• In total there are 155 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 155 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Which Christian Denomination are you?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
amielou
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

My top three were Episcopal/Anglican, Evangelical Lutheran, and Catholic.

I've attended ELCA Lutheran churches, really like the Anglican Church, and am a teacher in a Catholic school and seriously dating a Catholic.

So I guess it got me about right.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Why do you all want to label yourselves???

These listed here are all 'Christian' denominations.

What about the Muslims, the Hindus, The Jews, The Shintos, The Laoists?

There are good, Godly people in all of these 'religions' and there are others, in all of them, who make one wonder....were the heck they are coming from.

To label yourself...makes you separate yourself from others...not good.

Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
BabyBlues
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

labels

Unread post

All people are a series of labels....

Tall.short. American. German. blue-eyed. brown eyed. green eyed. witty. sardonic. pessimistic (that one is for you, mr. pessimistic). christian. muslim. jewish. atheist. etc

if one chooses to label oneself as something (as opposed to the label being imposed from the outside) doesn't that add to his/her sense of identity and self? Do we all need to be homogonized to be united? Why is it wrong for someone who espouses a belief to express it? Just because my Christianity tally came out one way does not mean I am anti-other religions. It is funny beause if someone were to come on the boards and say he or she were an atheist (as people on here have done...especially apparent in the boards about 50 reasons...) , I doubt people would be upset that he or she was using a label to define him or herself. Yet, if someone expresses, even in this trivial poll, that they do have a religious inclination, then the label is negative and separatist. I think that is very interesting... :hmm:
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I know what you are saying, but I do think that we need to be 'selective' about the labels we 'take on board'.

Honestly....I'm not pessimistic, well, not all the time anyway. :cry:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

if one chooses to label oneself as something (as opposed to the label being imposed from the outside) doesn't that add to his/her sense of identity and self?
Didn't the founder of Christianity - talk about dying to 'the self'?

Didn't he advocate seeing/accepting all men as ones brother?

Don't you think he meant us to 'not be seperate'?

Rafael Sabatini
BabyBlues

assumption

Unread post

Is there an automatic assumption that one inevitably does not see/accept other men as one's brother?

Just because someone believes in God and finds one way of practice/belief more meaningful to him/her, is it fair to assume he or she does not embrace the rest of the human race?

If I am Christian and my sister is Agnostic and I have friends who are Jewish and Atheist, is the labeling and the acceptance of one another automatically mutually exclusive? Can't both coexist? If my husband and I do not define our religious beliefs in the same terms, don't I still value him as a human and embrace him... in more ways that one... :D

If we look at each person as our brother/sister, isn't it fair to recognize and embrace the differences among us...just as in a "real" family there is an assortment of individuals, sometimes with diametrically opposing ideas and mores, who understand there is a shared community despite/because of our rich diversity...

Not all people who express faith are fanatical bigots...
BabyBlues

ps

Unread post

sorry for the double post earlier...
the computer said it did not go through and then when i resubmitted it it double posted...

I suppose that today we can add "technologically challenged" to my labels... :oops:
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

My results are no surprise to me. I attended UU church for a number of years before switching to Quaker.

My #1 is: Unitarian Universalism
My #2 is: Unity Church
My #3 is: Liberal Quakerism
My #4 is: Episcopal/Anglican Church
My #5 is: Methodist/Wesleyan Church
My #6 is: Seventh-Day Adventist
My #7 is: Mormonism
My #8 is: Jehovah's Witness
My #9 is: Mennonite Brethren
My #10 is: Orthodox Quakerism
My #11 is: Assemblies of God
My #12 is: Evangelical Lutheran Church
My #13 is: Free Will Baptist
My #14 is: Presbyterian Church USA
My #15 is: Southern Baptist
My #16 is: Eastern Orthodox Church
My #17 is: Church of Christ
My #18 is: Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
My #19 is: Presbyterian Church in America/Orthodox Presbyterian Church
My #20 is: Reformed Baptist
My #21 is: Reformed Churches
My #22 is: United Pentecostal Church
My #23 is: Roman Catholic Church
My #24 is: International Church of Christ
Moon Knight
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Why do you all want to label yourselves???

These listed here are all 'Christian' denominations.

What about the Muslims, the Hindus, The Jews, The Shintos, The Laoists?

There are good, Godly people in all of these 'religions' and there are others, in all of them, who make one wonder....were the heck they are coming from.

To label yourself...makes you separate yourself from others...not good.

Labels serve a useful purpose as a way of describing one's general attributes to others before "fine tuning" the picture. If one is a member of a certain denomination then one should hold most if not all of the beliefs of a practicing member of that denomination. That is by definition what it means to be part of that church.

I see each Christian denomination as virtually a different religion. Given that each has a different concept/idea of who God is, then as I see it they are each worshipping different entities (whether some/all/none of those entities exist or not is irrelevant).

People that hold this "We all believe different things but we're worshipping the same God" idea are crazy to me. If each person has a different conception of God then each is worshipping a different image. There are right and wrong answers to the big questions. I am not going to sit here and suggest I have all or even any of those answers. I am not going to say that any religion or denomination thereof has the answers. Maybe one has some and another has some other ones, but meanwhile both have certain aspects wrong.

Conversely, if two people in two different denominations, or even two different religions, believe in the same concept of God then they are worshipping the same God. That God need not have the same name, or even be conceptualized as a single entity in both religions.

We cannot "just all get along" and pretend our differences don't matter and that there are not distinct rights and wrongs out there that we all must discover, making some people right and some people wrong.
Moon Knight
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
if one chooses to label oneself as something (as opposed to the label being imposed from the outside) doesn't that add to his/her sense of identity and self?
Didn't the founder of Christianity - talk about dying to 'the self'?

Don't you think he meant us to 'not be seperate'?
This is just a paraphrase, but, Jesus also said that he came with a sword to divide. He makes clear at one point to his disciples that they need to get their swords ready and prepare for trouble. However Peter, upon taking Jesus too literally, is scolded. No, a literal sword is not intended here.

There is another passage that says something along the lines of "He who is not for you is against you". Meanwhile there is a story elsewhere of Jesus rebuking his disciples for scolding a man who was performing an exorcism without first consulting with Jesus or the disciples. The point of these two seemingly conflicting passages was that a person is with Jesus as much as they are in agreement and against him as much as they are without agreement. Don't get after people that are speaking truth just because they're not in your fold, but don't give anyone quarter who speaks untruths.

Return to “Everything Else”