• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Suggestions Wanted: Feb. & Mar. 2009 Fiction Book

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

The only guideline I know of is length: not more than 350-400 pages, but Chris is the one that would tell you for sure.
Perhaps having a look at the fiction Archives would help.
You can't do wrong by making a suggestion anyway, if people don't like it the worst that can happen is they won't vote for it! :smile:
Ophelia.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

The Secret Agent

Unread post

The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Agent
"The Secret Agent: A Simple Tale is a novel by Joseph Conrad published in 1907. The story is set in London in 1886 and deals largely with the life of Mr. Verloc and his job as a spy. The Secret Agent is also notable as it is one of Conrad's later political novels, which move away from his typical tales of seafaring. The novel deals broadly with the notions of anarchism, espionage, and terrorism. It portrays anarchist or revolutionary groups before many of the social uprisings of the twentieth century. However, it also deals with exploitation, particularly with regards to Verloc's relationship with his brother-in-law Stevie. Due to its terrorist theme, The Secret Agent has been noted as "one of the three works of literature most cited in the American media" since September 11, 2001.

The role of Politics is paramount in the novel, as the main character, Verloc, works for a quasi-political organisation. The role of politics is seen in several places in the novel: in the revolutionary ideas of the F.P.; in the characters' personal beliefs; and in Verloc's own private life. Conrad's depiction of anarchism has an "enduring political relevance", although the focus is now largely concerned with the terrorist aspects that this entails. The discussions of the F.P. are expositions on the role of anarchism and its relation to contemporary life. The threat of these thoughts is evident, as Chief Inspector Heat knows F.P. members because of their anarchist views. Moreover, Michaelis' actions are monitored by the police to such an extent that he must notify the police station that he is moving to the country.

The plot to destroy Greenwich is in itself anarchistic. Vladimir asserts that the bombing "must be purely destructive" and that the anarchists who will be implicated at the architects of the explosion "should make it clear that [they] are perfectly determined to make a clean sweep of the whole social creation." However, the political form of anarchism is ultimately controlled in the novel: the only supposed politically motivated act is orchestrated by a secret government agency.

In modern times, The Secret Agent is considered to be one of Conrad's finest novels. The Independent calls it "[o]ne of Conrad's great city novels" whilst The New York Times insists that it is "the most brilliant novelistic study of terrorism". It is considered to be a "prescient" view of the 20th century, foretelling the rise of terrorism, anarchism, and the augmentation of secret societies, such as MI5. The novel is on reading lists for both secondary school pupils and university undergraduates."

Further links
http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Agent-Sign ... 0451524160
http://www.bibliomania.com/0/0/15/27/
http://www.ductape.net/~steveh/secretagent/
PAULA717
Getting Comfortable

Suggestions Wanted: Feb. & Mar. 2009 Fiction Book

Unread post

Hello! I'm new so not sure if this book has been covered already. I've just finished "The Road" by Cromac McCarthy and would like to suggest it.

A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind. It is cold enough to crack stones, and when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the coast, although they don't know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing; just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food-
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello Paula, welcome to Booktalk! :smile:

We've discussed No Country For Old Men, but not The Road.
Ophelia.
kbullfrog
Master Debater

Unread post

i would like to suggest Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Froer.

this book is haunting, and illuminating and besides Invisible Man,which i see by the archives has already been read here, is one of my all time books that everyone in the world should be made to read--by choice of course! i would personally look forward to reading it again, just so i could talk about it.

Here is the synopsis:

A young American Jew, who shares a name with the author, journeys to Ukraine in search of Augustine, the woman who saved his grandfather's life during the Nazi liquidation of Trachimbrod, his family shtetl. Armed with many copies of an old photograph of Augustine and his grandfather, maps, cigarettes, and a fanny pack filled with Ziploc bags, Jonathan begins his adventure with Ukrainian native and soon-to-be good friend, Alexander "Alex" Perchov, who is his own age and very fond of American pop culture, albeit culture that is already out of date in the U.S. Alex has studied English at his university and is "premium" in his knowledge of the English language and therefore becomes the translator. Alex's "blind" grandfather and his "deranged seeing-eye bitch," Sammy Davis, Jr., Jr., accompany them on their journey.
The writing and structure received critical acclaim for the manner in which it switches between two story arcs: (1) fragments of Foer-the-character's novel-in-progress, where he tells in highly literary English a quasi-magical story about the citizens of Trachimbrod; and (2) a straightforward narrative of searching for Trachimbrod (which is an invented name for the real village Trochenbrod), as told by Alex in broken English. They are tied together by letters sent from Alex to Foer and attached to Alex's version. Alex's narrative is most notable for its broken English, which sounds as if he learned English via thesaurus without ever hearing it spoken. Throughout his narrative, he makes frequent use of improper synonyms, such as using the word rigid to mean "difficult".

Wikipedia, (sorry i never like to use Wiki as a cite source, but i am lazy this morning)

i hope we choose this book! ;-)
ruteger

Olive Kitteridge

Unread post

I am new, so I don't know if maybe you have already discussed this one, but I would like to suggest Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. I just got this book for Christmas.

I hope I posted the link correctly.

http://www.amazon.com/Olive-Kitteridge- ... 934&sr=8-1
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello ruteger, welcome to Booktalk! :smile:

Yes,the link you gave was made correctly.
Ophelia.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I would like to withdraw my suggestion --The Woman in White-- as I'm no longer sure I'll be able to participate.
Ophelia.
Barbara
Official Newbie!

Fiction suggestion for Feb. and Mar. 2009

Unread post

Inez of My Soul by Isabel Allende
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello Barbara, welcome to Booktalk! :smile:
Ophelia.