• In total there are 79 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 78 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Customer Service

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Trish
Experienced

Unread post

When I worked the front desk at my salon if I had a difficult customer, I would simply say "let me just bring the manager over and see what we can do for you." I don't wait for them to demand a manager. For the most part I had a manager that would go to bat for me because I at least kept my cool even when I wanted to leap across the counter and strangle someone. Most customer complaints are justified, but on occasion there are ones that just want to get something for free just by complaining. Now I'm a hair stylist and I once had this girl come in with a picture of Jessica Alba because she wanted her hair color. We had a long consultation and we both agreed on the work that needed to be done. About $125 for the color and $45 for the styling. During the service she mentioned she had been to several places and has never been happy. That's a big red flag right there. When I was done, she went home happy and commented to the manager she loved her hair. 24 hours later the manager gets an angry phone call from the girl's father that his daughter's hair was "green" and if they wouldn't refund the money he would dispute the credit card charge. It was totally BS to get the service for free. Fortunately the manager said we could not refund the money but would be happy to re-do her color for free if she wanted. Never heard from them again. :razz2:
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Oh do let's tell one another anecdotes about our customer relationships.

For most of my life I have worked in the second-hand book trade.

Book browsers (and sellers) are almost always a trifle eccentric.

We once advertised, 'Mein Kampf' with signature to endpaper. It was the signature of a previous owner, but one 'prospective' customer asked if it was 'Hitler's' signature. I replied that no....it was signed to a friend from Bill.....but that I didn't think it was Kaiser Bill, either. The boss was not pleased.

Now and again I get a dear old lady asking for a book....which she can't remember the author or the title...but it was about a farm.....and the covers were blue! :(

I love it really......as it isn't often that the book-buying public are very stroppy. I love books so much that I can usually manage to sell them something else, which they didn't come for in the first place.

And the real enthusiasts....fill me with enthusiasm for their subject. I have even demanded that my husband take me for a New Year's Day ride on a steam train.... because one of my customers was such a steam train enthusiast.

It is the best job in the world......selling books.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Laser Harbor
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

First Interbane, I'll be sure to keep mine outa sight :shock:

Second, seriously this is for a paper. Can I get a realistic answer. :up:
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Laser: Sorry! Digressing is my business!

OK- Is the customer always right?

Of course not. Customers are people:-

No one is always right.

To paraphrase:

It is possible to be right some of the time
It is possible to right, some of the time at the right time
But it is not possible to right, all of the time at the right time!!! :laugh:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Laser Harbor
Seriously this is for a paper. Can I get a realistic answer?
I’m sorry about that. I started my tangent and never finished telling you my answer. So I hope this helps you write your paper.

The phrase “The customer is always right” was originally coined by Harry Gordon Selfridge, the founder of Selfridge’s department store in London in 1909, and is typically used by businesses to:

1. Convince customers that they will get good service at this company
2. Convince employees to give customers good service

However, more and more businesses are abandoning this maxim - ironically because it leads to bad customer service.

Here are five reasons why I think “The customer is always right” is wrong.

1: It gives abrasive customers an unfair advantage. Using the slogan “The customer is always right” abusive customers can demand just about anything. They’re right by definition, aren’t they? This makes the employees’ job that much harder, when trying to rein them in. Also, it means that abusive people get better treatment and conditions than nice people. That always seemed wrong to me, and it makes much more sense to be nice to the nice customers to keep them coming back.
2: It makes employees unhappy. A company cannot treat their employees like serfs. They have to value them . . . If employees think that their company won’t support them when a customer is out of line, even the smallest problem can cause resentment.
3: Some customers are just plain wrong. The fact is that some customers are just plain wrong, that businesses are better off without them, and that managers siding with unreasonable customers over employees is a very bad idea, that results in worse customer service.
4: Some customers are bad for business. Most businesses think that “the more customers the better”. But some customers are quite simply bad for business. It isn’t even a matter of a financial calculation … not a question of whether either company would make or lose money on that customer in the long run. It was a simple matter of respect and dignity and of treating their employees’ right.
5: It results in worse customer service. When you put the employees first, they put the customers first. Put employees first and they will be happy at work. Employees who are happy at work give better customer service because: a)They care more about other people, including customers, b) They have more energy, c) They are happy, meaning they are more fun to talk to and interact with, and, d) They are more motivated.
On the other hand, when the company and management consistently side with customers instead of with employees, it sends a clear message that: a) Employees are not valued, b) That treating employees fairly is not important, c) That employees have no right to respect from customers, and d) That employees have to put up with everything from customers. When this attitude prevails, employees stop caring about service. At that point, really good service is almost impossible. In fact, the best customers can hope for is fake good service. You know the kind I mean: courteous on the surface only.
T
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
Laser Harbor
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Thank you! Very helpful :)
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

If you get a bad grade, argue with the teacher that it's not fair, he should punish the person you plagiarized from, not you!
Laser Harbor
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

You're just so smart. I feel almost inferior. :P
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Is it Plagerism if I have offered my answer freely with no recourse if one uses it to write a paper? :?

Or ... are you saying I am plagerising? :eek:

Please ... do tell!
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
Peggy_Butler
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

From a business and economic sense, the customer is "always right" until the money has been taken and they leave the building. Then they can be wrong.

Return to “Everything Else”