• In total there are 53 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Language Barrier

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Interbane wrote:I had a visual image once of how words are used to portray the concepts we're trying to get across.
That the Yooper coming out. Yoopers also have a big thing for concrete expression. Generalization is a sin to the Yooper mind. That's was the reason for the zietz tragedy. You are a true Yooper, and I am so pleased to finely meet one. You should recognize, though, that the whole world is not Yooper, and we Loopers (lower down folks) can't think Yooper and don't want to.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Tom:
You should recognize, though, that the whole world is not Yooper, and we Loopers (lower down folks) can't think Yooper and don't want to.
I have had to google, Yooper. But this statement Tom, is rather like the one by Thrillwrtr.......
You don't understand me so I'm off....
Which I think should really read:
You don't agree with me, so I'm off.
Surely the the value of these threads is so that we can grasp why people think what they think. So we can think Yooper....although we may not agree with whatever it is they are thinking.... we ought to want to understand why, so that we can offer a valid counter point at least.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I have had to google, Yooper.
Wikipedia isn't good on 'Yooper'.
So we can think Yooper....although we may not agree with whatever it is they are thinking....
Actually, you can't think Yooper -- not that I am well-informed on this topic. Yooper is bred in the bone. You can be nice to them and hope they will be nice to you, but to understand the Yooper mind you'll need to live among them and become acculturated like a Yooper and learn to see things their way.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Tom:
Yooper is bred in the bone.
What rubbish Tom. This is labelling people and the equivalent of Racist...which is really what we should be trying to avoid.

I like these threads because people (on the whole) are not point-scoring, but are having the 'grace' to actually take the trouble exchange ideas.

I didn't do Wiki for Yooper btw - just looked at an independent website map and some of the comments beneath.......and I thought.....Lancashire v Yorkshire or Cheshire/Wales or England v France...... Or Northern England v South of the Watford Gap.

Good fun to poke fun at our near neighbours......so long as it isn't taken seriously....and we remember that: -

Chorus (all join in!!)

People are people - there a good and bad in all races creeds and colours.

No labelling please - except in a spirit of fun.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:What rubbish Tom. This is labelling people and the equivalent of Racist...which is really what we should be trying to avoid.
For one who knows nothing about Yoopers you have suddenly become well-informed!

"Racist"? Now how are we going to communicate if you start calling insulting names? Probably you are having problems with Chris's new color scheme and are taking it out on me. But no matter. I understand and am going to be patient and tolerant :)
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

All speech, written or spoken, is a dead language, until it finds a willing and prepared hearer. - Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dear Tom

I am not well informed on Yoopers, Loopers, Hoopers or Boopers...but I do know when labels are being applied. And I do know the dangers of this practise.

It is counterproductive to the attempt to understand ourselves and reach any kind of concessus of opinion. (I'm a rotten speller aren't I?)

Does being a Yooper mean that you are a bad person? Does it mean that Yoopers are not worth conversing with?

No, it doesn't mean that, because everyone is worth a hearing. If they can be kind enough to take the trouble to put their thoughts into words then I can be kind enough to listen.

If we don't listen to one another then people get angry and are tempted become the equivalent of a 'big fist'.....a label I would rather not apply to anyone.

I'm not calling you rude names Tom, I have too much respect for your previous communications to do that. But I am a bit surprised at your latching on to Interbane's geographic location like this. :kiss:

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Hello Thrillwrtr!! Nice to have you back!

Nice to have the lovely RLS - quoted too!!!

The trouble is we often listen to people but we can't always 'hear' what they are saying. Or understand why they are saying it. :hmm:

Rafael Sabatini
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Does being a Yooper mean that you are a bad person? Does it mean that Yoopers are not worth conversing with?
Not at all. I quote Interbane:
I was born and raised a Yooper!
Didn't I say how pleased I was to finely meet one?
But I am a bit surprised at your latching on to Interbane's geographic location like this.
Geography has nothing to do with it. Yoopers are bearers of Scandinavian folk culture -- Finnish and Norwegian primarily, I think. Their values and habits of perception are exceptional. Interbane began this thread to discuss his problems in communication. This difficulty in my opinion arises from cultural dissonance, and an expample of it is the treatment of zietz. Ironically, Zietz (Dr. Sandy Krolick) has a theory of perception that justifies the Yooper way. That is, zietz says that the solution to the conflict between reason and revelation is an emphasis on the concrete in Yooper fashion. We should all convert to Yooper.

Tom
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Tom:
Yoopers are bearers of Scandinavian folk culture -- Finnish and Norwegian primarily, I think. Their values and habits of perception are exceptional.
I am so glad that you explained that. Because, this is the problem I have on here.....if I need to go and click on links....and look things up on Google....I lose my thread. I forget what I was going to say. :(

But....this is what I have said before on another thread......(I must apologise to grim for repeating myself....in drives him nuts!!!...but some of us are 'old' you see, and have this tendency)....

What I am convinced of...is that America is a wonderful mix of the gene pool......So with Interbane....it's the Vikings!!! :laugh:

But that 'mix' is what is full of vitallity, life...and don't let anybody tell you any different!!!

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”