• In total there are 53 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Language Barrier

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
These connections I think are what makes up most of what people consider 'metaphysical'. It feels so very real, but that is simply because we've made a mental association.
Exactly! :clap:

As I understand it (and this is only my interpretation). The term metaphysics originally referred to the writings of Aristotle. I believe and was taught that traditionally, metaphysics refers to the branch of philosophy that attempts to understand the fundamental nature of all reality, whether visible or invisible. It seeks a description so basic, so essentially simple, so all-inclusive that it applies to everything, whether divine or human or anything else. It attempts to tell what anything must be like in order to be at all.

Therefore, to call one a metaphysician in this traditional, philosophical sense indicates nothing more than his or her interest in attempting to discover what underlies everything. Old materialists, who said that there is nothing but matter in motion, and current naturalists, who say that everything is made of lifeless, non-experiencing energy, are just as much to be classified as metaphysicians as are idealists, who maintain that there is nothing but ideas, or mind, or spirit.

There are many interpretations of metaphysics.

I think you represented your thoughts eloquently, Interbane. Bravo!
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

interbane
Somewhere, I can't remember, I read that there is no thought without language. Our 'nuggets' of thought are also 'nuggets' of language, words or groups of words. In restructuring the delivery of a concept, it would also then seem that you'd need to restructure the thought, if that makes sense.
Going back to the de Saussure quote that I posted on this thread earlier, what you are saying here is much in line with de Saussure's theories of linguistics and of semiotics. You're comment also made me think of Marshall McLuhan 'medium is the message' - although he is referring to media, he does refer to a symbiotic relationship, the interplay between content or concept and the means by which it is communicated. And, to connect one more dot (maybe a stretch) but I think this will come up in "Manufacturing Consent" as well.
"The medium is the message" is a phrase coined by Marshall McLuhan meaning that the form of a medium embeds itself in the message, creating a symbiotic relationship by which the medium influences how the message is perceived. The phrase was introduced in his most widely known book, Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man, published in 1964.[1] McLuhan proposes that media themselves, not the content they carry, should be the focus of study; he said that a medium affects the society in which it plays a role not only by the content delivered over the medium, but by the characteristics of the medium itself.Wikipedia
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Thrillwrtr:
You are a gentle, kind soul with a loving spirit.

There are those who would disagree!! ;-)

Anyway, be warned, I am working on notsaying things just to impress. I am working on being honest and not worrying so much about whether everyone likes me.....

This sort of honesty doesn't come naturally to me. :oops:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Warning read. I still think from what I've read thus far you are a nice person.

I try to believe eveyone is basically a nice person ... until they prove otherwise. That's just me. ;-)
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Warning read. I still think from what I've read thus far you are a nice person.
Awe, thankyou Thrillwrtr.

I do love people. Whether that makes me 'nice' I don't know.

The trouble is, I am fascinated....I am the complete opposite of a zenophobe.......so the more foreign or unusual a person is, the more I like them.

I am inclined to attract.....eccentrics....(not to say lunatics).

For instance.....I try to avoid public transport, because I always get a drunken Irishman come and sit next to me and tell me all about the the beeeautiful potatoes....they grow over on the Emerald Isle. ;-)

So, see, I wouldn't like me too much if I were you. :laugh:

Seriously, I am looking forward to meeting you on the Bookboards....in the future.

Love Pen
x
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Pen,

Oh, we do seem to have a little in common my Dear.

All my life, from the time I was a wee lass all the way up to this very day, I attract nothing but old men, little boys, and dogs. They all love me. I'm like a magnet. They are drawn to me like moths to a flame. At the gas stations, in the markets, taking a walk. They follow me, talk to me, (the men and boys, not the dogs), lick my hands and rub up against me, (the dogs and sometimes the old men :laugh: ). I stay home to avoid them.
It's not that I don't like people and dogs, I do. However, sometimes I just want to conduct my business and be on my way.
So you see, kindred spirits do seem to find each other, no matter what.
Peace be with you,
T
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

:laugh:

Well, it's not old men and dogs with me. The only little boy who loves me (to distraction) is my grandson!! And that's mutual.

But drunks and lunatics.......can't move for them.....the trouble is, it takes one to know one they say. :crazy:

You have made me laugh!!! Thank you. What's yer name?

Rafael Sabatini
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Pen,

Your are quite welcome. My name is Diana, you can call me Di, everyone does. Or, are they telling me ... NO! :shock: That can't be it!

You made me laugh too. Thanks for the cheer! :D

Di
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

thrillwriter
All my life, from the time I was a wee lass all the way up to this very day, I attract nothing but old men, little boys, and dogs. They all love me. I'm like a magnet. They are drawn to me like moths to a flame. At the gas stations, in the markets, taking a walk. They follow me, talk to me, (the men and boys, not the dogs), lick my hands and rub up against me, (the dogs and sometimes the old men ). I stay home to avoid them.
This is quite a funny story and provides a clear picture that overcomes any possible language barrier. But wasn't it a bit scary when you were a 'wee lass'? Or perhaps, like a flame, you were able to deal with moths that got too close? Or maybe you spend a lot of time trapped in your house, surrounded by little boys, old men and dogs waiting for your appearance? This could be a horror novel.
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

:laugh2: Oh dear! Now that is funny.

Although it could be an excellent premise for my next novel. Hmmm ...

Thank you. ;-)

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”