• In total there are 63 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Some great fiction reads

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
BookWorm13
Getting Comfortable

Some great fiction reads

Unread post

I love all sub genres of fiction from mystery to psychological suspense to supernatural to satire its all good. This list doesn't even tip the iceberg of all the great fiction novels I have read but here are some of my favorites I have recently had the pleasure of reading.

The collector by John Fowles
Fire Bringer by David Clement-Davies
Crank by Ellen Hopkins
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
The Sight by David Clement-Davies
Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Memoirs of a geisha by Arthur Golden
The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum
bookwormliss
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Out of that list I have read The Twilight Series - Stephenie Meyers. My favorite was the first one. On my TBR List I do have Memoirs of a geisha. On a scale from 1 to 10 what would you give it?
BookWorm13
Getting Comfortable

Memoirs of a geisha.

Unread post

I would probably give memoirs of a geisha a good solid 8. I loved it, it was beautifully written and totally addictive for me.
bookwormliss
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Excellent... :up:

Do you have any other recommendations?
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

Memoirs of a Geisha was really good. If you like reading about Japanese culture try the author Yoshimoto Banana. I would start out with Kitchen from her.
If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.
--Katherine Hepburn
BookWorm13
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hmmm...let me think

Lives of the monster dogs by Kirsten Bakis
The thirteenth tale by Diane Setterfield
Neverwhere by Neil Gaman
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman
Choke by Chuck Palahnuik
The book of laughter and forgetting by Milan Kundera
Valiant by Holly Black
Duma Key by Stephen King
The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

To name just a few :laugh:
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

I enjoyed the Lovely Bones even though it didn't go the way I had expected it to. It is nice that books aren't always what you think they will be. I heard they were making a movie of the book. haven't seen a thing about it, maybe I missed it because I never ever go to the movies, I wait for the library to have it on DVD.
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Re: Memoirs of a geisha.

Unread post

BookWorm13 wrote:I would probably give memoirs of a geisha a good solid 8. I loved it, it was beautifully written and totally addictive for me.
I am going to have to read this!
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
BookWorm13
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

farmgirlshelley wrote:I enjoyed the Lovely Bones even though it didn't go the way I had expected it to. It is nice that books aren't always what you think they will be. I heard they were making a movie of the book. haven't seen a thing about it, maybe I missed it because I never ever go to the movies, I wait for the library to have it on DVD.
Hmmm...I hope if they are making a movie after the book, that they don't butcher it. Thats all to common in the world of book to movies.
astrid
Master Debater

Unread post

Hey Bookworm, thanks for sharing your book lists. I'm always open for suggestions!

you said- "I hope if they are making a movie after the book, that they don't butcher it. Thats all to common in the world of book to movies. "...... Yes, I must agree with you-- but with ONE exception, after having seen the movie Forrest Gump, I found the book and thought it must be really good and that I'd find it worth reading...... sooooo NOT true. The book was absolutely horrible!!(IMO- anyway) Forrest Gump was a real "a" hole, a lot of the book was about his wrestling career and how phoney he had to be..... they sure improved the story by making it into a movie-- can you imagine that!!

Think I'd really like to read Memoirs of a Geisha... think I'll get me a copy.-- thanks

astrid

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”