• In total there are 19 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Anyone planning on watching Temple Grandin on HBO?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Re: Anyone planning on watching Temple Grandin on HBO?

Unread post

I haven't read any Pollen books. Aside from the matter of what I smugly (sometimes) refer to as being a case of enlightened self-interest (realizing and reducing environmental damage, promotion of diseases etc.) my main objection is that I find there to be too much objectification in a piece of meat - regardless of what actually is being referred to. This is a condition that makes me want to have as little to do with it as possible regardless of its benefits and costs. I consider it just an added arrow in the quiver that it is so detrimental in various ways.

How long have you been vegan? Was it a gradual process? First cutting back on meat, then vegetarian, then vegan? What brought about the change?

I wonder too why, on an individual ethical level, you believe it is wrong (if you do) to eat meat.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
thomaspatrick
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

no
Thomas...
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I watched the movie today. For the record, there are many degrees and types of autism, Temple is a very high-functioning autistic. The movie itself was pretty good, and I especially like the "Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be" line. Pretty much, those animals are going to be killed anyway, so why make them suffer in the process?

I've had experience with Autistic people (understatement of the century haha) and some of the situations in the movie were very familiar to me.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”