• In total there are 26 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Is anyone an Anne Rice fan?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
lisamarie
Getting Comfortable

Is anyone an Anne Rice fan?

Unread post

I was wondering what book I should start with?

Lisa
When you make a mistake, there are only three things you should ever do about it: admit it, learn from it, and don't repeat it.
Paul "Bear" Bryant, I Ain't Never Been Nothing but a Winner
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello Lisamarie,
No, I haven't read anything by anne rice.

Do you feel like reading our next fiction book "No country for old men " by Cormax MC Catrthy?

If not , there's a side-bar discussion on "Wicked" by Gregory Maguie.
Ophelia.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

I read a few of her novels in grad school, which was a long time ago.

The Vampire Lestat was my favorite. However, it was a sequel to Interview With The Vampire , which you should probably read first. I enjoyed The Queen of the Damned , the next book in that series. Her subsequent book, The Mummy was so lousy that I gave up on her.
lisamarie
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Ophelia

I am interested in reading No Country for Old Men. I am hoping to recieve it in the mail in the next couple of days.

I also put Wicked on my list, but probably won't get to that one for a while. I heard it was pretty interesting.

Lisa
When you make a mistake, there are only three things you should ever do about it: admit it, learn from it, and don't repeat it.
Paul "Bear" Bryant, I Ain't Never Been Nothing but a Winner
delores haze
Official Newbie!

Unread post

lisamarie

I love Anne Rice. :]

I believe my favorite was Blood and Gold. I don't think it's completely necessary to read them in perfect order, though the character stories may make a little more sense that way.
Interview With the Vampire was the first of Lestat's stories, I think.
If you've seen the movies for Interview or Queen of the Damned, be prepared; the books are much different. I liked the books much better, myself.
Anyways, Blood and Gold, Interview With The Vampire, Queen of the Damned . . . I've read more, but off the top of my head, those stand out.

-dolly.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

I have never read any Anne Rice myself, but I did read A Density of Souls by her son Christopher Rice. It appears that he writes in a different genre than his mother however. Her books are all vampire stories, correct?
My wedding day! 08-08-08
BabyBlues
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Interview With a Vampire

Unread post

Lisamarie,

I enjoyed the many books in the Rice series that begins with Interview with a Vampire. I read some and listed to some as audio books. THis series lends itself very well to the audio format. I think you should start with Interview and move on through the books. One of the great things about the books is that they often ship whose story is being told. For example while book one makes one sympathize with Louis, other books focus on Lestat (while even hitting on some of the same events of the previous book), another discusses Armand, etc. I love when a series has overlap like that and you see things from multiple perspectives. It is another reason that I love The Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver, because the chapters switch in narration among the females in the family.

I hope this helps. :spider:
Moon Knight
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Constance963 wrote:I have never read any Anne Rice myself, but I did read A Density of Souls by her son Christopher Rice. It appears that he writes in a different genre than his mother however. Her books are all vampire stories, correct?
Her most popular books are a series of vampire novels. She also has several witch themed novels, some erotic fairy tales under a pen-name, and a handful of other books including a recent book about the young life of Jesus before the bible-story picks up.

To the original poster:

I'll assume you probably are thinking of the vampire novels since they are by far Anne Rice's most well-known work. I would definitely start from the beginning with Interview with the Vampire. I have read the first three or four of her vampire novels and enjoyed all of them.

There is a certain degree of thoughtfulness and depth that she has put into the vampire mythos which has made her work quite influential in the world of modern vampire stories and has given that work a value beyond entertainment. I am not going to say they are quite intellectual novels by any stretch, but one does on occasion find fodder for philosophical reflection and the characters are fairly well developed.

I really must go back and finish her vampire series one of these days.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

Moon Knight wrote:
Constance963 wrote:I have never read any Anne Rice myself, but I did read A Density of Souls by her son Christopher Rice. It appears that he writes in a different genre than his mother however. Her books are all vampire stories, correct?
Her most popular books are a series of vampire novels. She also has several witch themed novels, some erotic fairy tales under a pen-name, and a handful of other books including a recent book about the young life of Jesus before the bible-story picks up.
Thanks Moon Knight. I didn't realize she wrote anything beyond the vampire novels. Vampire stuff has never really interested me but maybe I should expand my horizons and try one out. :D
My wedding day! 08-08-08
dslzen
Official Newbie!

Unread post

You should read the "Vampire" series so that you can read "Memnoch The Devil".

What a great, great book...

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”