• In total there are 19 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Governments Using Atheism by Force

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Should Atheism Be Forced?

Yes

No votes
No

100%

Total votes: 21
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

richards1000 wrote:I believe that you are advocating the policy position that national governments, including the U.S. federal government, should ban all religious groups and prohibit the practice of all forms of religion. In support of this position, you argue that the U.S. government is violating the U.S. constitutional prohibition against establishment of religion.
Directly contrary to what I said. But hey who's arguing?
richards1000 wrote:Neither claim that you adduced has been accepted by any U.S. federal court, to my knowledge; that is, no U.S. federal court has ruled in an actual case that the Internal Revenue Code’s religious tax exemption provisions or the existence of the executive branch’s office of faith-based initiatives violates the Establishment Clause.
And as I have said before I think that they should. How can there be a separation when what amounts to a corporate system legitimized by irrationality is given special allowances of any type or allowed to act as a said corporation with impunity? We don't want someone from Halliburton running the country, why should we have to accept the member of a religious-political body? There is an imbalance in the country and it favors these irrational faith based institutions (and multinational corporations). If anything it must be remembered that these "faith based charities" are little more than a collection humans no better or worse than non-faith based groups. God of any belief doesn't exist and a preacher is no better for believing that he does. Right now a religious group with political aspirations will be granted a tax exemption where similar secular groups are not.

http://atheism.about.com/od/churchestax ... ptions.htm

You have shown an impressive understanding of how the system is currently set up. At least superficially. I was hoping to have a more theoretical discussion rather than one relying on legalese. You helped prove an important point of mine though: American Governmental policy towards religion needs reworking, bad.
richards1000 wrote: Accordingly, both claims you adduce to support your argument that the U.S. government is violating the Establishment Clause seem unpersuasive, because they are unsupported by any judicial decision or constitutional text.
I adduce that you reduce me to arguments not of my own making. Talking about the way things are now is not the focus here. You want to argue with the Professor Emeritus of Sociology at the University of British Columbia who wrote the article go ahead, I'm interested in the subject but please don't pin me directly to it or write off what I have written because of it.

Your link is broken second paragraph.
richards1000 wrote: I respect that view, but I believe that view is inconsistent with the policy of the U.S. government.
I don't see how. Your founding fathers didn't what religion to influence the rational order of the state and religion didn't want to lower its self to the mundane running of state. Sounds like an ideal situation to me until you get Bush wrenched. Many countries adopt a state religion in an attempt to have control over religious influence, America is not one of them. The rise of political religionism as we can observe in the United States is a rather contemporary phenomenon. I can only hope that you don't require any proof or background information to know that this is true.

http://www.crosscurrents.org/Demerath.htm
roberts1000 wrote:Voluntary religious belief and expression may be as threatened when government takes the mantle of religion upon itself as when government directly interferes with private religious practices.
You restate the flip side to the very coin of my own words! Finally you have struck upon the topic! My perspective was from the alternative viewpoint that the "voluntary religious beliefs" begin to threaten government when they become too influential and that it is the government's protectionist responsibility to enact some measure of control. Of course I am not advocating any kind of mouthpiece - I don't know where you got that idea from - rather that the government must maintain its fastidious secularism.
roberts1000 wrote:I disagree with the view that all religious groups should be banned and the practice of all forms of religion prohibited, because such a view would violate basic norms of human rights...
Ummmm...you've taken this defensive position before and I am confused as to where exactly it stems from. Certainly not anything I have said or implied. I'm just not picking up the extreme authoritarianism in any of the posts you seem to feel needs reprimanding. But maybe you not reading the posts.
roberts1000 wrote: How can there be a “gray area” between them?

An inability to recognize a problem does not mean that there is no problem. And I would recommend that we should be erring on the side of there being a problem here.

Third paragraph...great points. This is where the difficulty I expressed comes in. You would feel that no changes are needed and that religious corporations can exert whatever influence they are capable of. My own personal disagreement was the impetus for this thread.

theistic agendas = church taught actions [i.e. "Bush is God's spokesperson, your vote is a prayer."]
atheistic apathy = "What radical religious right-wing? There is no God I don't need to vote anyway."

Sorry, not at all interested in the American legalese system, I don't believe that you would need to be all too intimately familiar to recognize that a wheel is loose somewhere. Having said that I will do some reading of your links and actually find out what the heck an Establishment Clause is and perhaps even attempt to forceably ingest some of the more legal mumble-dumble.

:book:
Last edited by Grim on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richards1000
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Robert:

Thanks for your message.

My point was that many rich and persuasive works arguing for the compatibility of Christianity and science have already been written, and so it’s unclear why another needs to be written. For example, Pascal argues in the Pensées that, among other things, the discoveries of natural science can lead us to faith by instilling in us a sense of wonder respecting the natural world, and that the principles of probability can be used to argue in favor of the existence of God. In his books “Christianity and Evolution” and “The Phenomenon of Man,” Teilhard de Chardin offered extended arguments in favor of the compatibility of evolution and Christian faith. More recently, Ian Barbour has written several books proffering arguments for the compatibility of core elements of Christian doctrine with the teachings of the sciences. Moreover, the Augsburg Press series “Theology and the Sciences,” http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebreco ... 100&HIST=1 , features more than a dozen titles arguing that the findings of the contemporary sciences are compatible with the doctrines of Christianity and other faiths. And there are many other recently published works in this vein. It seems to me that before one undertakes to write yet another book of this kind, one should read and evaluate the works that have already been written.
Last edited by richards1000 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Penelope wrote:RT
My experience is that there is little appetite to analyse these problems except at the superficial level of Dawkins.
In the book 'The Devil's Chaplain' Selected Essays by Richard Dawkins, the final section is called 'A Prayer for my Daughter' and takes the form of a letter to his 10 year old daughter. 'Good and Bad Reasons for Believing'.....not superficial at all, Robert.
Thanks Penelope. I haven't read The Devil's Chaplain, but am going off his comments in The God Delusion, where he basically defines the debate such that anyone (eg Spong) who seeks to reconcile science and faith is seen as unrepresentative of Christianity. His main thrust there is that ordinary Christianity is impossible, so rather than seek to reform faith he calls for it to be abandoned. I think that is superficial, as reform offers much better prospects than the adversarial approach Dawkins promotes. What are his good reasons for believing?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:The anti-democratic nature of forced ________ is the main problem
I've taken liberty with your words, Robert, but if we put almost any religion or ideology in the blank, the statement would be true. I'm not sure I see that atheism by its nature must always be the worst form of forced ideology/religion.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

