• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Suggestions for our next FICTION book discussion

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

I'll suggest another Russian one..mainly because I just purchased it and am going to read it soon and it would be great to have it discussed on here.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

I'd love to but I lent my copy to somebody and they're still reading it!!
Books are my life
lorifog

Unread post

Being new here, I'm just wondering what happens after we all throw out some suggestions. Do we vote? Do the moderators pick? Just curious..

Lori
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Yes, Lori, we vote.

Here is an example of how polls are organized .
Official Poll

This poll will run from September 25th through October 5th.

This is the official poll to select our October & November 2008 non-fiction book. The poll is going up a bit late so we might run this discussion an extra month to give everyone time to order and read the winning book. In other words, if the discussion is active and interesting we'll make the discussion period October, November and December 2008.

To start with I'll explain how I narrowed the choices down from over a dozen to the 3 books appearing on this poll. First of all I didn't include any of my own suggestions since nobody else expressed an interest in them.

Next, the few suggestions from brand new members with less than 25 total posts were not included. From experience these people have the lowest probability of actually participating in the book discussion. Also, none of the books suggested by these newer members received any additional comments from other members, so even if these newer members had 25+ posts on the forums their book suggestions still wouldn't be included on the poll. Please don't interpret this community rule of requiring 25+ posts as anti-newbie. We all started out as newbies. You prove your sincerity and intentions by being loyal and active on the forums.

How to vote...

Only active members with 25 or more posts on our forums are permitted to vote in book polls. And please think before you vote. Votes influence the direction and future of our community. If you don't see yourself ordering the book you are voting for, reading that book, and making posts about that book on the forums don't vote. Book polls are not for sharing your opinion on what you consider to be a good book. They are exclusively for selecting a book that we can and will all read and discuss as a group. Your vote matters.

You can cast 3 votes. Distribute your 3 votes however you see fit. Maybe you really like 1 of the 3 choices and don't like the other 2 choices at all. In this case you can assign all 3 of your votes to your favorite book.

Or maybe you like two books with one of them being your top choice. The 3rd choice is not attractive at all. So you would want to assign 2 votes to your top choice and 1 vote for your 2nd choice. Assign no points to the 3rd choice.

Are you catching on? Yes, you can assign 1 vote to each of the 3 books. And please do vote even if you think you will be happy with any of the 3 books winning. The reason why your vote matters, in such an example, is because casting 1 vote per book shows other members that you will be participating in the discussion. Other people base their votes on how other people have voted, so please vote!

To vote simply make a post in this thread stating how you assign your 3 votes.

Example:

2 votes for Book Title 1
1 vote for Book Title 2
[/quote]
Ophelia.
lorifog

Unread post

Thanks Ophelia

That's explains it pretty well and makes perfect sense. I figure I tend to talk a lot so I'll have my 25 posts in no time! LOL

Lori :)
onasunnyday
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

To MRK who mentions Those Who Save Us. I thought this was an excellent book. I would love to disuss it with anyone. I may be posting in the wrong place so if someone could set me straight it would be helpful.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Not to worry, your suggestion is in the right thread.
Ophelia.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

The christian bible.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

And give up my cherished hope that the religious / atheist debates would be restricted to the non-fiction section? :angry:
Ophelia.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Ophelia wrote:And give up my cherished hope that the religious / atheist debates would be restricted to the non-fiction section? :angry:
Yes, let's do keep them contained.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”