• In total there are 82 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 82 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

The Life of Pi

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Re: The Life of Pi

Unread post

Could someone explain the accepted thinking or religious connection of the Island parts of the book? I didn't get it at all.

I actually enjoyed the beginning of the book more than the rest of it. Pi and his father's relationship and the dedication to the animals was touching.

I saw the story as an explanation for some people's need for religion. It keeps them going through life's struggles.

This book didn't make as much of an impression on me as others, for instance, Kingsolver's, Poisonwood Bible.
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:Could someone explain the accepted thinking or religious connection of the Island parts of the book? I didn't get it at all.

I actually enjoyed the beginning of the book more than the rest of it. Pi and his father's relationship and the dedication to the animals was touching.

I saw the story as an explanation for some people's need for religion. It keeps them going through life's struggles.

This book didn't make as much of an impression on me as others, for instance, Kingsolver's, Poisonwood Bible.

I myself have not tackled the idea of the island yet. I think perhaps its one of those things that I will grasp better with a second reading.

While reading the book and still under the spell of "this could happen", I took the island as an example of God providing for his people. The island was beautiful and provided much needed food, shelter, water and rest. But it was a helping hand, not a place for Pi to rest and stay forever, not meant to be his "end of story" hence the cannibalistic nature of the island. Pi discovered this in time to safely retreat and finish his journey as God wished.
One detail that I think supported this was the fact that the Japanese interviewers did not understand (believe) the island part of the story one bit. They "didn't get it", much like the three religious leaders trying to force Pi into a decision on one faith didn't get him. It is almost as if, at this point, the story is pointing out that only the strongest of believers are blessed with such gifts as the island. The average person "doesn't get it".
This explanation also frees us from having to decide who the teeth belonged to, who the little aquatic adapted mammals represented etc..... For these questions, when I am on the side of the "story without animals" side, I have no answer. Much like the Japanese interviewers, I don't get it.
They say 90% of the game is half mental.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:Could someone explain the accepted thinking or religious connection of the Island parts of the book? I didn't get it at all.
The passages of the book where Pi discovers the island is a pivital point in the novel. And these passages are worthy of second and even a third reading.

When Pi see the island, he is delighted, he sees the green trees, it appears to be an oaisis, or an eden to him. He explores the island, believing that he has found salvation, but he soon discovers that the island is a danger. The ground becomes acid at night and Pi must sleep in the trees. The tiger has gone back to the boat. Pi realizes that he must return to the boat as well. His faith, by way of the tiger is urging Pi to choose life, instead of the certain death he would have experienced had he stayed on the island. By returning to the boat, to continue the torture of floating on the open sea, he is leaving his fate up to God. He places himself in God's hands. Pi must have been very close to death at this point for I see these passages as delusional fantasies. As Pi nears death during the island passages, he would feel closer to God than at any other time in the book.

The second and last island he encounters, where he does find safety, is very interesting. As soon as he steps foot onto this island, the tiger runs away from Pi, deserting him. The tiger has been Pi's faith for the long journey. Although Pi is afraid of the tiger, and oftentimes wishes for the tiger's demise, Pi does protect him, and needs him. The tiger represents Pi's faith, it is possible that Pi felt he no longer needed a reminder of his faith and belief, maybe he realized that faith is not something tangible, but something felt and possessed inside. A tiger is very strong, this may be why Pi choose a tiger to accompany him and when the tiger, Pi's faith runs away into the bushes, Pi himself becomes strong. He becomes whole again. After all, the tiger kills the hyena, this would make Pi and the tiger one and the same.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Maybe there really was no tiger or other individual. Maybe Martel really wanted Pi to have killed his mother. That would have made a better story. That he was the tiger.
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
The passages of the book where Pi discovers the island is a pivital point in the novel. And these passages are worthy of second and even a third reading.

When Pi see the island, he is delighted, he sees the green trees, it appears to be an oaisis, or an eden to him. He explores the island, believing that he has found salvation, but he soon discovers that the island is a danger. The ground becomes acid at night and Pi must sleep in the trees. The tiger has gone back to the boat. Pi realizes that he must return to the boat as well. His faith, by way of the tiger is urging Pi to choose life, instead of the certain death he would have experienced had he stayed on the island. By returning to the boat, to continue the torture of floating on the open sea, he is leaving his fate up to God. He places himself in God's hands. Pi must have been very close to death at this point for I see these passages as delusional fantasies. As Pi nears death during the island passages, he would feel closer to God than at any other time in the book.

