• In total there are 2 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Hmmm....

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Actually, I think there isn't any good explanation on how to believe or why someone believes in something.
Surely you jest. :shock: You form your beliefs arbitrarily? I'm sure you have some sort of "reason" for believing in one thing over another. If I told you that you should believe that God is an invisible jelly donut you would probably not believe me. Think about why not. The process you use to discard my claim that God is an invisible jelly donut is very similar to the process I use to reject your beliefs.
That's probably, because I think, it's better to believe in an afterworld than to believe that we just won't exist anymore when we die.
A belief making you feel good is automatically a valid belief? If your answer to this question is "no" then don't you feel a sense of obligation to your own intellectual integrity to now try to weed out the invalid beliefs?

How about my belief in an afterworld where I am given several dozen virgins as a gift if I end my life on this planet by slaughtering some infidels while killing myself. That belief might make me feel good and might make me want to slaughter some infidels, but is it rational to allow myself to believe in things just because they make me feel good? Heck, 70+ virgins for me to play with for all of eternity sounds wonderful! Should I believe? Wait....why not increase it to 197 virgins!? That is an even better and more fantastic belief! Yes, I now believe I'll be rewarded in the afterworld with 197 virgins...wait...make that 547 virgins! This is awesome. I love not knowing how to form my beliefs. The sky is the limit! Actually, the sky isn't the limit at all! There are NO limits to my beliefs.
And since I already believe in something it would be nearly impossible for me to suddenly start to not believe in anything.
Who said you have to not believe in anything if you decide that believing in a god is irrational? I made this decision 25 years ago, but my brain didn't become a vacuum completely devoid of all other beliefs. I simply don't believe in things without evidence, but there are a ton of things that there is abundant evidence for in which I believe.
Believing in those things just makes my life easier than it would be otherwise.
So you don't really care whether or not a god exists as long as believing in a good makes you feel good. What about honesty and truth? Don't these virtues make you feel good?
If someone believes something, it's not that easy to convince him of something else.
Not even remotely true. Maybe this is how you and other theists approach personal beliefs, but freethinkers are willing to change their beliefs when the evidence supports such a change. I can't imagine believing in something despite evidence to the contrary. I have changed my beliefs and stance on many issues as I learned more and more about the relevant facts.
ayemea
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Thanks for the tip. I'll think about reading it.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”