• In total there are 24 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

My belief system could best be described as...

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

My belief system could best be described as...

Unread post

My belief system could best be described as...Results (total votes = 19):atheist&nbsp12 / 63.2%&nbsp agnostic&nbsp4 / 21.1%&nbsp theist&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspdeist&nbsp1 / 5.3%&nbsp other&nbsp2 / 10.5%&nbsp  "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
ecstian

Re: My belief system could best be described as...

Unread post

I am a skeptical freethinker who currently holds no belief in a god.Eric
Naturyl

Unread post

I am a dialectical monist who lacks belief in anthropomorphic gods, but I am not opposed to some naturalistic and/or pantheistic conceptions of reality which may include 'spiritual' elements.More info on my belief system can be found by using the link below.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

EricWell, then you checked "atheist" I hope. You can call yourself any title that suits your own personal interest, but if you lack the belief in a God you are an atheist.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

I selected atheist, but I could equally have selected agnostic. I hold no belief in god but I also hold no certainty in the nonexistence of a god. Agnostic atheist best describes my view.Cheryl
CSflim

Unread post

I have no evidence for the existence of invisible purple llamas. At the same time, I have no actual evidence for their non-existence either. Doesn't make me "agnostic" on the issue of whether they exist or not. The burden of proof is most definately on attempting to show evidence that they do exist, not the other way around. Quite clearly the rational attitude is to positively assert that they simply don't exist.
ecstian

Unread post

Quote:Well, then you checked "atheist" I hope. You can call yourself any title that suits your own personal interest, but if you lack the belief in a God you are an atheist.Chris,Yes, I checked atheist. Either a person has a belief in a god and is a theist, or they do not and they are an atheist, such as myself. I see agnosticism as a term used by people who want to clarify for those who do not understand the term atheism. It simply expresses the fact that they are an atheist, but they are willing to accept evidence (not opinion or dogma, though) for a god if given. I would guess that this applies to a majority of atheists.Eric
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I am an atheist.
CSflim

Unread post

So what *is* an agnostic, and how does (s)he differ from an atheist?I had this argument with a friend of mine a while back. I refer to myself as an atheist, but I don't claim to "know for a fact" that God doesn't exist. I don't claim to have any evidence/proof. I conceed that it is a logical possibility that God exists.My friend claimed that I was therefore an agnostic (like he is) and I was incorrectly labbeling myself.I tried to explain that if you were to follow that line of reasoning then NOBODY would be an atheist.So then what is an agnostic?
Katala Au

Unread post

Besides the "sitting on the fence" definition, I've also heard agnosticism being defined as believing that we *cannot* know one way or the other whether there's a god. I think we should coin a new term that doesn't connotate the absolutist position that particularly athiesm is most understood as. A word for which the definition is something like: "the belief that there is currently no appropriate evidence to support the existence of (X) with an implied willingness to evaluate such evidence were a sincere attempt made at meeting the burden of proof at a level of high scientific standard." (hmm maybe someone can think of a better way to say that!!)Any suggestions?

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”