• In total there are 17 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What do you think of the Kindle or electronic readers?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bookwormservice
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: What do you think of the Kindle or electronic readers?

Unread post

I think if you are wanting an electronic reader, you can't beat an IPad. I believe it is actually less expensive than a Kindle or Nook.
Veneer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

An iPad for less than $189? Where?
“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time." Edward P. Tryon
Endlessreader
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I have to post on here because I am a Kindler :) I find myself on both sides of the argument. I was sold right away when they came out because my husband despises the number of books I have :) I like to re-read books and some books I collect that are rare, etc. so I had quite a collection.

I still have a collection of hardback books that will never go. They cannot be replaced, many are books that have sentimental value or have pictures that cannot be duplicated on an ereader.

I purchased my Kindle when they first came out. I love being able to put it in a pocket in my purse and always have it to pull out if I get stuck waiting somewhere. Waiting in public is no longer boring for me--it is just time to catch up on my reading. Travelling with Kindle has been excellent as well.

One of the big factors for me was the lack of backlighting. Staring at computer screen or anything backlit irritates my eyes after a while. Most ebook readers do not have backlighting and are designed to look like real print, so reading is easy. The adjustable font is great as well--my vision is changing and I don't like wearing reading glasses--not a problem on the Kindle.

I do have to say that at Amazon they frequently post free ebooks so I have way too many books on my Kindle than I should, I use a program, Calibre, to keep track of them. I have gotten so many books for free that actually the cost has probably paid for itself.

I understand both sides of the discussion and people are usually passionate for or against--it shows how dedicated we bibliophiles are :)
Seraphim
Gaining experience

Unread post

Once I get a couple paychecks in, I'm considering getting an e-reader. I just really really love books, though, and being able to flip the pages. Not to mention I love the smell of books. I see needing an e-reader more out of convenience's sake. For instance, I'm going to be going off for training for my new job for 17 weeks. Not that I expect to have a lot of down time for reading non-technical books, but if that is the case, it would be a lot more convenient to have an e-reader with a number of books on it, than to have to pack a handful of books in my suitcase. That space could more practically be used for storing my socks.

For those who travel a lot, as I may have to, the e-reader will come in handy. But nothing could ever take the place of my lovely library of books. For me, I'd use the e-reader to buy books that I'm maybe interested in (my random, fun paperbacks) but don't really desire to have in hardback as part of my Classics library. My bookshelves are only so big. We'll see if I actually give in and purchase one.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune
bookwormservice
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

have you guys heard of the Archos? It is a French company that makes electronics similar to the Ipod-pad, but windows based. Some of their products actually run on Google's Andriod software. They would make a sweet e-reader.

http://www.archos.com/

Return to “Everything Else”