• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Official Fiction Book Poll: Vote for our June, July & August 2010 FICTION book!

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: Official Fiction Book Poll: Vote for our June, July & August 2010 FICTION book!

Unread post

I'm doing the opposite of Suzanne:

Two votes for: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
One vote for: Kafka On The Shore

Murakami is simply a master!
Although I have to admit toying with the thought of nominating "Snow Flower" as well. Sigh. Too many books to read, too short of a life. Do I detect an Asian theme here?
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: Official Fiction Book Poll: Vote for our June, July & August 2010 FICTION book!

Unread post

3 votes for Cryptonomicon.

I'm really interested in World War II and I'd like to see how Stephenson tackles it. I'm also very interested to see how he contrasts the technology of the 1940s and the code breakers who used the German enigma device against them, and the future world that uses sophisticated computer languages to do pretty much anything, and how people in the past view the future, and how people in the future view the events of the past. Even though this book is supposedly nothing like Snow Crash, I can tell Stephenson will have some really fascinating tricks up his sleeve that will provide many topics for discussion. I remember reading about the Sumerian language in Snow Crash, and its primal, physical connection to the brain and the Chomskyan suggestion that humans are "hardwired" to receive language, and thinking of the layers of knowledge and language on top of the baser primal knowledge of ancient language as hardware and software and wishing I had someone who was also reading what I was reading to discuss the ideas with. While my boyfriend was very patient and interested, discussion of an exciting topic in a book isn't the same unless the person you're talking to is reading the same thing you are and has the same basic knowledge of the ideas behind it. I wish I had had BookTalk for that one, and I would like to read Cryptonomicon with the kind of insight and literary background the BookTalk community has to offer.

Please let me read this with you! :cry:
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Any more votes? We don't have enough people voting currently to select a winner.
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

1 each Book 2, 4, and 5. These all look really good!
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I vote two for Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (#4), and one for Kafka On The Shore (#3). I guess I sort of split the vote by suggesting two books by the same author. It wasn't intentional!
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I think Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is looking pretty good!
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

3 votes for book # 4
it seems to be the one most likely to pique my curiosity
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

book 3

it sounds intriguing, just the type of book that I would like to read!
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'll cast 3 votes as follows...

2 for Bird and 1 for Snow

Current Tally

1 Crypt = 3
2 Help = 1
3 Kafka = 7
4 Bird = 14
5 Snow = 5

Let's end this poll tomorrow night.
meliamom
Creative Writing Student

Re: Official Fiction Book Poll: Vote for our June, July & August

Unread post

Well, I guess I'm all alone! Three votes for The Help. I think there could be a lot of great discussions about roles of women and race. I was going to read this book anyway, and I would be great to discuss with others. Also, it looks like a quick read, so I can get caught up with Don Quixote by the end of June :)

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”