• In total there are 45 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Banned book Outrage.

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lterrell
Getting Comfortable

Freedom to Read

Unread post

I am always surprised when books are banned.

Several years ago many classic books were banned from my grand-daughter's public high school library. She had read and enjoyed most of the books. She was so angry! I ask her what she was going to do....I shared with her that she might be careful because sometimes there is a price to be paid for speaking out.

A few days later I got a call from her in my cell phone. She had organized a protest (Based on my stories to her about protests in the 60's, they were marching with homemade signs in front of the library and being generally disruptive.) and she wanted to make sure I was available in case they got arrested to come bail her out of jail! I could hear the shouting in the background. They didn't go to jail but they surely got the administrations attention. She was ready to go to jail for her beliefs!

She wasn't done yet and wrote her term paper in Freshman English comparing the banning of books in the library to NAZI terrorism. It was well researched and well written. Unfortunately her English teacher was also on the library board that banned the books! My grand-daughter has only received one "B" during her high school years for that semester in her English class. The teacher had been with the school for 20 years and we didn't get very far with the review board. She graduates from the high school with honors in a couple of weeks but will not be valedictorian because of that "B." I am proud of her because she stood up for what she believed but she also paid a price.

By the way, she has been accepted to an excellent teachers college in their honors program. She also got the highest score possible on her ACTs. I think she will make a fantastic teacher.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Banned books

Unread post

Hello lterrell:

Thank you so much for sharing your story. That B, may prove to be an A in her teaching career. Every high school has a student that receives the valedictorian honor, but it is a privilege for a school to have a teacher with the honor of valor.

Suzanne
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Iterrel, this is a very interesting story. Welcome to Booktalk! :smile:
Ophelia.
lterrell
Getting Comfortable

Thanks folks

Unread post

I am happy to have been a mentor for her from time to time.
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Re: Banned book Outrage.

Unread post

[quote="Rancher"]I read the 100 top banned book list. It is so upsetting to find Mark Twain among the authors. :rant:

James and the Giant Peach! :furious: Come on! It is better than The Naked brothers Band. quote]

Wait, seriously? 'Cause that's really weird. :shock:

Anyway, I think people just need to be guided. I don't want to sound preachy, but when Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code made waves here in our place, I heard talk about pulling the books out, but I honestly don't think that banning the books would discourage non-believers or retain the Christian faith in believers. Really, what's up with that?! Grown-ups sometimes treat kids like we're gullible, mindless twerps! :furious:
Maybe if grown-ups guide their kids instead of just bossing them around and tell them what to read and not to read without stating the reasons why, kids wouldn't be so gullible in the first place! :furious:

...the ramblings of a frustrated ex-teen (or am I still considered a teen? :? )...
lterrell
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

[quote="uod_sa_libro"][quote="Rancher"]Anyway, I think people just need to be guided. I don't want to sound preachy, but when Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code made waves here in our place, I heard talk about pulling the books out, but I honestly don't think that banning the books would discourage non-believers or retain the Christian faith in believers. Really, what's up with that?! Grown-ups sometimes treat kids like we're gullible, mindless twerps! :furious:

Fantastic! Da Vinci Code definitely made waves in my community.

I believe strongly that if a "book" or "idea" is going to make a negative impact on someone's belief system, that system needs some work. I have been part of many discussion groups where I was the only practicing member of the Christian community and found it exciting. Much more exciting that attenting a mindless sunday school class to rehash of the fruits of the spirit!!

One of my grand-daughters learned to read when the Harry Potter books first came out. Another grand-daughter loves the Twilight series. Generally, our son and daughter-in-law don't seem to limit what the girls read. They are aware of what the girls are interested in and talk about the books they read. I do seem to remember that there was some discussion about when it would be appropriate for the girls to read Stephen King, but that was several years ago when they were in earlier grade school.

I think it is a parent's responsibility to make sure their children read. Be aware of what their children are reading and watching on TV and what computer games they are playing along with their friends and making sure their main job is going to school and getting their homework done. As in any relationship, appears to me non-threatening communication is key.

I always knew what my children were doing and with whom. I had to work when my children were growing up, but I would take a scheduled "sick" day off once a month and have one of my children take a "sick" day off from school and we spent the day doing something special together. This started when they were both in grade school. We went to movies and museums, whatever they were interested in at the time. My children still talk about those times we spent together and that was over 20 years ago. We called them "mental health" days! LOL

By the way, I'm still very close to my children. I just got back from spending a month back East with our daughter. A couple of years ago I spent a couple of weeks in San Francisco with our son and his daughter after a trying time in his life. Our children are always our kids. It is so important to make great memories.

Sorry this is so long, it is just so important.
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

lterrell wrote:

I always knew what my children were doing and with whom. I had to work when my children were growing up, but I would take a scheduled "sick" day off once a month and have one of my children take a "sick" day off from school and we spent the day doing something special together. This started when they were both in grade school. We went to movies and museums, whatever they were interested in at the time. My children still talk about those times we spent together and that was over 20 years ago. We called them "mental health" days! LOL

By the way, I'm still very close to my children. It is so important to make great memories.
That's so sweet!
juligurl
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

My son, he just turned 17 this month, is currently reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I find it rather ironic that at some school libraries he would be unable to check out this work of art, but he can legally walk into any R-rated movie. :wall:
SarahIG
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

What frustrates me about people wanting controversial books banned is that the majority, don't actually read the books and they just end up looking like idiots.
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

hey, SaraIG, I was just curious about your pic - is that Jensen Ackles? :smile: Just wanted to know.

Return to “Everything Else”