• In total there are 34 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

32 Sci-Fi Novels You Should Read

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Celinio
Creative Writing Student

32 Sci-Fi Novels You Should Read

Unread post

This seems to me like a nice compilation of sci-fi novels, with some classics such as "Animal Farm" and "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea".

http://howtosplitanatom.com/news/32-sci ... ould-read/
BabyBlues
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

Celinio,

I loved your list. I never thought I was a huge sci-fi person, yet after reading that list I realized how many I'd read and how many I'd really loved. Some are even in my favorite books list. Perhaps I need to delve a bit more into this genre!

Some from the list I read (and sometimes loved):
Animal Farm
Frankenstein
Stranger in a Strange Land
Slaughterhouse-Five
Brave New World
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Fahrenheit 451
A Clockwork Orange
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

An interesting list, to be sure. I've read about 20 of the 32 titles, and I've been meaning to read most of the others. I thought some of the choices were very peculiar, like Pattern Recognition... while it was definitely interesting, I wouldn't have thought it recommended reading. I see that Gibson's Spook Country is on there also, which I haven't read yet, but I see has a less than stellar rating of 3/5.

I, for one, am inclined to dismiss older sci-fi as no longer relevant... until I read it, and see how incredible most of it still is! I remember very clearly reading War of the Worlds, and being utterly fascinated with it. That Tom Cruise movie was a crime against God and man, and in no way conveyed the same feeling.

Some of my favourites from the list:
Neuromancer - William Gibson (One of my all-time favourite books)
Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan (I'm currently reading another book by this author, actually)
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson (One of the worst endings ever, but still a great book)
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams (Probably the funniest book on the list)
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury (Classic, another author that I love)
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card (When I finish the Richard Morgan book, I'm probably going to read Ender's Shadow)

I've been intending to read Atlas Shrugged for ages, but people keep talking me out of it. I guess I'll consider this a vote for reading it! :D
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
babytalk
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I'm 16 and a wannabe Science Fiction reader :oops:

I started reading the Hitchhiker's 5-book trilogy during school, but then.. there were finals. I'm glad I stumbled-upon that list.. I'm going to meander on over to the library and take it out again!
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Why a "wannabe"? And why Sci-fi? I don't think I've ever heard someone describe themselves that way. :)
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
babytalk
Official Newbie!

Unread post

A "wannabe" because I really do like reading, but don't often get interested enough in a book or have enough time to read.. and science fiction because my boyfriend and most of my other friends are into it. Plus, I love science fiction movies when they're not way over the top 8)
psyops
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

There are some titles on this list I'd regard as fantasy and/or social polemics rather than science fiction, but then I'm kind of a purist when it comes to sci-fi.

Ben Bova wrote (in the introduction to a 1990's UK-published science fiction short story anthology on which he'd served as editor) that he'd struggled for quite some time when trying to break into the science fiction market because of the crossover nature of his early writing. It was Robert A. Heinlein who told Bova, after he'd rejected several of Bova's early attempts, that he had talent, no question there, but what he wrote wasn't science fiction, rather it was fantasy dressed up like science fiction.

"If you want me to publish your work," Heinlein told Bova, "Think of science fiction as rivets, and fantasy as trees. Give me rivets." Bova himself has described science fiction as "the art of the possible", whereas fantasy he describes as "the art of the impossible". I like the latter as a personal litmus test for what is, and what isn't, science-fiction.

At any rate, I've been collecting 1950's vintage paperback science-fiction novels for several years now. They're still to be had dirt cheap on eBay, many in excellent condition, the best usually for less than ten bucks, four or five bucks for countless others, and many as cheap as a couple of dollars when purchased in lots. I think me and three other guys are the planet's only disciples of this admittedly rather targeted collector niche', which may explain why the books are so cheap, but who knows, maybe they'll be worth some money one day.

More importantly though, many were written by one-book wonders, efforts never included in any science fiction anthology, and certainly never to be found on a "Best 32" list, but some are pretty damn good, so they deserve to be preserved for posterity. In other words, reading them in their original 1950's paperback form is the only way one can enjoy them...and I do.
Moon Knight
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I agree with the previous poster that several of the books on that list are certainly not science fiction.

Off the top of my head I would have included Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein, The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, and 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke over the non-science fiction books and even some of the genuine sci-fi books on that list.

I tend to think Neuromancer is overrated for one. Good book but it did not blow me over. I also thought it could have been written more clearly.
BabyBlues
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Heinlein

Unread post

Has anyone ever read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? I bought it a long time ago and just found it in my house. I was wondering if it is a good read. Any feedback?
Moon Knight
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I could see Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle as a contender for the list also.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”