• In total there are 12 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

To Kill a Mockingbird

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

To Kill a Mockingbird

Unread post

I'm reading this for the first time, and I have to say, it's a lot better than I expected! A few of my friends and classmates read it, and most of them didn't like it. :o I especially like that the copy I borrowed from the library is fairly new and in good condition. That always helps with classics.

Maybe someone could provide more insight into the book? I'm just reading it for pleasure, so I'm not really on the look out for the hidden meanings and whatnot. :lol: :lol:

edit: I just got to chapter 6, by the way.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
missyannlala
Book Nut

Re: To Kill a Mockingbird

Unread post

well, my insight for this wonderful classic may not be too insightful, but nevertheless it'll be my straight forward opinion. Hope you find it useful or perhaps intriguing.

When I read any book, I try to find characteristics in the characters that are strong and valuable. Scout, she was a stubborn girl, but she stayed true to herself. I totally was drawn to her...which made me really love the story even more. Jem, well he seemed to be in his own head, doing his own 'big brother thing'. And Atticus, I think he was just absolutely the most mysterious character that I've ever been truly happy with. Usually I'm disappointed if a strong characters point of view is sorta missing.

Anyway, the Finch family is what makes the book all the more better. Their relationship, their will to strive no matter what, it made me all the more ready to find out what happens to them in the end.

I think you'll enjoy it!
give me the rainbow!
Paca57
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

OK, I have not read the book (hiss) but the film is on my best 10 ever list.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

From recollection...

...a fine book.

Isn't the Mockingbird portrayed as being some inoffensive happy-go-lucky-pleasantly chirping pal of creation? That's the reason, so I seem to recall, why it's supposed to be so bad to kill them. Well, they are in fact foul-mouthed aggressive bullies! So while I agree it's wrong to kill a mockingbird, "just because," I think Lee should have picked a more inoffensive creature for reader empathy. Here in the southern United States the Turkey Vulture is such a bird! And if we're really supposed to be looking past our prejudices, Finch, then how about a bird that for the most part doesn't actually hurt anything? Fine, literary license, call it a Turkey Condor.

I'm not sure though that I'm remembering the book accurately.
Last edited by Kevin on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Wine and Books
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I need to read this book again, but how to add to the list of 500+ novels I need to read?!?!!???!?!?!?!??! :D :lol: :roll: :mrgreen: :P :clap: :mbounce: :king: :clap2: :up:

OK, getting silly. This was a novel I read in 9th grade and the one that totally got me interested in literature. Before we had read Great Expectations by Dickens, but that was literature as I "expected". I was in shock we were reading about alleged rape, and I could feel inside a black mind (I was as white as can be inside mid west America). I was hooked. At the same time I was also reading "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret" by Judy Blume and again could not believe literature gave me a window into the world.
A good book is only made better with a glass of wine........
Tati-Ana
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I was both impressed and puzzled by the book. Impressed by its awesome simplicity and talent in attempt to explain the world from child's point of view and puzzled about the role of Boo Radly and the title. This whole mystery about staying at home by his choice seems to me completely superfluous and unnecessary. But in general the book isabsolutely great.
Rob Dunbar
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Kevin wrote:Well, they are in fact foul-mouthed aggressive bullies!
Thanks, that was great. Totally cracked me up. I've always been extremely fond of mockingbirds, but, yes, they are total brats.

Is anyone familiar with the Harper Lee's bio? Fascinating woman. But such tragedy! All those years she spent working on her second novel, only to have the only manuscript stolen in a burglary -- I think it probably would have killed me. No wonder she stopped writing.
Robert Dunbar
UninvitedBooks.com
DunbarAuthor.com
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Rob Dunbar wrote:Is anyone familiar with the Harper Lee's bio? Fascinating woman. But such tragedy! All those years she spent working on her second novel, only to have the only manuscript stolen in a burglary -- I think it probably would have killed me. No wonder she stopped writing.
yikes indeed! But no, I don't know anything about her beyond my vague recollection of To Kill a Mockingbird.

wilde - have you finished it yet?

ps: and blue jays... another bratty bird. The bully of the bird-feeder! These guys would wait until sparrows were neatly ringed around the circumference of the feeder and then come tearing in, plopping themselves down in the middle knowing full well that it would send the sparrows screaming with fright into the sky. Anyway, now with four cats the decision was made to put away the bird feeder.
Last edited by Kevin on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Yes, I finished it. I'm thinking about rereading it during spring break. :)
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
rocio44
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

It's a great book, gets better towards the end!!
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view--until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it." Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird

Return to “What are you currently reading?”