• In total there are 9 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Luddite or techy?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

I keep thinking that I want a Kindle.

Then, I realize that I'll have to read my books on it, and I quit wanting it again. *G*

I just can't seem to give up the feel of a book in my hands and pages between my fingers. It's so much easier to curl up with a book than with a piece of machinery, in my opinion.

As for the rest of technology....

I like my laptop. I like my Ipod.

I love my techno-geek fiancee who can tell me how to make it all work.
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
bluet
Creative Writing Student

Re: Luddite or techy?

Unread post

I at first liked the idea of Kindle and then thought it through and came to the conclusion that I would go back to good old fashioned paper. I love the feel and even the smell of books. I do however listen to audio books often on my Ipod, which is so handy when I am doing something with my hands and makes the time go faster while performing mindless tasks, such as housework.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I have a Sony reader which I like pretty well. The complaints about reading from a screen do not apply to devices like this - it looks very much like reading from paper, not a computer screen. One cool advantage is when you see a book recommendation, you can own and start reading it several minutes later.

However, reading non-fiction electronically is a disadvantage. Charts & graphs etc aren't as readable and when you want to flip back to read footnotes or other notes at the end of the book, that's not very practical.
Jlane5516
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

As personally having a Kindle I have found a couple of problems. Mine crashes quite alot,and occasionally displays a image which is completely inreadable and stays that way for 20 minutes. I got a message saying that I had 2% of battery life left, I had just charged it.

Do not get me wrong, I absolutely love it. I am able to run around reading anything I want without having a bulky book.
"The constant questioning of our values and achievements is a challenge with which neither science nor society can remain healthy. "
-Bohr.

"Someday, on your tombstone, there will be two dates - and nobody realizes that all that mattered to you was that small dash in between"

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams

Return to “Science & Technology”