• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

John Muir books ?

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Celinio
Creative Writing Student

John Muir books ?

Unread post

Hi,
I just came back from the Yosemite Park in California, while on a trip to the US.
There, for the first time, I read about John Muir, the naturalist.
He is very famous in the US.
Can someone recommend me 2 or 3 good books that he wrote ?

I already bought The Yosemite.

Thanks for your feedback.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

While I don't have any book recommendations I do want to say that I'm extremely jealous of your trip to Yosemite! :smile: This is on my short list of life goals so congrats to you for gaining that experience. How was it? What did you see?

Speaking of naturalists I'm going to propose that we read and discuss Darwin's Origin of Species or maybe Voyage of the Beagle in 2010. We have enough books on the menu for the rest of this year, but next year might be great for one of these classics. As you probably know Darwin was a naturalist. Not sure if John Muir is the same sort of naturalist as Darwin was.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Celinio
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Hello Chris,
It was amazing. It was a quick visit but it was enough to fill my head with fabulous landscapes.
I saw the Yosemite Valley, the Yosemite falls, the giant sequoias etc
I took many pictures. I hope to go again one day.
I am making a site about my trip in the US, with pictures, I can pm you the link when i am done if you are interested.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Yes, I'd love to see the photos. Please send the link whenever you have them online. You can also post photos right here in this thread or in our community photo album at http://www.booktalk.org/album.php
Sam Page
Getting Comfortable

Re: John Muir books ?

Unread post

Celinio wrote:Can someone recommend me 2 or 3 good books that he (Muir) wrote?
I have read loads of mountaineering-related literature, and John Muir is one of my least favorite authors. I feel like I just committed a sacrilege. Perhaps you should just head over to the library and read whatever they have. If you are like me, you'll stop reading after about twenty pages. That said, I sincerely hope that you enjoy what you find.

The one thing I have appreciated in Muir's tales are his descriptions of camping in the mountains. For instance, instead of hauling in a huge backpack filled with a month's salary worth of gear, he would carry a blanket and a loaf of bread. At night, he would build a fire, bury the coals, and sleep on top of them. I've spent a few memorable (and mostly sleepless) nights trying to emulate Muir in the mountains.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I don't know if you might have heard about the recent Ken Burns documentary on the National Parks. John Muir had most of one night on that show. I don't think that he is necessarily remembered today for his writing as much as for his advocacy for preservation. From what I've read of his, though, he did have a fine spiritual appreciation for our great landscapes.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Don't know about his books but I have hiked the John Muir Trail. North to South to be precise.

:book:
Sam Page
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Grim wrote:I have hiked the John Muir Trail. North to South to be precise.
That makes two of us, though I hiked south to north.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”