• In total there are 74 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Feeling Guilty?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Feeling Guilty?

Unread post

Have you ever lied about reading any particular book?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/ma ... abits-1984

:book:
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

A 'Classic' is something people often wish to say they have read...but haven't.......

Wishful thinking!!

I remember completing the reading of 'Dombey and Son' the Charles Dickens Classic....I put it back on the shelf....like a medal.....

I'd won for bravery!!!! ;-)

It is as thick as a brick...in all senses of the word.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I can remember a very boring lecturer of "Dombey and Son" in Cape Town; I don't think the boredom was all due to the lecturer, and I can't remember how much of the book I read.
Ophelia.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Ophelia wrote:I can remember a very boring lecturer of "Dombey and Son" in Cape Town; I don't think the boredom was all due to the lecturer, and I can't remember how much of the book I read.

Oh, and to answer Grim's original quaestion, I try to lie as little as possible.
With books, I may not remember which books I've read, but I've never in my life felt the need to impress someone by saying I'd read a book which I hadn't read.
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Ophelia: Oh, and to answer Grim's original quaestion, I try to lie as little as possible.
With books, I may not remember which books I've read, but I've never in my life felt the need to impress someone by saying I'd read a book which I hadn't read.
Well, one gets to a stage, where one 'knows' the answer, but can't remember it....sometimes, can't even remember the question...but we know that there is no need to lie!!!

Unlike Ophelia, I have felt the need to impress people.....but that dies with maturity...thank goodness!!!
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Penelope wrote:A 'Classic' is something people often wish to say they have read...but haven't.......

Wishful thinking!!

I remember completing the reading of 'Dombey and Son' the Charles Dickens Classic....I put it back on the shelf....like a medal.....

I'd won for bravery!!!! ;-)

It is as thick as a brick...in all senses of the word.
This is one of my all time favorite books, more because of how it kept me company for an entire summer during high school. And yes, it is as thick as a brick!
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Saffron: And yes, it is as thick as a brick!
I met and recognised myself....in one of Dicken's characters in that book......it hurt.

I love it and I hate it with a passion!! :crazy:
[/i]

Rafael Sabatini
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

What would be the reason to lie in regards to reading a book? Either you did or your didn't.

No. I enjoy reading. So why would I lie about reading any particular book? If I didn't I don't partake of the discussion. Simple.
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane

Return to “Everything Else”