richards1000 wrote:My point was that many rich and persuasive works arguing for the compatibility of Christianity and religion have already been written, and so it’s unclear why another needs to be written. For example, Pascal argues in the Pensées that, among other things, the discoveries of natural science can lead us to faith by instilling in us a sense of wonder respecting the natural world, and that the principles of probability can be used to argue in favor of the existence of God.
Sounds great except there is no God, and all objects of religion boil down to myth. So essentially you are saying that an elaborate system of delusional lies is an acceptable mix with politics? I would not be so bold as to assume theism to be as benign as you claim it to be. And besides your argument for cooperation is betting on a won race. I am talking about cooperation in a sense yes, but only in the sense that it will be essential when the influence of religion is reduced. I do actually believe that to a degree if innate atheism cannot reduce the influence of a organized religious corporation than it is the Government's responsibility, no duty to do no less lest it surrender the integrity of its basic ideals. It irks me to think that people actually believe that we need a theism to uphold the moral structure of the country. "Wonder respecting the natural world," is also referred to not taking a desk job and actually engaging with your environment rather than waiting for it to be served in sermon form. Religion not only restricts science but it actually takes some of the wonder by trying to provide an unarguable conclusion, which is often vague and full of inconsistency. Is this honestly what politics needs, a morally vague an inconsistent argument for bias that is meant to instill wonder?

Since you obviously favor the argument for the freedom of religion how do you imagine that all religious freedoms could be retained if the church's influence were to be forced away from politics?

richards1000
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Grim:

Thanks for your message.

Respecting your statements: "An inability to recognize a problem does not mean that there is no problem. And I would recommend that we should be erring on the side of there being a problem here."

I'll explain further:

The Establishment Clause is a component of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Full text is available here: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/constitution/pdf2002/019.pdf . That is, the First Amendment has several parts, of which the Establishment Clause is one. Here is the entire text of the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of
religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging
the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people
peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress
of grievances." Here is the text of the Establishment Clause: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of
religion." Now, you said: "yet there remains a significant gray area somewhere between the Establishment Clause and the First Amendment." My question is, given that the Establishment Clause is a part of the First Amendment, what do you mean by stating "that there remains a significant gray area somewhere between the Establishment Clause and the First Amendment"? Do you mean that the Establishment Clause is inconsistent with certain other parts of the First Amendment? If so, which ones, and in what way is it inconsistent with them? If not, then what do you mean?
richards1000
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Grim:

My apologies. I incorrectly represented the view you are advocating. I jumped from your initial post in this thread to the one immediately before my first message and failed to read your postings in between. Sorry.
richards1000
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Penelope:

Respecting your statement: "I was not arguing in favour, or against these issues. I was just summing up what I had learned so far from this forum." My apologies. I thought you were making those arguments.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

There are no limits set on the involvement of the religious corporation in the countries politics? I thought that America was a state politically free of religion and yet it appears that this is not so. The separation of church and state actually means that the government has no control over religion??? Noo not a theodemocracy!!! I feel sick. Ugh...ugh...baarrrrfff!!! Aaaah it burns!!! :sick:

So I guess my point is more pointed than ever but all the more unlikely. Good luck with Scientology America.

Damn you democratic freedoms you've failed again!

Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Richard:-
My point was that many rich and persuasive works arguing for the compatibility of Christianity and religion have already been written,
I assume you mean between Christianity and Science (or am I missing something here?). Rich and persuasive works need to continue to be written because spirituality is 'alive' and changing....it must change and grow to encompass the dilemmas we are faced with through scientific discovery. If we stick to the ancient ethics, we are attempting to 'put new wine into old bottles and the bottles will burst' -

Robert:-
What are his good reasons for believing?
His 'good' reasons for believing are when there is enough scientific evidence to support said belief.

His 'bad' reasons for believing are when the belief is just handed down from the last generation. ie Some stories can have been related as fact, for hundreds and hundreds of years - that still doesn't make them true. Or when some old 'prophet' type person has sat in a dark room seeking enlightenment, and then comes out and says he's had a revelation.

So, although we may come to realise that the 'story' of Jesus (or Bhudda for that matter) is not true. We can also see that the 'teachings' of Jesus (or Bhudda for that matter) hold true throughout generations, and have an enlightening effect on our psyches??? For us, the evidence that the 'teachings' are true, is the fact that they are still true today and still affecting peoples' attitudes to life. (Sometimes!! ;-)

Sorry Robert, I went off on one then......that last paragraph is my own surmising, not Mr. Dawkins'. Heaven forbid!!!

Grim:
Sounds great except there is no God, and all objects of religion boil down to myth.
I would like to box your ears!!! I am boxing your metaphorical ears, young man. No matter how often you assert this above sentence, it won't make it true. This is what people on this thread are discussing, and this is because people on this thread are kindly disposed to each others' differing opinions (and intellects). So stop it, and please carry on with your reasoning.....not your propaganda!!!
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”