The second and last island he encounters, where he does find safety, is very interesting. As soon as he steps foot onto this island, the tiger runs away from Pi, deserting him. The tiger has been Pi's faith for the long journey. Although Pi is afraid of the tiger, and oftentimes wishes for the tiger's demise, Pi does protect him, and needs him. The tiger represents Pi's faith, it is possible that Pi felt he no longer needed a reminder of his faith and belief, maybe he realized that faith is not something tangible, but something felt and possessed inside. A tiger is very strong, this may be why Pi choose a tiger to accompany him and when the tiger, Pi's faith runs away into the bushes, Pi himself becomes strong. He becomes whole again. After all, the tiger kills the hyena, this would make Pi and the tiger one and the same.

I like this explanation very much. The Tiger never really settles down on island #1, and leads Pi back to the boat. This urges Pi to press on. On the second island, the right one, the Tiger is no longer necessary and disappears. Definitely something I missed first time reading. Didn't make that connection.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Eriksoln wrote:But it was a helping hand, not a place for Pi to rest and stay forever, not meant to be his "end of story" hence the cannibalistic nature of the island. Pi discovered this in time to safely retreat and finish his journey as God wished.
I think this is spot on. And naming the island as cannibalistic is excellent. The mystery of the teeth relates well with your discription of the island as being cannibalistic, the trees are full of what looks like food, but contains teeth. The island eats and distroys. This can be seen with the ground at night, how it becomes an acid.

Because of this, I can not see the island in any way as being a gift, I saw it as pure danger and death. The island is missleading, it is temptation.
President Camacho wrote:Maybe there really was no tiger or other individual. Maybe Martel really wanted Pi to have killed his mother. That would have made a better story. That he was the tiger.
The tiger killed the hyena, not the orangutan. Keep the animals straight please. :lol:

Pi was the tiger. We need to remember that Pi is telling this story after the events occured. Pi is a child, it is not a stretch for a child to create fantasies to overcome trauma. Pi was able to murder, and because of this, Pi may have split himself, creating a creature that has the natural instinct to kill. This would take the guilt away for the sin of murder, but, it would also create doubt for Pi. Pi may have doubted his faith, kept it at a distance, feared it, but after his experience on the island, he may have discarded his doubt, and regained trust in his faith, and followed it, which allowed him to continue and to ultimately survive.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

So the Island was somewhat of a mirage. Something that turned out to be too good to be true, as often happens in life. I'm going to have to re-read this.

However, I still don't agree with the author that reading the book will cause the reader to adopt religion. The Tiger does not necessarily represent religious strength. It could be Pi's own inner strength and desire to survive that has nothing to do with religion.
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:So the Island was somewhat of a mirage. Something that turned out to be too good to be true, as often happens in life. I'm going to have to re-read this.

However, I still don't agree with the author that reading the book will cause the reader to adopt religion. The Tiger does not necessarily represent religious strength. It could be Pi's own inner strength and desire to survive that has nothing to do with religion.

You mean Y. Martel suggests reading this will make someone adopt religion? Eh?

I don't agree with that either. I think actually, it is a mental exercise, a teaser, for people who already believe and wish to be entertained.

Somewhat like........someone who likes football will be drawn to a restaurant with a sports theme. If that makes any sense.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Eriksoln,
I like your annalogy.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I also agree, I don't think Martel's objective was to sway anyone to adopt a religion.
Eriksoln wrote:I think actually, it is a mental exercise, a teaser, for people who already believe and wish to be entertained.
I don't know if I can agree with this however. I did enjoy "Life of Pi", however, I do not follow any traditional religion, and I do not worship any God. "Life of Pi" can be read by anyone, whether they believe in God or not. Although the tiger may have represented the belief in faith, a faith in God, the book still works if you see the tiger, as lindad once mentioned, as an inner strength and belief in oneself.

A reader who lacks the traditional belief of any religion, and one who does not possess faith, or belief in God, is not prevented from picking out refferences made about God, and symbolism representing faith. Religion is a theme that runs through many novels, and although I see myself as an agnostic, I can still appreciate these novels for how they were intended to be read, even if I do not personally believe myself.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”