• In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

Seen any good movies recently?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
meliamom
Creative Writing Student

Re: Seen any good movies recently?

Unread post

I recently watched An Education with Carrie Mulligan. It was recently nominated for an Oscar, and it was solid acting and a pretty basic plot. It basically brought up the question of the value of an education (especially for women in the 1960s). The only part I didn't like was the ending. I won't spoil it for anyone, but the ending seemed too unrealistic even though the movie was based on a true story.
Eunoia
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I saw 'Street Dance' (in 3D) a couple of days ago. I thought it was pretty good. The romance involved and the ending was predictable, but it was still a good film, with lots of great dancing and morals in a way. I read a few reviews of it mentioning that it was blurry - I guess it was at times but it's street dancing so.. - and that basically it was trying to copy films like 'Step Up' but I haven't seen 'Step Up'. Anyway, I thought 'Street Dance' was good so I recommend it! It has Diversity, Faithless and George Sampson in it too who are great.
stiffanbond
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I saw No Country for Old Men last night, and I think it was the best one I've seen in a long time - great storyline and great dialogue.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Prince of Persia was pretty good.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
KristoffX
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I thought The Hurt Locker was great, but it seems like a lot of people disagree.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Currently half-watching Inglourious Basterds, one of my favorite movies of ever.

I totally wish it wasn't fiction! :lol:
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

I was struck by the contrast in two movies I saw recently. In a way, they were similar, in other ways, quite different.

One was the currently popular move “Avatar”. When I saw it, I thought to myself: technically, this film is so revolutionary, it’s bound to change the way we go to movies. I also thought: considering the $300m budget, it’s too bad they couldn’t have afforded to hire a professional writer. All those special effects, and a comic book story line. I hope this doesn’t say anything about the level of culture in our society today.

The second movie was “The Road”. I’m sure this move couldn’t have cost much to make, certainly not by contemporary standards. This is a movie that also has an existential warning about human activities, although it is presented in a totally different fashion than Avatar. Instead of bright primary colors and familiar clichés, the film is unrelentingly bleak. If one is prone to depression, then they should sprinkle some Prozac on their popcorn before seeing this film. The writing was sparse and unpretentious. But it had a colossal impact, on myself anyway.

Maybe this says something about movies today. It is the creative juices that are important. Technology is not enough to make up for the lack of it.
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

etudiant wrote:Maybe this says something about movies today. It is the creative juices that are important. Technology is not enough to make up for the lack of it.
Amen. I could not have said this better myself.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Avatar was very good visually, but the plot left a lot to be desired, I agree. It was a bit cliche: guy saves tribe, falls in love with sexy tribe member, and joins tribe.

I haven't seen The Road yet though. The book is one of my favorites, and it is very bleak. I cried at the ending. :(

Shelfari!
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Okay, I saw Splice today. It started off very good, but after a certain sex scene (if you see it, you'll know what I mean), it went downhill and got very weird and disgusting after that point. -shudders-

Not the worst movie I've seen but I still wish I had seen Get Him to the Greek instead. :shock:

Shelfari!

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”