• In total there are 18 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The Outsiders-Life of a Greaser-Rewiew & Movie vs. Book

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.

Which is Better: Movie or Book?

Movie

No votes
Book

100%

Total votes: 1
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

The Outsiders-Life of a Greaser-Rewiew & Movie vs. Book

Unread post

Probably one of THE BEST books I've ever read. The Outsiders is a book about the life of a 14 year-old from the early 80s. He lives with his brothers, Soda Pop and Darrel, in a gang of 'Greasers', the underpriviliged people. The 'Soces', a.k.a. rich people, are having a long-term battle; the Soces are jumping the Greasers, and they aren't happy about it. It is a great story, summed up simply:

The life of a teenage kid in a gang of thieves, fighting the rich people and trying to win their pride back; while still avoiding getting killed.

Great book, I would definately recommend it to anyone.

If you've ever read this book, feel free to discuss it, as well as vote on the poll!
Last edited by Iluvbookz13 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Is the Outsiders the movie with Ponyboy? I watched the movie several times and loved it....if this is the same movie. But I never read the book.
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

Yup, it's the one with ponyboy :up: the book is FAR better than the movie, in my opinion. If you've watched and enjoyed the movie, you'll LOVE the book :smile:
Banana
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Oh, I remember this one... Poor guy.

Didn't make a lasting impression though. Maybe I ought to read it again.
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

What I loved about this book

Unread post

Every time I create a topic on a book, I fill out two reports:

1. The Book Report; I sum up the entire book in two or three sentances, explain why I enjoyed it and why I belive you will like it

2. In-Depth Feelings about the book; plot, ending, beginning, etc. All of the key parts that make a good book, a good book

[align=center]The In-Depth Report -- The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Written and Edited by ILuvBookz13
[/align]

Plot:
I thought, personally that the plot was well-based and well-planned. The author had the ability that all writers need to become great, being capable of hooking the audience almost as soon as they open the book, as if by a snap of fingers. The beginning hooks you, and gets you right into the main character's shoes. You almost immediately understand everything that is going on around him; you capture the scenery and character rotations instantly. You are able to comprehend each character's features and personality easily, giving you a complete understanding of the world from the main character's view.

As they say, books are almost like another dimension. S.E. Hinton puts those words into actions in The Outsiders.

Plot Development: 4/5 :up: :up: :up: :up:

Character Development, Interaction and Personality:
With every good bock, comes great character traits. Without great characters, what is a book, but a lot of pages with words on them?

The Outsiders has overall great character development, each character has a clear, detailed set of personality, physical features and daily rotation. What I mean by daily rotation is, they have a clear set of things they do every day, and occasionally, do to invading unexpected events, veer off, and do something else. Character Rotation is essentially Consistency.

Each character has their own unique well-balanced personality, and physical features. It is good to have a lot of difference between each character, as it tends to become boring when each character is the same, and you do not get to see much change.

Every character, little or large, plays a key part in the book's development and storyline. Whether it is simply filling a gap, or holding another's fate in their hands, they do their part and that's why this book is so awesome!

Character Traits: 4/5 :up: :up: :up: :up:

I've taken up too much space, I think you get the idea ;). I hope, if you have not read this book yet, that my report has encouraged you to read it soon!
----------------------------------------------
"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, but Today is a Gift; that is why they call it the Present."
GreyIxia
Freshman

Unread post

Ooh, I read this book last summer for required reading. They let us choose 2 of 4 books to read and I chose The Outsiders and To Kill A Mockingbird.

First of all, I chose The Outsiders because of the title honestly. I mean, The Outsiders? Sounds cool, doesn't it? Anything with an outcast in it is worth a read.

I liked the book and I cried too :'( when someone died (his name was possibly Jonny... I'm not sure...). I don't remember his name, but he was with Ponyboy when they ran away after they killed one of the rich kids. He got burned really badly anf there was no saving him *sobs*.

I didn't know that there is a movie version however. I guess I'll see if I can rent it from BlockBuster or something.

