• In total there are 28 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

what is your favorite musical?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
tomwhite56
Creative Writing Student

Re: what is your favorite musical?

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:It is interesting how different people have different tastes in music, musicals and other art forms. My wife and I walked out of Sweeney Todd after about 45 minutes. It was just too annoying for us. But the rest of the audience seemed mesmerized.
Try this. Rent the Angela Lansbury/George Hearn version and try that. What you may have seen was not necessarily what it's supposed to be. This, from the late 80s (I think) is what I would call the definitive version.
A likely story.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:It is interesting how different people have different tastes in music, musicals and other art forms. My wife and I walked out of Sweeney Todd after about 45 minutes. It was just too annoying for us. But the rest of the audience seemed mesmerized.
:shock:

My God, Sweeney Todd is amazing. Dark humor, gorgeous music, cannibalism! it doesn't get much better, really. When my parents first saw it in London many moons ago, my dad, not realizing how graphic the musical was going to be, had eaten kidney pie for lunch before the show. About halfway through, he got very, very ill. I found this absolutely hilarious at the time, but now it's less funny because he does have a thing about blood or even the idea of blood, because anytime he's caring for one of his family members in a hospital he passes out. From now on he's forbidden to be present when any of us have any surgical procedures, and even when we're recovering and he comes to visit the sight of an IV makes him a bit woozy.

Anyway, I can't choose one musical. I've seen many, performed in many, worked tech on many...it's practically in my blood.
I'd have to say some of my all-time favorites are Into the Woods, Les Miserables, Pippin, The Who's Tommy, Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, West Side Story, Candide, Sweeney Todd, Assassins, Hair, this list could go on forever. For your sakes, I won't let it. :lol:
hmrush
Gaining experience

Unread post

My favorites are definitely Wicked and Phantom of the Opera. I also loved Avenue Q, and Rent. Lion King was great live, and I have seen a few other good ones too. I am a total musical lover though, a little obsessive at that :D
H.M. Rush
"A mans errors are his portals of discovery" - James Joyce
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

What about Moulin Rouge?
give me the rainbow!
tomwhite56
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I guess I should amend my statement by saying that I don't care much for musicals. Especially these days, when it seems like if it has a title they'll make a musical out of it. The Ten Commandments: The Musical? Good grief! I've seen few musicals on stage. I saw Jesus Christ Superstar on Broadway several times, and Godspell I don't know how many times in its little off-Broadway theatre, and Pippin, which was a waste of money, and some repertory work. But I'd much rather see a film version than see it live. This no doubt makes me a very strange animal, but anyone could tell you that.
A likely story.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

tomwhite56 wrote:I guess I should amend my statement by saying that I don't care much for musicals. Especially these days, when it seems like if it has a title they'll make a musical out of it. The Ten Commandments: The Musical? Good grief! I've seen few musicals on stage. I saw Jesus Christ Superstar on Broadway several times, and Godspell I don't know how many times in its little off-Broadway theatre, and Pippin, which was a waste of money, and some repertory work. But I'd much rather see a film version than see it live. This no doubt makes me a very strange animal, but anyone could tell you that.
:shock:

I love Pippin! I was in Pippin!

Actually, I'm not shocked or offended at all that you feel that way about it. Pippin isn't for everyone, in fact, it's really most appreciated by theater insiders who happen to be history buffs with a need to find meaning in life. And that describes me to a T. :lol:

But I do think it has good music, sometimes lovely, sometimes silly, and sometimes absolutely beautiful. It moves me very much, sometimes more than deeper or more complex musicals.

But as they say, there's no accounting for taste, and to each his own and whatnot. ;)
wsscotti
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

vampire0x0master wrote:my favorite is either rent or little shop of horrors.
You guys really ask the HARD QUESTIONS!!!!
I can't name one I love love love musicals.
If you're a musical fan get in touch and we'll talk.

:)
Murasaki
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

My favorite move musical is The Sound of Music hands down. I haven't had the opportunity to see many musicals in the theater. I would really like to see Wicked.
Eyebrowse
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Jesus Christ Super Star I love the music in it. I'm talking about the video as I'm not a theatre goer. Has to be the music from the video or i can't listen to it. Same with Rocky Horror Picture Show if it isn't Tim Curry singing it doesn't sound right to me.
What though on hamely fare we dine,
Wear hoddin grey, an a' that?
Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine -
A man's a man for a' that.
blankspace101
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

missyannlala wrote:What about Moulin Rouge?
Hell yeah! I love Moulin Rouge. It takes #1 on my list of favorite movies for sure!
Ewan Mcgregor is simply the most amazing man alive lol he can act, sing, and look sexy doing it! The only person that comes close to him (and was my number one before Ewan came along) is Mathew Broderick ;) lol

Sadly I have not seen any live shows :( I really need to go see some I absolutely LOVE musicals! I'm a very deprived person I find lol
-why can't we all just have a little fun as we ponder our way through this crazy school of life?

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”