• In total there are 20 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

what purposes do myths serve?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

True, but like I said, maybe some people need to have something to believe in like a myth because they've had some trauma. I can't say for certain. I think the idea of having myths is nice - and I like the idea of being able to read them and figure out what the ancients were thinking.
Books are my life
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I don't disagree that they're interesting due to the insight we can gain into different cultures. I find theology fascinating for that same reason.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. -- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

Me too. I could dig through my old readings and recommend some books if you want,
Books are my life
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Sure, I'd appreciate that. I'm mostly familiar with celtic and norse myths, and then Catholic and early Christian theology, but anything really (including those topics) would be great.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. -- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Ashleigh: "But once a myth is proven fact, it is fact, and no longer myth and we need to search for more myths."

I don't think it's possible to prove a myth as fact. Even if it were true. Science proves nothing, it only sheds fat.

Myths can serve a purpose, and to each their own. My top priority for discussion on matters like this is their proximity to truth. Second priority is entertainment value. If they don't strike me as having truth to them, there's no reason to discuss them unless I'm taking a class on them, or in casual conversation as entertainment value.

As entertainment value, I enjoy reading myths now and then. They give insight into how people of ages past viewed the world.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

Interbane: I don't think it's possible to prove a myth as fact.

Trying to prove a myth is like trying to smell an equation or sniff an argument or taste a musical scale or listen to the colors of a sunset. Myths are not proven, they are lived and they last as long as they are useful...at which time they are shed...and a new one replaces the old. Which, I think, is an important clue about myth: it clothes our world. Perhaps science involves those times that we get naked and bathe?

Interbane: My top priority for discussion on matters like this is their proximity to truth.

Which sounds like a particular kind of myth regarding the value of truth: the Truth as Priority myth. As soon as we start establishing priorities we are looking for purpose and objective, seeking a goal kind of thing...priorities help to keep us on track, minimizing distraction and keeping boundaries...but these are tactical issues which always lead back to a larger narrative and broader scheme for our existence...and this is the stuff of myth.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Ashleigh wrote:maybe some people need to have something to believe in like a myth because they've had some trauma. I can't say for certain. I think the idea of having myths is nice - and I like the idea of being able to read them and figure out what the ancients were thinking.
Good point Ashleigh. For example, the Jewish people were traumatised by the Romans totally destroying Jerusalem in 70 AD and crucifying people until they ran out of trees for wood. So it is nice to displace this immense trauma into a neat package of a single messiah who died for all, pulling together all the potent myths into a story capable of overthrowing the empire.
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

Trauma is exactly what I was thinking about, and the need for a myth, and I guess another example I thought of was war and events like the Holocaust. I can't speak from experience, but I'd imagine that would be something that would make me want to believe in a myth.
Books are my life
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

DH: "Which sounds like a particular kind of myth regarding the value of truth: the Truth as Priority myth."

Sold. Fallacy as Priority from now on! 8P
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

DH: "Which sounds like a particular kind of myth regarding the value of truth: the Truth as Priority myth."
Interbane:Sold. Fallacy as Priority from now on!

Looking at the animal and plant world, it seems deception reigns: camouflage to deceive, misrepresent, minimize, distract...countless ways to falsify, manipulate and manufacture appearances...attracting mates, avoiding predators, capturing prey requires, demands, arsenals of un-truths...so much so, one could conclude that the truth may be the least effective means of survival- or one could hardly argue that it is the guiding priority. The truth about survival is that truth has little to do with surviving.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”