• In total there are 33 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Anna Karenina by Tolstoy

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

I am guessing that Anna, before, Vronsky was living a life where she was fairly satisfied with life, a good home, a husband, a child, a place in society, and she lived in a way she thought she should, not really questioning her happiness. It was not until she met Vronsky that a longing for something more and a realization (or perhaps in illusion) that she was not happy began to grow in her.
Tolstoy does leave us to guess about Anna's happiness but I think he does provide some clues. I think the seeds of her discontent were there when she met Vronsky but it is difficult if not impossible for us to know what those seeds are, but Vronsky recognized them somehow and took advantage.
In part 3, when Anna tells her husband the truth and we also see how much she as begun to see her years with her husband as oppressive ones. Were they really like that, or does she just feel this way now that she doesn't want to be there anymore?
I think this is true and I think there are some indications of oppressiveness in Parts 1 and 2, for example, when she returns from Petersburg on the train and spends her first night back with her husband, I think her feelings of this oppressiveness were coming through. At one point in Part 2, when she is out late and her husband is thinking about what to say to her, he comments that perhaps she does have a life of her own, or something to that effect, as if he just realized that. But the scenes where Alexei is thinking about his wife's apparent unfaithfulness and the agony he is going through shows how much he does love her.
deep down she knew she was not really happy, she was not living an authentic life, the real Anna needed something more.
Perhaps Anna is struggling with a basic conflict between living a life that she feels is true to herself (authentic) and living a life that she feels she should live and which she feels fairly satisfied with. I also think she is uncertain and scared because she sees terrible risk in attempting to resolve this problem.

I enjoyed the horse race scenes in Part 2. I thought the structure that Tolstoy used, with the seperate narratives of the race from the perspective of Vronsky first and then Anna and Alexei was quite brilliant and provided and excellent lead up to disclosure of the affair. By the end of Part 2 I really felt that Anna is "doomed", but exactly how she is doomed and to what is an open question.

Part 2 closes with Kitty's scene at the German spa and the strange encounter with Nickolai Levin. His presence and Kitty's exploration of life's possibilites through her friend Varenka are compelling and seem to have some wider meaning.

I do believe that Anna is younger than her husband, I place her as late twenties where he seems older, perhaps in his forties? Not sure why I have this impression but perhaps it is the way he is so established in his work and community.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

Part 2 closes with Kitty's scene at the German spa and the strange encounter with Nickolai Levin. His presence and Kitty's exploration of life's possibilites through her friend Varenka are compelling and seem to have some wider meaning.
I wondered about this meaning as well. I thought that for Kitty the significance of Nickolai was that she caused someone to fall in love with her under false pretences, she was trying to be loving, giving, and warm as her friend Varenka was, but instead she gave a false impression to Nickolai and hurt his wife. Perhaps it made her reflect on her anger at Vronsky for the false impression she had of his love for her.
At one point in Part 2, when she is out late and her husband is thinking about what to say to her, he comments that perhaps she does have a life of her own, or something to that effect, as if he just realized that.
My impression was quite different. I got the feeling that he expected her to have an almost separate life, just so long as she conducted herself in a proper manner that reflected well on him. He did not want to delve into her character and had no desire to know the inner woman. Their relationship was superfical, which was how he expected it to be, almost as if he was afraid of knowing her. This is maybe what she was missing, a close bond of love.

We were talking about what a wretched individual Vronsky is, but it is also true that Anna sought him out and did little to really discourage him. Vronsky did not have anyone that he was committed to, but Anna was married and had a son, but she still went out of her way to spend time around Vronsky knowing what he wanted and how he felt. The responsibility is hers as well as his.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Levin is doing the threshing and then after sleeping under the clouds has a fantasy of living a simple life, finding a peasant wife, changing everything and being happy.
I think Tolstoy is giving us a window on social and political change at the time. This sequence could symbolize the political movement in Russia that became the 1917 Revolution and created the Soviet Union. The political overtones are clear in discussions between Levin, Stepan and others and also in the struggle Levin has with participating in the zemtovs and his mixed feelings about peasants, on the one hand seeing them as lazy and untrustworthy and on the other hand picking up the scythe and working with them in the fields and finding great comfort and friendship in that.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

on the one hand seeing them as lazy and untrustworthy and on the other hand picking up the scythe and working with them in the fields and finding great comfort and friendship in that.
Much of part 3 is concerned with the farm, the workers, and Levin trying to make sense of it all. Levin is so impressive in that he is honest with his observations and rather than trying to make these fit in with the philosophy of the day he struggles to find the real meaning. I do not think he saw the peasants as 'lazy and untrustworthy' in the discriminating sense, as this group is like this, period, but tried to understand why they appeared to be that way, and they did appear to be that way when compared with his ideals. Levin studies people and tries to understand them. He is frustrated by people who quote studies, philosophies and beliefs but are not willing to listen, think, and observe.

