• In total there are 78 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 76 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Do you decide in the first two pages if you like the book or not?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
jaywalker
Experienced

Re: Do you decide in the first two pages if you like the book or not?

Unread post

Started to read ''McCarthey's Bar''. The Irish were lovable,the English uptight,the Germans humourless and the Italians had Style. I couldn't read more than a chapter.
DaK
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

jaywalker wrote:Started to read ''McCarthey's Bar''. The Irish were lovable,the English uptight,the Germans humourless and the Italians had Style. I couldn't read more than a chapter.
Sounds like a wonderful character study, (yes, that was sarcasm) --- the author must have read "Stereotypes for Dummies" before writing.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere" -- Carl Sagan
Rancher1
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I am afraid I am guilty of giving up on books to soon that don't grab me in style or content within the first twenty pages.

I am not very proud to say that there has been two book that I have read recently that I gave up within the first two pages because I didn't like the authors writing, (to many adjectives).
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Books that i really like i usually consume in a couple of reading sessions. Books that are just OK, but i am still interested in finishing usually get relegated to bathroom readers.

I grabbed a "best of" H.P. lovecraft and it was a bathroom book until i got to "The Dunwich Horror" which i have really been enjoying.

Some books arent exactly my taste, but i read through them anyway, determined to get my money's worth. I persisted in reading Paradise Lost, despite the slog. That doesnt always work out. I found a copy of "Shardik" and pressed through some boring parts based on good word of mouth.

I got all the way to the last chapter before putting the book down in disgust. The characters had learned nothing, and they were just as useless and pathetic as they started out.

That is an exception though. If i drop a book, it is usually after about 3 chapters.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Eunoia
Getting Comfortable

Re: Do you decide in the first two pages if you like the book or

Unread post

I usually read the first couple of pages, sometimes the first chapter, to see if I like the book.
If I'm not that interested in what's happening, it rather depends. Sometimes I think it'll get better so I keep reading, but other times I just can't see it going anywhere so I stop reading it. Also, it depends why I'm reading it. If I'm reading it for pleasure, then I must've been attracted to it for some reason so I tend to keep reading. Whereas if I'm reading it for university say, I'll read as far as I want to and then question why it didn't interest me. Sometimes reading books for university, you know you 'have' to read them so it may make the book less interesting and reading the book more of a chore.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I think that i give a book a chance up until the first big event. If i am reading and then some kind of bomb-shell takes place, i think i judge it on that. Did this twist interest me, or was it lame?

A character reveals something interesting about their life. the world has soemthing interesting in it that differs from ours. there is an intelligent comment on society.

something along those lines i think. if that comes through and is no good, the book gets dropped.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Sigilscrye
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Personally I'm a big fan of referrals and book reviews. I won't buy a book unless I've researched it first and I normally won't read a book unless I own it. Libraries are okay for research but I hate waiting for books to come in and the more popular fiction books are almost always checked out.
Shalimar
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Gosh, it almost makes me feel guilty and dirty that way ... I believe I could make a good editor. If the first page of a book doesn't capture me, it's doomed, I never touch it again. On the same premise that life's too short and there are so many good books out there. I tend to remember first lines of novels, or let myself be impressed by them.
Paul Auster's really good at first lines.

Almost missed The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo too, but I had read reviews and pushed myself to read through the first very very boring 60 pages or so ...

Return to “Everything Else”