• In total there are 54 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Hocus Pocus!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: Hocus Pocus!

Unread post

Eyebrowse wrote:Of course it's unfair I wasn't arguing that it wasn't.
I don't think that was directed at you, Eyebrowse. I think she meant it was generally unfair. Which it is, of course, but certainly not your fault. :)
MidnightCoder

Unread post

I'd just like to toss in that likening homeopathy to traditional herbal medicine is a mistake. The two have about as much in common as phrenology and neurology do, which is approximately none.

Wicca may be a repackaging of older beliefs, but even the term Pagan is one that's been branded by the Church. Calling themselves witches in this day and age is (to me) more like the way blacks (wait, I can't say that anymore now either can I? African Americans then) call each other niggers as a way of destigmatizing the derogation.

And yeah, Wicca does have absolutely nothing to do with the disney-esque depictions of witches, which itself is just a repackaging of the old Christian hate for those that wouldn't be converted. Even if the collection of beliefs practiced today is fragmented and pasted back together due to massive losses of "true" ancient practices, it's still a lot deeper than pretty candles and sweet smelling incense - for those who pursue it anyway.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

MidnightCoder wrote:I'd just like to toss in that likening homeopathy to traditional herbal medicine is a mistake. The two have about as much in common as phrenology and neurology do, which is approximately none.

Wicca may be a repackaging of older beliefs, but even the term Pagan is one that's been branded by the Church. Calling themselves witches in this day and age is (to me) more like the way blacks (wait, I can't say that anymore now either can I? African Americans then) call each other niggers as a way of destigmatizing the derogation.

And yeah, Wicca does have absolutely nothing to do with the disney-esque depictions of witches, which itself is just a repackaging of the old Christian hate for those that wouldn't be converted. Even if the collection of beliefs practiced today is fragmented and pasted back together due to massive losses of "true" ancient practices, it's still a lot deeper than pretty candles and sweet smelling incense - for those who pursue it anyway.
I don't disagree on any point. It was my mistake to include homeopathy in with modern witchcraft and Wicca when I meant medieval and even earlier herbal concoctions instead. I also agree that to those who call themselves Wiccans or Pagans or even "witches," there is more to it than incense and candles and poetry meant to be taken as a "spell." I was only explaining what I have done on my own that was based in the early traditions of witchcraft. I don't follow any set rites or ideologies but take what I like from each and incorporate them into my own life. That was all I meant to put across, not that that is all there is.

Sorry if anyone misunderstood.
MidnightCoder

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:I don't follow any set rites or ideologies but take what I like from each and incorporate them into my own life.
I think this is the best way to go about it. For a long time I practiced what you could call a modern repackaging of Druidism, along with cherry picked aspects of Wicca, Native North American beliefs, and several other obscure religions. It worked, for me, for awhile. The deeper into it I got, the more I realized just how firmly entrenched the old beliefs were in their various fairy tale gods and goddesses. The realization that there simply wasn't a popular belief system, past or present, which was compatible with my own ideologies and didn't require belief in supernatural entities is what finally caused me to resign myself to pure atheism. I searched long and hard, many religions, but the one thing I never found was one shred of tangible evidence to support any of them. Eventually I just gave up.

Anyway, I'm rambling here, but I wanted to say that there is nothing wrong with cherry picking your beliefs from multiple sources, as long as you're honest with yourself in the process. It makes a lot more sense to do this than to embrace any one religion in its entirety when it clashes with your ideals, common sense, or core beliefs.

Btw, I wasn't offended in the least when I posted earlier. Just trying to correct a couple factual things, sorry if i sounded like a smart ass in the process.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

MidnightCoder wrote: Btw, I wasn't offended in the least when I posted earlier. Just trying to correct a couple factual things, sorry if i sounded like a smart ass in the process.
No worries. :)

I'm glad to hear your opinions, and you do an excellent job with the technical stuff (off topic, I know, but what can you do?).
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:
I don't think that was directed at you, Eyebrowse. I think she meant it was generally unfair. Which it is, of course, but certainly not your fault. :)
bleachededen, I feel as though you somehow no me. :) whoa.
give me the rainbow!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Heh. Great minds think alike. ;)
Eyebrowse
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:
OK, thanks for clearing that up, very kind of you. I feel like a great burden of guilt has been lifted from me now that you've explained everything to me that I failed to realise by myself. LOL.
What though on hamely fare we dine,
Wear hoddin grey, an a' that?
Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine -
A man's a man for a' that.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Whoa, holy sarcasm, Batman!

Sorry, man, I was just trying to help...
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

Whoa. I feel as though all my posts end up turning into huge debates! Yikes.
give me the rainbow!

Return to “Everything Else”