• In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

As Long As Men Can Breathe The Untold Story of Shakepeare's Sonnets

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Randy Kadish
Cunning Linguist

As Long As Men Can Breathe The Untold Story of Shakepeare's Sonnets

Unread post

I would describe Mr. Heylin’s book as more than just a well-researched history of Shakespeare’s sonnets and of theories about how and why they were published. One of Mr. Heylin’s key premises is that the bootlegging of manuscripts in Elizabethan times, like the bootlegging of rock music, was common. He then argues convincingly, in my opinion, that the sonnets were not authorized, and may have even been suppressed after publication by friends of Shakespeare. (The sonnets almost certainly caused a scandal.)

Also, Mr. Heylin makes the case that William Herbert was probably the so-called “Fair Youth” of the sonnets.

Mr. Heylin paints a vivid picture of the world of copywriting - if we can call it that - and of book publishing in Shakespeare’s time. The author then takes us on an historical journey about the republication of the sonnets, and about how they were forgotten for almost two hundred years until they were rediscovered, finally, by the Romantic poets.

Finally, Mr. Heylin puts forth a theory about who many have given Thorpe a manuscript copy of the sonnets. While I think the theory is a bit of a stretch, it does provide interesting historical information on Elizabethan literary life.

So Long As Man Can Breath is, for the most part, easy reading, almost as easy as a good detective novel. That is partly because the book has little critical analysis of the sonnets. (There is so much analysis elsewhere that readers shouldn’t be disappointed.) I would, however, have liked to have read a lot more about who Mr. Heylin thinks the Dark Lady might have been.

Then again, so many of our questions about Shakespeare’s sonnets will never be answered, but Mr. Heylin’s fair and balanced book brings us much closer to the truth.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: As Long As Men Can Breathe The Untold Story of Shakepeare's Sonnets

Unread post

It sounds very interesting, Randy. I'll have to pick it up. Have you read Bryson's Shakespeare: a Biography? Or rather an anti-biography, as there is so little on the man. Bryson does a very entertaining job, though, presenting a type of literary lost-wax mold, filling out the picture around the person of Shakespeare, that it is truly engrossing.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Yes, the book on the sonnets does sound interesting. Have either of you ever given any thought to the so-called identity controversy? I have to admit, when I read a book (whose name I've forgotten) contending that Shakespeare didn't write the plays, it had me going, and I'm not usually given to "conspiracy-type" theories. I recall that in college the professor, when asked about the identity thing, dismissed it as motivated by scholarly jealousy. The book at least persuaded me that the doubts have deeper reasons than that.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Believe it or not, I actually had a course on "Who Was Shakespeare Really" in my undergrad years at college (taught by a professor who always appeared in class in nice slacks, jacket and tie, but never a shirt). I think we went through the whole spectrum. Highly interesting. This was followed by a course on why Shakepseare could only be himself. I think, at least what I've been keeping up on, the fronts are still at odds with each other and there is not really any conclusive evidence in either direction. I go for the theory, (cough, cough) that whoever wrote the plays and sonnets, hats off to him/her. Doesn't really matter. They are indeed some of the most beautiful works in the world. And much of the vocabulary we use today in modern English appeared first in works of Shakespeare.

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

No, it doesn't really matter to the average person, to whatever degree the average person still cares about Shakespeare. To criticism it would make a difference, though. I think a different take on who the author was would have to influence the approach of critics to the work.

I'm still trying to picture the look. Was the chest hairy or smooth? Ah, academic freedom!
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill wrote: I'm still trying to picture the look. Was the chest hairy or smooth? Ah, academic freedom!
He, he. Not very appetizing, I remember. His reason for so doing was that they were required to wear a coat and tie to class and he thought coming without the shirt would be preferable to coming without the trousers.

Randy Kadish
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

The real evidence is overwheliming: Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare. Don't let anyone fool you.

Randy
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

For a highly clever, fun ride through literature, especially Bronte's Jane Eyre and Shakespeare and "who wrote the plays", you might want to read Jasper Fforde's "The Eyre Affair".

Randy Kadish
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

Shakespeare wrote the plays, I have no doubt, and so do all legitimate scholars.

I am looking forward to reading this:

http://www.amazon.com/Contested-Will-Wh ... _rhf_p_t_1

Randy

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”