• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

1. In The Beginning

#86: June - Aug. 2010 (Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: 1. In The Beginning

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:There is the noble but less witty Aziraphale and the less noble but humorous Crowley. Opposites do seem to attract and you can't have one without the other. It's suitable that these two are best friends. They possibly may not be able to exist if not for their counterpart.
Opposite, or mirror image?

I enjoyed both of these characters. The friendship between the two propelled the book forward. Both angel and demon were able to display playfulness, and deception, both experienced horror and joy. To me, they were interchangable. Maybe I'm too grounded in human drama, but, you can't have good without bad. Joy cannot be appreciated without an understanding of sorrow. Ying, and Yang, both are required to make a human, angel, or demon whole.

"They possibly may not be able to exist if not for their counterpart". Amen!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

You're right. They're more similar than dissimilar. I don't know where I was going with that. The book even states that their long interactions with humans have made them less and less like their former selves. They've become something in the middle of good and evil. Less constrained and more free. They've probably become more like each other - maybe similar to a married couple. They're very much alike but they do have differences....

They're the same person on different sides of the glass... you're right... they're mirror images. Very nice. ;)
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

First off, I just have a silly comment to make on the fact that I found it highly amusing that the serpent's name was Crawly.
I think that is hilarious, too. The prologue is great.

I really like this line:

"They sat in embarrassed silence..."

That just seems so amusing, an angel and a demon sitting in "embarrassed silence". And the "animals freshly named". :) I really like what they do with language. This is going to be a fun book. :lol:
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

[they sat in embarrassed silence]

I liked that also. The relationship between them is further developed throughout the story. This is a fun book. I have finished it but would love to hear your thoughts as you go along.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

[quote: they sat in embarrassed silence]

I liked that also. The relationship between them is further developed throughout the story. This is a fun book. I have finished it but would love to hear your thoughts as you go along.

Return to “Good Omens - by Neil Gaiman”