• In total there are 39 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The Catcher in the Rye

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Keith and Company

Re: The Catcher in the Rye

Unread post

I read it 25 years ago in high school. From what i remember, it spoke well to adolescents. You're not alone, you're not a freak, other people have the same concerns, wonders, fears... you're no more a mutant than that lemon sitting on your left.I don't think i'd read it again,now. Then it was practically a story about me (except, i knew where ducks went, i was in public school, and a trip to the museum meant arrowheads behind glass, not mannequins of indians you could look down the dress of). Now, i'd probably spend toomuch time formulating responses to his problems.Much like how i can't watch sitcoms any more where a half hour of fanciful mayhem and extreme social humiliation could have been avoided by use of a 10-second phone call or a short note.I heartily recommend it for anyone in High School, either a student or teacher.
bohemian_girl
Book Nut

Unread post

I recently read this book. I had very high expectations which weren't completely met but I didn't dislike it either. I'm 21 years of age and I think that if I had read this book in my mid teens I would have loved it and got into the angst of Holden more than I did now.

It is amazing to think that this book was written so long ago. A lot of the things addressed are still relevant to teenagers growing up on the outer today. The whole thing about him hating 'phonies' resonated with me. But I have to admit that I kept waiting for something to happen. I don't know if that's the best way to describe it but I found a lot of it uneventful. Just his thoughts for the most part and not a lot more. I never picked up on the duck analogy but it certainly does make sense.
BabyBlues
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Catcher in the Classroom

Unread post

I have taught Catcher for 11 years and I love it. However, I can also tell you that my students usually either are completely enamored with it or they abhor it.

I love it as a psychological debate. Is Holden really unbalanced or is he a normal teenager who has undergone severe stress (i.e. loss of younger brotherto lukemia, an older brother who could be a model and friend moving to California, the complete inattention of his parents, alienation, getting expelled from multiple schools, health issues, etc)? The diversity of the students' responses to this debate is really amazing.

While I do enjoy the novel, I also can understand some people's reservations. The book is in essence a conversation with a teenager. Holden is telling his story to someone, presumably a therapist of some sort, and as typical of a teenager he has digressions, seemingly unnecessary details, exaggerations, sweeping generalizations and a healthy (and some argue unhealthy) dose of cynicism.

"What really knocks me out is a book, when you're all done reading it, you wished the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it." -Holden Caulfield Chapter 3
My books
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I read Catcher at least 10 years ago in my early twenties and I can totally see the classic quality of the writing and the authors message, but I couldn't identify with the main character's self absorbtion and the way he hides from and deceives people.

My book discussion group in Dallas recently read Girls For Breakfast by David Yoo and they compared it to Catcher in the Rye. The self absorbed, self loathing teenager is all there in a story about the lone asian american boy in an upscale New England community. Again, I didn't like the lead character (get over yourself already!) and found myself complaining that there is no Catcher in the Rye for girls... :oops:
bookfanforever
Getting Comfortable

The Catcher In The Rye

Unread post

I brought this book a few days ago, can't read it now because i'm currently reading W.A.R The Unauthorized Biography of W. Axl Rose. The Catcher In The Rye is the next runner-up in my list, I really can't wait to read the book mostly because I've heard all the commotion about it and the controversy behind it.
Pinkpaper
Getting Comfortable

Re: The Catcher in the Rye

Unread post

I loved this book - im 29 and this wasnt on our reading list at school (UK school) so I was able to take this book at face value. My husband is now reading it and is relating to this also so I dont think its a 'teenager' thing.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”