• In total there are 9 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What is critical thinking?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Aussie_Lifter
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Thomas Hood wrote:

Sometimes I search for more information(Internet, books), sometimes I ask someone who has experience, sometimes I experiment with the problem material, and since I have my hangups like everyone else, sometimes I procrastinate.

So, you use critical thinking techniques then?

According to your previous posts you wouldn't rely on others for your answer, as you'd be socially independant.

I think your idea of critical thinking is a bit extreme and you probably use the techniques more often then you realise.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Thomas, I am genuinely interested in an answer to my last question. What exactly have I been holding back? And how is holding it back a bad thing? You are being vague.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Holding back what?
Your background in critical thinking. Discussion has been ongoing for some time. Well, now that you're talking, what connection between critical thinking and General Semantics are you aware of? Can you give a single specific problem that you have solved because of your critical thinking training? Am I not right that the main function of critical thinking is the covert manipulation of attitude?

Tom
Think critically about critical thinking.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm done for 3 days here. I'm watching an episode of "Lost" and then going to bed. Leaving on a 2-day road trip tomorrow bright and early. So I won't be responding to your questions tonight or any time soon. But the answer is "Yes, I can give you numerous great examples of problems I have solved using critical thinking." Remind me in a few days. Gotta go.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Yea… I’m out too… its past my bedtime.

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Oh, hell. A few words before I continue with Lost.

Because I am a skilled critical thinker I can...

1. identify hexagrams as utter nonsense
2. conclude with a high degree of certainty that the Christian God is myth
2. rip apart astrology, psychics, ghosts, demons and other bullshit
4. identify fallacious arguments easily
5. see both sides of an argument and usually tell who is right and wrong
6. identify biases
7. solve puzzles, mysteries and such - at a far greater rate of success than most people
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

TH: "Am I not right that the main function of critical thinking is the covert manipulation of attitude?"

I get the feeling you stare blankly at my posts then move on to the next one. You are a prime example why thinking critically, without bias, is necessary. You're perfectly blind to opposing ideas. Your position is self defeating.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Not sure what direction your blinders are facing, but maybe these might be a bit more visible.

http://atheism.about.com/b/2006/02/13/c ... or-you.htm

A suggestion for our next reading topic:
http://www.prometheusbooks.com/index.ph ... a873e48fae

"It is strange that we expect students to learn, yet seldom teach them anything about learning." Donald Norman, 1980

"We should be teaching students how to think. Instead, we are teaching them what to think." Clement and Lochhead, 1980

"The phenomena of pseudo-critical thinking became common. States set up new testing strategies that were claimed to be higher order. California mounted a very expensive new testing system in reading and writing which was touted to be focused on critical thinking—when it in fact was simply subjective and poorly designed. The result was a political battle between the "liberals" who liked the test and "conservatives" who thought it advanced a liberal agenda. Eventually the governor vetoed the test."

From: http://www.criticalthinking.org/article ... istory.cfm
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Oh, hell. A few words before I continue with Lost.

Because I am a skilled critical thinker I can...

1. identify hexagrams as utter nonsense
2. conclude with a high degree of certainty that the Christian God is myth
2. rip apart astrology, psychics, ghosts, demons and other bullshit
4. identify fallacious arguments easily
5. see both sides of an argument and usually tell who is right and wrong
6. identify biases
7. solve puzzles, mysteries and such - at a far greater rate of success than most people
High IQ's people are notorious for leading wasted lives. "An IQ test doesn't make you intelligent; it makes you someone who performs really well on IQ tests." Crazy Bobby Fischer had an IQ of 167 too.

1. Judgment without understanding is irrational.
2. Myth is good, including belief in the magical power of critical thinking, provided it is not mistaken for science.
3. Judgment without understanding is irrational.
4. Success in employing fallacies is no evidence of rationality.
5. Arguments may have more than two sides (black and white thinking).
6. Physician, heal thyself.
7. Then why haven't you squashed the BookTalk bug?

I await your return, now that you're talking.

Tom
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Interbane wrote:I get the feeling you stare blankly at my posts then move on to the next one.
That's true, Interbane. I do "stare blankly at [some (but not all) of your] posts then move on to the next one" because you often attempt to send me on wildgoose chases to find information that you should find for yourself.

Tom

Return to “Science & Technology”