• In total there are 70 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Should it be illegal to wear a "POLICE" shirt?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Should it be illegal to wear a "POLICE" shirt?

It should be illegal because....

45%
It should be legal because....

55%

Total votes: 11
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

That sounds like something you need to go to the news with. Sometimes if it's within the law commercially or about the law governmentally, yet you're being screwed over, the news will step in to investigate the story. It's a last resort if you're really in a pinch though.
kbullfrog
Master Debater

keep the government out of my clothing decisions!

Unread post

i think that consciously, and unconsciously, we all wear uniforms--i have to wear a uniform to work and i wear a uniform that i think reflects my personality, usually a skirt and a nice shirt.

if i was to wear something that i then got arrested for, i would be pissed off. however, this person that was arrested in the bar was probably provoking the police, and like a tail light out, they used the shirt to arrest him. if a guy is wearing a "police" shirt, which i have seen men do, they are typically assholes, and deserve to be taught a lesson. do i think on the basis of wearing the shirt alone is enough to be arrested, no, i do not think it is enough. if he was acting like an officer and harassing others, the way cops are known to do, then he should be arrested and penalized to the fullest extent. i think that in this case, it sounds like the cops were the ones doing the harassing.

just my opinion, but i am rather liberal, and believe that the police should stay as far out of my personal life, choices and decisions as possible, unless i am truly threatening someone/thing.

:hmm:
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I thought you were a dude.

I had to thank you three times!!!!! WOWOWOW!!! hahaha
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

op code wrote:
It has now been over 2 weeks since her assault, we've called the sherriff 5 times, been to the courthouse 3 times and filed a written complaint to have them speak to us about the case. They never included what was stolen during the attack so our insurance won't cover it and we're out thousands of dollars, and we have evidence of who did the crime, but they won't listen.
:( That sounds really hard. I'd be frustrated and angry and feel like staying in. I hope you're both doing really good self-care.

To the above, Interbane wrote:
That sounds like something you need to go to the news with. Sometimes if it's within the law commercially or about the law governmentally, yet you're being screwed over, the news will step in to investigate the story. It's a last resort if you're really in a pinch though.
That's always an option. (I tell people who talk about committing suicide that, too, right before asking...) Have you considered any other options? It sounds like a bad joke, but I would seriously weigh your outcomes first, maybe with an advocate in your area who is used to working with the police there. It may be that there is someone who can tactfully and effectively intervene for your girlfriend should she wish them to try.

I emphasize this last phrase as a reminder of something I'm sure you probably already know. Even though you are also a secondary survivor or trauma, this assault primarily happened to your girlfriend, so her feelings and wishes should be paramount in whatever actions are taken. She may not want her story all over the news. It might add to stress for her, and for you, to take that action. It also might piss off the police, which, depending on what your police are like, could be even worse than you would believe possible now.

Anyway, talk it over, support her choices (it helps people who are assaulted to heal if others support them in taking their power back). I'm really sorry you're having such a hard time. It isn't you or anything you did; this kind of thing happens to a lot of people. Sometimes it is possible to prevail if you're determined, which it sounds as if you have been. Sometimes finding the right person to help you can make a difference. Sometimes you end up just reframing what success could look like for you, i.e.; would it be enough to get to a safer place, to get a statement from the police for the insurance evidence, to...what? What could look enough like success for your girlfriend and you to feel more resolved? There isn't a right answer. It's different for each person in each situation.

In answer to your other question, I do live in Oregon. I don't go to school now. :smile: I wish you the best of luck with your education, though. Lewis & Clark is supposed to have a pretty good Law School, I think.
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
-- Chuang-Tzu (c. 200 B.C.E.)
as quoted by Robert A. Burton
opcode
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: keep the government out of my clothing decisions!

Unread post

kbullfrog wrote: i wear a uniform that i think reflects my personality, usually a skirt and a nice shirt.
Got Pics? :bananadance:
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Yes, I second the pic suggestion.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Kb, I only thought you were male because you didn't put a gender in your profile and the name bullfrog is somewhat masculine, don't you think? I didn't know you had a picture in the albums section of the website.

You look very feminine. I apologize for my past comments.
opcode

Unread post

where's the photo gallery?
kbullfrog
Master Debater

Unread post

yee-aaah, i got a little excited on the posting and posted 3 times instead of once. woops. rookie mistake.

i hate the government interfering in my personal choices. and that includes "the man"....or the cops, you know.

and what made you think i was a dude? what if i am a dude who likes to wear skirts?
how politically insensitive of you--you should seek counseling.

but really, i am a girl, i set the profile thing incorrectly and cant figure out how to change it! so please chock it up to a blonde mistake and read a book or something!

just kidding. :laugh:
opcode

Unread post

Still, pics or banned :laugh:

I have to run out for errands but I'll try to find a shot of me with my mohawk later today.

Return to “Everything Else”