• In total there are 32 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Do graphic novels count?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Ilexia

Do graphic novels count?

Unread post

After having seen the movies, I decided to read Sin City and V for Vendetta. Sin City was corny, but almost fun to read in some ways. V for Vendetta was better written and I enjoyed the overall theme a little better.So do graphic novels count as books read, or are they something completely different?
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Do graphic novels count?

Unread post

Not completely different, but I'd say that they require special treatment that isn't necessarily useful when it comes to straight-up prose. If nothing else, there's an interplay between word and image that's important to pay attention to when you're "reading" a graphic novel.That said, I don't see any particular reason why we shouldn't talk about graphic novels in this forum. I feel fairly certain that enough of us read them.Which "Sin City" did you read, Ilexia? The series gets more and more hyperbolic as it goes, but the first run (the Marv story) was taut and about as hard-boiled as noir gets.
Ilexia

Re: Do graphic novels count?

Unread post

I read most of them, and the Marv one was definately one of the betters ones. "That Yellow Bastard" was also one of my favorites. "Hell and Back" was definately one of the more bizarre ones. The use, or the lack, of color is often interesting for thematic elements. There were times I was annoyed by looking at entirely black and white frames, though.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”