The interesting contradiction is that Levin will not question himself or try to understand himself when it comes to the question of love. Where Kitty is concerned he wants to shut off his mind and not try to solve this dilemma. He spends so much energy working on the farming idea, thinking, experimenting, trying to understand the workers, and not expecting overnight success. But, with Kitty, after one failed attempt, his pride has made him shut off all considerations of this part of his life. While he can look at other areas of life so objectively, this area is too tied to his emotions.

There is a parallel here with Anna's husband, except in his case I think his inability to deal with emotional matters has caused him to be an emotional cripple.

I have reading part 4 and I felt myself getting frustrated or perhaps depressed at Anna's behavior. But then I have to remember that she is pregnant which is an emotionally stressful time in itself without having to deal with guilt, condemnation, and fear of the future. Her relationship with Vronsky is taking a typical turn of an illicit love affair. What does she really know about Vronsky and how true can his love really be? All their love was ever based on was an intense desire to be in each other's company. They do not know each other's inner selves, thoughts, dreams, goals, and ambitions. There is nothing concrete to hold this relationship together when around them things start to crumble. They are beginning to see the cracks and weaknesses in each other and in themselves and do not like what they see.

I saw Anna as a much stronger person in the beginning.

I'll back track a little here and comment on Dolly, as I am beginning to see her as a much stronger individual. She impressed me on how she mustered herself for the challenges of living in the country in less than ideal circumstances and her love and care of her children. She is working hard to be a good parent with a husband who, despite the odd guilt induced show of assistance, is mostly nonexistent. As she no longer feels loved and desired by her husband, she has found her worth as a mother and it trying to have that sustain her. I empathized with her when she found such joy when her children behaved in caring, loving ways and her dismay when she felt they were not. Tolstoy does such a good job in capturing the inner emotions of so many different people.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

realiz said:
Tolstoy does such a good job in capturing the inner emotions of so many different people.

I do agree - and I was delighted to find a book today, at the shop - 'Walk in the Light and Twenty-three Tales' by Leo Tolstoy, which I am now going to enjoy.
I saw Anna as a much stronger person in the beginning.
I think Anna was a stronger person in the beginning but she was driven quite mad with guilt. I do feel absolute compassion for her.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

'Walk in the Light and Twenty-three Tales' by Leo Tolstoy
Let me know how you enjoy these.
I think Anna was a stronger person in the beginning but she was driven quite mad with guilt. I do feel absolute compassion for her.
I feel compassion for her, but I also feel frustrated that she can't be stronger, I want her to be stronger.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

realiz
Levin is so impressive in that he is honest with his observations and rather than trying to make these fit in with the philosophy of the day he struggles to find the real meaning.
You offer a much deeper analysis of Levin, I need to read the rest of Part 3 to understand him better. I'm not sure about Anna, still getting to know her. But strong or weak, there is a restlessness in her soul, at least that's how I see her at this point.
coffeeaddict
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi there Giselle

AK is quite a heavy read and to begin with I got very confused by the amount of characters and the backstory surrounding them. I found using something like Sparks Notes while reading each chapter a really big eye opener. I know it's not an ideal solution, but perhaps it will help you 'click' better with the book and its events because there is sooo much there. Once you are a bit clearer I am sure you will enjoy it on an even greater level.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

While I am very happy for Levin and Kitty, I can't help thinking about how quickly, in those times, couples jump into a life-long commitment not really knowing much about the person they are signing up with other than the incredible, passionate love that is intoxicating, almost like signing up for life while under the influence of drugs. I guess that still happens today, and generally the chances of success, when marriage is entered into so quickly, are not so high. But that has much to do with the expectation that those heady feelings will never wane, and that if they do, one must seek them somewhere else.

I was very surprised at the change of heart by Alexei Alexandrovich after spending the trip home hoping for Anna's death as a escape from his troubles how he ended up forgiving her. He seemed to finally open up his heart to his emotions. Anna is desperate in trying to make up for the bad person she sees herself as and as Alexei becomes warmer and more caring she becomes more disgusted with herself.

Vronsky did not strike me as the type of person to try and take his own life, too self-centered, but I guess it had much to do with three days of not sleeping and the acute pain in seeing Anna's husband as the worthier person, and seeing himself through Alexei's eyes (another excellent emotional description by Tolstoy here). Vronsky has no idea what it will do to Anna to take her away from her son. It surprises me that she could leave her son, but I guess she felt like she had no option, and I also think she has given up on thinking of herself as a good person and so has quit trying to be one.
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

are we reading this book for Feb and March?
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”