• In total there are 12 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

victory for the tea party activists!!

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: victory for the tea party activists!!

Unread post

Phillies4ever wrote:I believe that the government has definitely let us down.
Why do we keep expecting the government to not let us down?
Tom
vetwriter
No End in Sight

Unread post

phillies4evr wrote:when you start treating me as a woman that I am, which I feel is part of your problem, then I will continue this conversation. I don't care who you are, women were given the right to vote and have plenty to say and are just as knowledgeable as men. When you apologize to me, I will continue our conversation. Until then, remember the tea party movement just wants the country back to the way it was before Obama came into office. I know he isn't all to blame but he took a bad situation and made it much worse. Honestly, and not because I am a woman, I would've voted for Hillary. I was so sorry when she dropped out of the race. The reason I am a Republican is because at this point the Democrats have screwed up enough and it's time that the Republicans, especially the tea party to try and straighten us all out. I am done conversing with you into the sexist remark you made to me. You knew damn well from my profile that I am a woman! End of discussion
Honestly, I don't want the country "back to the way it was" before Obama took office. Our economy was tanking while Bush was in office, and with the exception of the housing market, our economy has been doing well. Huge companies have been making record profits, stocks are up, people still seem to be out and about as usual, spending money. So where is the proof that our country isn't doing well economically? Because some politician says so? Some politician that will do whatever it takes to get into office? The tea party backs politicians who say they are "just like you" and "want to take our country back", but what does that really mean? As far as I know, a lot of the politicians are life-time politicians, have much more money than the average citizen, are kids of other politicians, and just want your vote. More of the same. If anything, when you have opposing parties in office, nothing will get done.
I personally take offense to the Tea Party even using that name. The original Tea Party didn't want taxation without representation because we were under British rule. That is not the case today. The Tea Party seems to mostly complain about taxes. Hey, generations before us paid their taxes so that we can live the life we do today, so paying our taxes is our obligation as citizens. How else do you expect to have the things afforded to you that most people take for granted? Our fine military, policemen, teachers, firemen, etc. are paid for by TAXES. I bet the same people who complain about paying taxes will be the first people also complaining when they don't get Medicare or Social Security. NOTHING is for free.
Let's be Americans and take pride in our country. There is a reason why we have been on top for so many years, so let's not screw it up. There are much worse places we could live, and if you aren't happy living here, then you should try living somewhere else.
To find out more about both myself and the books I have written, please visit: http://www.virginiafrazier.webs.com
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

vetwriter wrote: Our economy was tanking while Bush was in office, and with the exception of the housing market, our economy has been doing well. Huge companies have been making record profits, stocks are up, people still seem to be out and about as usual, spending money. So where is the proof that our country isn't doing well economically?
The job market still sucks, especially when you consider that the office unemployment rate doesn't consider people who are underemployed or have given up looking for jobs:
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=usu ... yment+rate
vetwriter wrote: Hey, generations before us paid their taxes so that we can live the life we do today, so paying our taxes is our obligation as citizens. How else do you expect to have the things afforded to you that most people take for granted? Our fine military, policemen, teachers, firemen, etc. are paid for by TAXES.
You're completely right about that. Anyone who demands tax cuts and deficit reduction, without mentioning specific massive spending cuts that they could accept, or either clueless or intellectually dishonest.
vetwriter
No End in Sight

Unread post

Well, I think the unemployment rate doesn't say much to begin with. Like, look at the number of people who probably should have retired, but continue working. That means less jobs available for the recently graduated. Just the other day on the news they said the number of recently graduated college students living with their parents has gone up. Also, there are plenty of people who do not take certain jobs because they have too much "pride." Also, why is it that huge companies have made record profits, but you don't see them hiring more people? Is it because the rich folk have an idea for who they want in office, so they keep the employment number down just to make the current administration look bad?
So, I think the unemployment number is skewed.
To find out more about both myself and the books I have written, please visit: http://www.virginiafrazier.webs.com
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

http://blogs.chron.com/immigration/arch ... migration)

"Go back to mexico!" Say well educated, totally non-racist tea baggers of congressmen.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

http://www.slate.com/id/2273708/

Interesting article about the health care bill and the change over of party control.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
vetwriter
No End in Sight

Unread post

I find it interesting that so many people bash Obama's healthcare bill because it is increasing our deficit. What about the years we have spent in war? What about all the money we have borrowed from foreign countries so that we could occupy another country? Why isn't the tea party up in arms about that? People want to claim that they are fiscal conservatives, but they have no idea what it means. Also, how do so many people claim that they are such Christians, when these "Christians" do nothing but gripe about a healthcare bill that is supposed to help people?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

You would think that christians would be fighting tooth and nail to keep health care reform, which gives aid to people who would suffer otherwise, and get RID of war, which brings death and destruction to people who would be alive without it.

Christians?
Any defense?
-Guillermo Del Torro

seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

You would think that christians would be fighting tooth and nail to keep health care reform, which gives aid to people who would suffer otherwise, and get RID of war, which brings death and destruction to people who would be alive without it.

Christians?
Any defense?
There is none. You are right.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Current Events & History”