• In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What music are you currently listening to?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: What music are you currently listening to?

Unread post

Penelope, I knew the 1812 Overture was about the Russians versus the French (thus the use of the French national anthem, La Marseillaise, throughout the work), because my mother teaches music history at a local college, but wiki is correct that we in the states use the piece during fireworks displays on the 4th of July, without fail. Anywhere you go that has decent, professional fireworks uses the 1812 Overture, at least the last section of it, for their finales. I think they do it because it fits so well, and of course no one (other than the few like me and my family) knows why they're using the music, and they're too busy watching fireworks to care, anyway. I'm not saying I'm bitter about it or anything, I just find it amusing, and I certainly enjoy the music while I'm watching my second favorite sky phenomena. :-D
Last edited by bleachededen on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Leonard Cohen - Suzanne
Genocide
Intern

Unread post

Bang Bang by Nancy Sinatra
Dropping glasses just to hear them break.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Good song, Genocide. :)

Nine Inch Nails - Where Is Everybody? (Danny Lohner Mix Featuring Telefon Tel Aviv)
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Penelope, I knew the 1812 Overture was about the Russians versus the French (thus the use of the French national anthem, La Marseillaise, throughout the work), because my mother teaches music history at a local college, but wiki is correct that we in the states use the piece during fireworks displays on the 4th of July, without fail. Anywhere you go that has decent, professional fireworks uses the 1812 Overture, at least the last section of it, for their finales. I think they do it because it fits so well, and of course no one (other than the few like me and my family) knows why they're using the music, and they're too busy watching fireworks to care, anyway. I'm not saying I'm bitter about it or anything, I just find it amusing, and I certainly enjoy the music while I'm watching my second favorite sky phenomena. :-D
I must say, in my defence, that I did not think that the 1812 Overture was about the war of 1812, which after all is barely a footnote in history, but rather I was poking a bit of lighthearted fun at our American friends. Thanks Penny for the real history, quite interesting.
KristoffX
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Sigur Ros ( )
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

giselle wrote:
bleachededen wrote:Penelope, I knew the 1812 Overture was about the Russians versus the French (thus the use of the French national anthem, La Marseillaise, throughout the work), because my mother teaches music history at a local college, but wiki is correct that we in the states use the piece during fireworks displays on the 4th of July, without fail. Anywhere you go that has decent, professional fireworks uses the 1812 Overture, at least the last section of it, for their finales. I think they do it because it fits so well, and of course no one (other than the few like me and my family) knows why they're using the music, and they're too busy watching fireworks to care, anyway. I'm not saying I'm bitter about it or anything, I just find it amusing, and I certainly enjoy the music while I'm watching my second favorite sky phenomena. :-D
I must say, in my defence, that I did not think that the 1812 Overture was about the war of 1812, which after all is barely a footnote in history, but rather I was poking a bit of lighthearted fun at our American friends. Thanks Penny for the real history, quite interesting.
Oh, no, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you didn't know your history...I just wanted to let Penelope know that I knew, too. I'm sorry I put you on the defensive, I totally didn't mean to. You're right about the War of 1812. I'd bet you $100 most Americans don't even know it happened. But I'm broke, so we'll have to go with a bet of nothing and just take it as being funny. ;)

Sorry, again. No offense meant, giselle. :happy2:
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

Johnny Cash, Bridge Over Troubled Water
Great song but Johnny doesn't do much for it. Think I'll listen Simon and Garfunckel instead.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

bleachededen:
Oh, no, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you didn't know your history...I just wanted to let Penelope know that I knew, too. I'm sorry I put you on the defensive, I totally didn't mean to. You're right about the War of 1812. I'd bet you $100 most Americans don't even know it happened. But I'm broke, so we'll have to go with a bet of nothing and just take it as being funny.
I wasn’t in the least offended. I freely admit that my historical knowledge is spotty at best and I had intended to be funny in the first place. I agree that the war of 1812 is obscure but, of course, if the war had turned out differently I might know the words to Star Spangled Banner, which I don’t, but I can hum the first few bars. Also, if it had turned out differently you can bet that American history books would be filled with it. I did visit the memorial to the War of 1812 at Queenston Heights close to Niagara Falls not long ago. While I was standing in this quite beautiful place, I thought about how many people visit the Falls and how few likely visit this interesting historical site so close by. It’s strange that at least some Canadians attach a sense of nationalism to this war and this site because Canada was not even a nation in 1812. And, this is top secret, but we have left the border undefended, just in case you want to have another go.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

giselle wrote:And, this is top secret, but we have left the border undefended, just in case you want to have another go.
I'll tell my Canadian border infiltration crew to stand by. ;)

(I don't really have one, don't start ringing any alarms or anything. :lol:)

Return to “Everything Else”