, they are a necessity!

I guess another of my guilty pleasures is politics. I am just hooked and watch evrything political on TV, especially the Sunday morning talk shows (which we get on Sunday evenings). Sunday night is my TV night and I never miss Meet the Press, Wolff Blitzer (CNN, what's the name of that show?), Dateline London (which they have now moved to Saturdays), and the Sunday morning ABC news show with Stephanopolous. I watch them all - and they're all much the same.

Ralph
ralphinlaos

Unread post

tarav - Have you ever read Nora Ephron's "Heart Burn?" It's about a New York food writer and has some good recipes (a great one for Key Lime Pie) and is a funny, well-written book. Made into a good movie with Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson.

I think I read a Diane Mott Davidson book not too long ago; I don't remember the author or the name of the book, but it was about a lady caterer who worked out of her home (with a male assistant) and solved crimes along the way - lots of recipes in the book. I think this was Davidson.

80's music is probably a guilty pleasure; anything to which you can actually understand the lyrics is a pleasure.

Hi Daisy - welcome to BookTalk.

I have a Janet Evanvich book which I haven't read yet, but have never heard of Stephanie Plum.

Creamy cheesy homemade pasta dishes are not a guilty pleasure, they are a necessity!

I guess another of my guilty pleasures is politics. I am just hooked and watch evrything political on TV, especially the Sunday morning talk shows (which we get on Sunday evenings). Sunday night is my TV night and I never miss Meet the Press, Wolff Blitzer (CNN, what's the name of that show?), Dateline London (which they have now moved to Saturdays), and the Sunday morning ABC news show with Stephanopolous. I watch them all - and they're all much the same.

Ralph
Divissa
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I've got a few guilty pleasures; some are reading-related, and some aren't.
There are some books that I read that aren't really "heavy", but I still enjoy to read them even if there isn't much to discuss about them. I classify these as "fluff." My current fluff enjoyment is the Blood Ties book series by Tanya Huff. I'm on the fifth and final book in the series, and after that I'm going to read a spin-off of it, I think it's called the Shadows series. Basically, the series is about a woman who's a private detective who teams up with her sometimes-lover cop and a romance novel-writing vampire and solves occult cases. Not a heavy read, but I've been enjoying the series.
I also love video games, both PC and on my DS Lite. And I like to indulge in sushi, lavender chocolate, and cherry Italian sodas, though not at the same time.
ralphinlaos

Unread post

Hi Divissa -]

And welcome to Book-Talk; I hope you stick around and have some fun.

Most books on the bestseller lists are not very "heavy" at all - and whether we admit it or not, most of us enjoy a little escapism once in a while.

I enjoy detective/suspense novels; I suppose they are considered fluff, but I read every one I can get my hands on.

Ralph
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

ralphinlaos wrote:Hi Divissa -]

And welcome to Book-Talk; I hope you stick around and have some fun.

Most books on the bestseller lists are not very "heavy" at all - and whether we admit it or not, most of us enjoy a little escapism once in a while.

Ralph
When I want a bit of escapism, I read young adult fiction. Sometimes the themes can be quite serious and weighty, but they are an easy read. Marcus Zusak, Karen Cushman, and Sharon Creech are a few of my favorites.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

ralphinlaos wrote:.

Constance -

I missed Survivor this week - it's on Friday nights here and I was out of town. I have no idea who they kicked off this week - I hope the ladies stayed together and voted off Eric. I think that nurse, Cerie (is that her name?) is just going to sneak through and win this thing. I'll watch in in re-runs this week; maybe it's on today.

Ralph
Hi Ralph,

I'm so sorry I missed your comment - I've had some personal stuff going on so I haven't been here for a couple weeks. Did you see the finale? What did you think? I was pretty surprised myself because I thought Amanda had it!!
My wedding day! 08-08-08
ralphinlaos

Unread post

Yes, Constance, I did see the finale of Survivor, although I never did see the show where Eric got kicked out. Those ladies were pretty smart, but as soon as I saw that Cerie, Amanda and the other one (the one who won, I forget her name) were the three remaining, I knew Cerie didn't have a chance. I was very surprised when Amanda lost, but I think the other survivors know more about her than we saw and what they knew they didn't like. I didn't like the one who won at all, but I guess she just played the game as it's supposed to be played and she won.

Ozzie sure comes across as a lovestruck little boy, doesn't he? I'd bet that Amanda has nothing to do with him; he's not in her league.

I was glad to see James get some money; I've always liked him.

And Eric redeemed himself during the live show, saying something like "I just don't know how to play this game; I'm not devious enough, wasn't brought up that way." Something like that; he said it far better than I do.

The next one in Africa should be interesting - not for the faint-hearted.

Personal stuff going on? Getting ready for a wedding?

Ralph
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

Hi Ralph,

Yes, Cerie didn't have a chance. I thought Parvarti had ticked off too many people to actually win but I guess they gave her Kudos for playing the game so hard. In the reunion show Amanda said she and Ozzie are still dating. Another Survivor wedding perhaps.... :D

I would have liked to see James win, but it was interesting watching the women work it. They tried to to that in the Amazon, but it didn't work out. It always makes me laugh to see how bitter the people who voted out are at the end when they get to ask their questions. Like they didn't do the exact same things the final two did. I love it!

I am definitely looking forward to Africa again!!

LOL, yes, planning a wedding in just over two months now! And my Dad has been sick and in the hospital. We are waiting to see if he needs surgery but luckily it is not life threatening so that's a big relief.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
ralphinlaos

Unread post

I don't think so, Constance. I don't think Amanda is interested in Ozzie at all - the affection all seems to come from him. He seems like a nice guy, but he sure was ticked off when they got rid of him.]

Africa should be the most difficult yet; I'm looking forward to it.

I hope your father gets well soon and gets out of the hospital. Been there/done that, and it's no picnic.

Ralph

Return to “Everything Else”