• In total there are 16 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

"Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Re: "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson

Unread post

I'm thinking now back to the linguistic aspect of the book. Is this the part where it deals with Egypt? Probably it is... that's actually where I considered the book to lose some of its interest. Of course, YMMV - and apparently, did.

I mean it as an acknowledgement that my criticism of the linguistic aspect of the book as being something of a drag on its enjoyment factor is based entirely on a subjective viewpoint - and one I can't even properly remember in fact. It was used simply to forestall possible hurt feelings or defensive postings that can arise when the expressed favorite aspect of a book is later regarded by someone else as being the worst the book offers. It was my shorthand for this: Here is my recollection of the book. I don't recall it enough to debate or back up my stated impression in any vigorous way. I realize the feature I am criticizing may very well be considered its greatest asset.

Does this explain it?
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Perfectly! Thank you. And of course I understand that what I like others my not and vice versa, so no harm, no foul. To each their own.

I get it now (finally). :D
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

yea :D

I'm fixin to leave on a trip soon. I'll be packin' Snow Crash.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Kevin wrote:yea :D

I'm fixin to leave on a trip soon. I'll be packin' Snow Crash.
Sweeeet. Have a good time. :)
KristoffX
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I have been wondering about this book, but enough reading this topic, I am def. going to check this book out
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

KristoffX wrote:I have been wondering about this book, but enough reading this topic, I am def. going to check this book out
I think that's an awesome idea! Let me know what you think of it. :)
strawberrybird
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I read this for the first time about a month ago. I, too, could easily see Stephenson's imagining world becoming our future. He took elements of the present day and stretched them to make a hyper-reality. I read another book (The Good Humor Man by Andrew Fox) that goes in a different direction, but uses that same premise of focusing on one aspect of our society and making it foundational to the future world.

I also found the linguistic aspect of the book to be very intriguing. For me, it was the clue that bound the book together. I don't know if Stepehenson convinced me of the premise that language is like a virus, but it was definitely an interesting concept.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”