• In total there are 19 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Britain's sense of independence

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
justanumber
Almost Comfortable

Britain's sense of independence

Unread post

Well... I'm going to ask you to help me with my daily question.
As you maybe know, I'm studying english language and culture (even if it doesn't seem from my poor english, right?!:D) so I'd like to know why Britain feels such a strong sense of independence from the rest of Europe.
Since the 1973 it is part of the European Union, but it doesn't want to accept neither the currency nor the metric measurements.
Now, I agree with Britain, just because I don't like the EU way of thinking about politics, economy and, above all, justice... but in my book there are some questions about the british behaviours whom I can't give any answer.
I find very very right the british government decision to let people vote and choose if be with or against new reforms.
I think that our current currency (that has caused rising prices) and our bad political administration are causing a lack of the real sense of democracy in the country.
So, I strongly hope that Britain will save itself from that situation in which, unfortunately, we are right now.
GaryG48
Sophomore

Re: Britain's sense of independence

Unread post

When I was last in the UK -- 2001, they were completly on the metric system except the speed limits on roads. In fact, people were being fined for advertising items with weights in lbs. and oz.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
justanumber
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Oh, thanks for the information.
Here I read that just in 2010 every double labels will have to end..
Genocide
Intern

Unread post

As GaryG48 said they're pretty metric. I don't recall hearing anyone use pounds for anything but money.... which then leads to currency.

Is the GBP not currently stronger than the Euro? Economically I feel as if it makes more sense to stick with sterling at the moment.
justanumber wrote: so I'd like to know why Britain feels such a strong sense of independence from the rest of Europe.
Firstly, what is Europe? I personally find it hard to define. Regardless...

Doesn't every country feel as if they're better than the rest? Whether they're a failed state or a legitimately strong power, they feel entitled. The University I attend has proven that every student had been told they come from the best nation. Students from Denmark, the U.S., England, Israel, Egypt, etc. They all claimed to have been taught to believe it. Britain is no exception and with their history of being a force not to be messed with, it's easy to see why. Even without the Atlantic in the way, the U.S. would never join. It's a flaw, it's tragic, but some catharsis seems to be in order to help the situations at hand. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem likely to happen.
Dropping glasses just to hear them break.
justanumber
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Yes, you're right. Every country generally feels better than the others. I disagree with that way of thinking, I've definitely no preference on a specific country, even if here there is a really strong traditionalism (that I have not absorbed)... and I still believe that each place in the world has got its flaws and its qualities, too.
To be honest, I'm not crazy for my own country, and if I could, I'd go away from here.
As for your informations on their currency, I have to say thank you because perhaps my book hasn't been updated enough(:
Genocide
Intern

Unread post

I wouldn't be so trusting. It's what I heard and assumed, your sources may be better than mine... but you're welcome anyway? :]

Hm, you're Italian then? Well like you said, every country (but mine) has flaws! I joke. But no matter where you'd "go away" to I think you'd run into some type of issue that would make you want to move. Right?
Dropping glasses just to hear them break.
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

My opinion: don’t abandon Italy justanumber. Many places would be a disappointment in comparison.
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane
justanumber
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Genocide wrote:I wouldn't be so trusting. It's what I heard and assumed, your sources may be better than mine... but you're welcome anyway? :]

Hm, you're Italian then? Well like you said, every country (but mine) has flaws! I joke. But no matter where you'd "go away" to I think you'd run into some type of issue that would make you want to move. Right?
Yes, it's right. I'm getting annoyed by so many issues.
I'd like to learn more about other cultures, find out new places and forget this narrowminded island where I am.
My decision has already been taken.
etudiant wrote:My opinion: don’t abandon Italy justanumber. Many places would be a disappointment in comparison.
Believe me, here too many things are disappointing;D I mean, I'm used to it!;D
I don't aim too high, anyway
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I think a lot of Britain's cultural identity is tied up with their history, so I could see why they would be very resistant to adopt newer policies such as a change in measurements or currency. While they are adopting some changes now (as mentioned) they are very slow at it. Perhaps my view from one of the colonies is biased, but I think a lot of cultures with a long history pull value from it. England seems even more heavily influenced by it, especially as there seems to be an attitude of old ways = class, new ways = trash. I think some English people are very proud of their old-fashioned habits and ways.

As to every country being told they're the best, I can see why that is done. I don't know if I think Canada is "the best", but I do know my pride in being Canadian affects my attitude. It makes me more likely to stay here, it makes me more amenable to things that are seen as "typically Canadian" (like peacekeeping and maple syrup ;) ), and it makes me more invested in my country and its future (so I vote, worry about the environment, etc). All this is personal experience so perhaps not evidence of anything, but I definitely think my positive view on my country causes me to act more positively toward it.

Having said all that, I think it's important not to be smug. Like I said, I think Canada is a good place, but I don't know about "the best". I see value in other cultures, and if one is too indoctrinated into thinking your country is the best and all others are schmucks, you'll become very arrogant and more importantly not be able to adapt and change for the better.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski

Return to “Current Events & History”