• In total there are 83 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 81 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Best Science Fiction Authors

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
chimaybliss
Getting Comfortable

Best Science Fiction Authors

Unread post

Who are the best science fiction authors in your opinion. This is my list. I know all of these authors are from the "golden age" and there are not any new authors. Time will tell if any newer author bumps someone off.....

http://bookstove.com/science-fiction/to ... f-all-time
WCVNIII
Official Newbie!

Re: Best Science Fiction Authors

Unread post

One of the best books I ever read was by Neil Stephenson, Anatham (new school). And the series by Dan Simmons were awesome (The Hyperion Series (two series of two books each) is what I am thinking of by Simmons). Those are fairly recent books though, and I wouldn't argue with the list you gave, except to bump Frank Herbert (I think God Emperor of Dune might be the best book ever written) up a few, and maybe find a way to add A. E. Van Vogt.
margie
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I have read most of these authors when I was in my teens, because my elder brother shared his science fiction collection with me. :lol: Frank Herbert is still a top writer, because of his research and elegant style. All those years being a reporter and in the navy, give his book a vividness and reality that is believable. I haven't read Philip K Dick yet and I hope I won't be disappointed. I've heard some people say that the novella is science fiction's best form.
My continued favorite writers are Ursula K LeGuin, Octavia Butler, Jasper fforde, Fritz Leiber (his short stories), Nancy Farmer, Zenna Henderson. Of the cyberpunk novels, I prefer Stephenson's SnowCrash to Gibson's Neuromancer.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I must add in Orson Scott Card, and Peter Hamilton. They are newer sci-fi authors, and very good.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I like Orson Scott Card's books, but i was sad to see this:

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2004-02-15-1.html

He dislikes the idea of gay marriage so much he practically wrote an entire book on the issue.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

James Blish. He wrote a 4 book series compiled into a volume called Cities in Flight which I read as a teenager. Later he sold his soul to write Star Trek books which were supposed to be the written version of the episodes. It was a very unsatisfactory series since he insisted on varying the storylines.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

haha, yeah, that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I suppose that would be a pretty un-satisfying job, though.

I guess you would take the script and prose up the environmental descriptions and have to write up all the emotes... that sounds pretty boring.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Seraphim
Gaining experience

Unread post

I'll third Orson Scott Card. I moved in the middle of reading Ender's Game and had to return it to the library. :( I loved what I'd read to that point, and I hope to have a go at the series again sometime soon.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune
MartinParish
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I'd have to agree with that list but with a few caveats. I think H. G. Wells should be at the top rather than Jules Verne, if only because the Time Machine and Island of Dr. Moreau were so superb. I think Ender's Game is such a great book it entitles Orson Scott Card to a slot on the list as well. Finally, the only author whose presence on the list I think is unwarranted would be Isaac Asimov. I know he's supposedly a great sci-fi author because of his ideas and so on so forth, but I've never really been able to enjoy his books...neither the plots nor the characters nor the writing style were particularly compelling. His books read more like logic puzzles than stories to me, although granted that's just my opinion. Other than that, good list.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

Another vote for Orson Scott Card...
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”