• In total there are 40 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

Possible second fiction book

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Possible second fiction book

Unread post

Hey Bleach, and anyone else who may not want to read, "one of those Japanese books", do you want a few more choices? I have always wanted to read, "Good Omens", Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett. Two other books that are on my list to read are: something (haven't decided which one) by Chuck Palahniuk, and, "Mara and Dann", Doris Lessing.

Also, wilde mentioned, "The English Patient".

Would anyone have any interest in one of these for a possible second fiction book discussion? DQ is done in June.
meliamom
Creative Writing Student

Re: Possible second fiction book

Unread post

I would like to read The Help, and I gave it my three votes. I'm not familiar with the Doris Lessing novel you mentioned, but I am familiar with the author. I agree that it seems that most of the books for the fiction vote are the same genre.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

If it's not The English Patient, I'd go for one of those books as well alongside the one from the official poll.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
Darcia
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I read Rant by Chuck Palahniuk and, I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't like it. I haven't read The English Patient, yet, but it's on my to-read list. (Along with almost 400 others!)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I would read any Palahniuk (I've read Fight Club and Lullaby, but would even be willing to read one of those again), and even though I just finished reading Good Omens for the second time a few weeks ago before my obsession with Dune, I would definitely read it again in a heartbeat, especially with BookTalk members to discuss it with. It's just so much fun!

I don't know anything about the Lessing book but I've heard good things about her and would be willing to give her a try, but I definitely don't want to read The English Patient, and The Help just doesn't seem to be calling to me the way it calls to everyone else. So those two aside, I'm game for anything.

And maybe I'll even try to read one of those Japanese books, too. We'll see. ;)

Also, thanks Suzanne (and undoubtedly Chris O'Connor) for giving us an alternative to the other official book that some of us may not want to read. I know you don't have to, and I appreciate that BookTalk is so accommodating and wanted to make sure I thanked you for that. :)

:thankyou:
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Bleachededen, trust me, "The English Patient" didn't call to me either. It's required reading for me. :lol:
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

wilde wrote:Bleachededen, trust me, "The English Patient" didn't call to me either. It's required reading for me. :lol:
I don't think The English Patient calls to anyone, but that's just me. I was referring to The Help. So many people have been praising this book to heaven and because I have a stubborn/rebel streak in me, that just makes me want to read it even less. It just doesn't seem appealing to me, and I won't read something just because someone else says it's good. It can't be helped.

Good luck with The English Patient, there, girlie. At least you can take solace in the fact that the book is probably far less tedious than the movie. :lol:
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

It's funny, but part of what I've always thought was great about book clubs were people reading things they didn't want to read. :D For example, I was in a book club that had a "You read EVERY book" policy and while I was completely uninterested in Timothy Findley, when his book came up I dutifully read it - and really liked it! The diversity that I was forced to experience really broadened my horizons. Granted, I did not like every book I read, but overall it was a great experience.

Side question: what is so off-putting about Japanese writers?

Also: don't see why the hate for Japanese writers? I didn't know they were so offputting.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Theomanic wrote:It's funny, but part of what I've always thought was great about book clubs were people reading things they didn't want to read. :D For example, I was in a book club that had a "You read EVERY book" policy and while I was completely uninterested in Timothy Findley, when his book came up I dutifully read it - and really liked it! The diversity that I was forced to experience really broadened my horizons. Granted, I did not like every book I read, but overall it was a great experience.

Side question: what is so off-putting about Japanese writers?

Also: don't see why the hate for Japanese writers? I didn't know they were so offputting.
There's no hate, from me, anyway, but it's not the type of book I want to read at this time, and nothing I've read about either of the Murakami books intrigues me enough to want to read it, and the hype that I have seen buzz about it makes it even less appealing. There is such a thing as taste, and as I am not in a college classroom but in a voluntary book forum where I can have a say in what I would like to discuss, I would like to see options for people who may not like the book that wins the popular vote. Yes, there is something to be said about broadening horizons, but on a site that asks users to determine books and doesn't assign them, I feel that I shouldn't be "forced" to read anything. Reading is supposed to be pleasurable, not a chore, and "forcing" me to read either one of the Japanese books that are winning in the poll would not broaden my horizon, but distance me from this community, which I would hate to have happen because I really like being on this site.

I don't see how this could affect you negatively, Theomanic, since the way the poll is going, either book you suggested will be up for discussion. Here we are just trying to suggest a second book to go along with it for those who don't want to read the official books from the poll, and I see absolutely no harm in that.

Also, our ideas about book clubs are a bit different. I would never join a group that forced me to read a book I didn't want to read, or I just wouldn't read that book with the group and get kicked out if the rules were like the one you were in. Reading is always pleasurable for me, but I like to at least have an interest in the subject matter/style of a book, and if I don't have that, I won't want to read it, and even if I do read it, it will cease to be a pleasurable experience and thus negate the whole purpose of reading. You may think one way, but others think differently, and that is why a second book has been suggested, and I am very grateful to Suzanne and Chris O'Connor for allowing us another option.

Also note that if many readers of fiction don't read the books from the official poll, there will be little discussion actually taking place, and that causes members and prospective members to shy away from the site, thinking that nothing is actually discussed here, which will hinder BookTalk's goal to get more members and strong discussions going. Having two books going at the same will invite more discussion, and maybe even cross discussions from one book to the other. While you might see it as being closed-minded, I think it will actually be very beneficial to BookTalk members and the site as a whole.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Ok, so lets decide on a second fiction book.

I'll throw in: "Mara and Dann", Doris Lessing

http://www.amazon.com/Mara-Dann-Adventu ... 006093056X

I would love to read anything by Chuck Palahniuk, (would love to read "Fight Club" actually) or "Good Omens", Gaiman/ Pratchett.

So, what do you all think? What other suggestions do you guys have? Lets try to pick something within the next week or so.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”