Also, many of my classmates could not believe that S.E. Hinton is a female when I told them. She also wrote the story when she was 16 and I think it wasn't published until her first year of college. Unlike my classmates, I read the Q&A available at the back of my book... So when I proved that I was right and they were wrong, I felt... oh, I don't know, elated? Yeah, that's it :). It's fun proving I'm right, and even funner to prove that they're wrong.
"The world has caught on fire, from what I've been told." - Picture Perfect (In Your Eyes) by 10 Years

"Innocence is ugly in the one who is guilty." - Fault Line by 10 Years

"Fools who are looking backwards chose to live as statues, frozen fractured; youthful laughter fades." - Dying Youth by 10 Years

The Truth Beneath The Rose by Within Temptation
GreyIxia
Freshman

Unread post

Ooh, nice in-depth report by the way.
"The world has caught on fire, from what I've been told." - Picture Perfect (In Your Eyes) by 10 Years

"Fools who are looking backwards chose to live as statues, frozen fractured; youthful laughter fades." - Dying Youth by 10 Years

uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

:clap: Kyaaaa!!!!! I'm so glad there are The Outsiders fans here, too!
I haven't seen the movie, but I have read the book several times. First, I borrowed it from a friend, but I loved it so much I hunted it down and bought it. Don't like the cover, though. it's different from the one posted here.

Dallas and Johnny, and the Soc (Randy?) - yeah, they died. Man, it really touched me. I love it so! I also really liked their gang. Ponyboy's brothers were so cool! :in_love:

:bow: :bow:
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

GreyIxia wrote:I chose The Outsiders because of the title honestly. I mean, The Outsiders? Sounds cool, doesn't it? Anything with an outcast in it is worth a read.

I liked the book and I cried too :'( when someone died (his name was possibly Jonny... I'm not sure...). I don't remember his name, but he was with Ponyboy when they ran away after they killed one of the rich kids. He got burned really badly anf there was no saving him *sobs*.
Iluvbookz13 wrote:IN REPLY: GreyIxia,
lol! I guess the title does grab you. Good for a book, eh? A good book needs a good title :).

You got the name right, it's Jonny. Really sad though, he was a good man, but he was really scarred for life. I think it was in the gang's best interest that Jonny was killed, not only because he fought bravely and died with courage, but also because he felt he had no point in life, and it got to te point where no one, not even his best friends, could change it.

GreyIxia wrote:Ooh, nice in-depth report by the way.
Iluvbookz13 wrote:IN REPLY: GreyIxia,
Thanks! It took some thought and hard work, but in the end, i'm really glad I took the time to make it :).

uod_sa_libro wrote: Kyaaaa!!!!! I'm so glad there are The Outsiders fans here, too!
I haven't seen the movie, but I have read the book several times. First, I borrowed it from a friend, but I loved it so much I hunted it down and bought it. Don't like the cover, though. it's different from the one posted here.

Dallas and Johnny, and the Soc (Randy?) - yeah, they died. Man, it really touched me. I love it so! I also really liked their gang. Ponyboy's brothers were so cool!
Iluvbookz13 wrote: IN REPLY: Uod_Sa_Libro,
I'm glad too! I haven't seen the movie, but I absolutely adore the books. Glad that you like it too!

Don't know a Soc, I can't remember at the moment who you may be referring to. It touched me as well! Like I said in reply to GreyIxia, Johnny died with courage and peace :). Dallas just lost it, he had no more left to live for, just like Johnny, so when Johnny died, he felt completely out of place.

If there were a sequel to this story, I would definately get it as soon as it came out!

Thanks for your replies, everyone! I'm glad that I could start a conversation on this book! It has been great! Keep it up!
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
GreyIxia
Freshman

Unread post

Well, I think that the different classes (Greasers and Socs) represent a more teen and subtle version of what is/was going on with classes in reality and real world. There is always someone on the top--always someone who ends up being preeminent to others.

There are also always those people who are being ridiculed and taunted because of ethnicity, religion, interests, and/or family and friends. Most of the times, I think that people are simply looking for reasons to taunt others. It's like pointing out someone else's flaws to avoid notice of your own. Though when being a bully, you also stimulate fear amongst your fellow peers.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”