• In total there are 24 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Hello from Scotland

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Eyebrowse
Atop the Piled Books

Re: Hello from Scotland

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
Eyebrowse wrote:Hello just read War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy and decided to google for a book forum as I enjoyed it so much I thought there must be other folk out there who might want to rave along with me about this brilliant book. I turn forty this year and now i've read it I can't believe I didn't read it when I was in my teens as I've been a reader since I was old enough to read by myself.
Hello and welcome Eyebrowse!

I am in my forties, and I have just finished "War and Peace", and I have asked myself the same question, why did I wait so long to read it. I also fell in love with it. I think many people may be afraid of the length, but I found it to be a true page turner. Tolstoy's passion for his country and the people of Russia is overwhelming. I'm actually looking forward to reading it again.
Hello to you too,and thanks. I probably should read it again myself but in the future as I need time to let the story settle in my subconcious now. It is a page turner and nothing to be afraid of. I think a lot of people are afraid to read such a long book as they might feel they have failed intellectually in some way if they don't enjoy it or can't finish it. Nothing could be further from the truth of course. They just weren't ready for it like I wasn't or it wasn't to their taste.

My favourite character in the book was Pierre. Who was yours ? Poor Helene I felt sorry for her as she was a victim of her own circumstances I feel. Though I'm not saying how her story went or what those circumstances were. You will just have to read it for yourselves if you feel you want to. It would be criminal for me to say and spoil anyone's potential enjoyment of this fantastic book. :)

Tolstoy himself was quite the man wasn't he ? Thirteen kids he fathered. How did he find the time to write those books Lol. I respected him even more when I found that out as I have none and it takes me forever to write a page or two in my spare time.
What though on hamely fare we dine,
Wear hoddin grey, an a' that?
Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine -
A man's a man for a' that.
DarrenHumby
Master Debater

Unread post

Hello eyebrowse
Based on your love of War & Peace can I recommend Simon Scarrow's Wellington/Napoleon series of historical fiction. It is brilliant!
Best
Darren
www.darrenhumby.com
Eyebrowse
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

DarrenHumby wrote:Hello eyebrowse
Based on your love of War & Peace can I recommend Simon Scarrow's Wellington/Napoleon series of historical fiction. It is brilliant!
Best
Darren
http://www.darrenhumby.com
This is what I joined for, I'd never have goten this if i hadn't. Cheers my friend I will look for these books and read them :D
What though on hamely fare we dine,
Wear hoddin grey, an a' that?
Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine -
A man's a man for a' that.
DarrenHumby
Master Debater

Unread post

You are more than welcome, I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.
Best
Darren
www.darrenhumby.com

Return to “Everything Else”