• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What are you reading right now...

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
JKaty
Getting Comfortable

Re: What are you reading right now...

Unread post

The Global You (http://www.globalyou.co.uk) by Susan Bloch and Philip Whiteley. Great book for anyone working and living abroad. 10 strategies of how to adjust yourself to a new environment.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Zuly wrote:
NoAmount wrote:
Zuly wrote:"Your inner fish" by Neil Shubin
I've been seeing this around, but is it any good??? $17 for a book I've no idea about is kinda big for me.

I just started it yesterday. It's been good so far... nothing extraordinary.

I'm too poor to buy books... i get all my books from my library. :D
We read Shubin's book here a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it, and I think everyone else who discussed it did, too.

I've been reading, along with saffron, books by the Canadian fiction writer Alice Munro. She has written mostly short stories, but did write the short novel on which the film "Away from Her" (starring the great Julie Christie) is based. Munro's writing is hard to describe, but maybe her strength is uncovering the everyday strangeness in our lives. She gets high praise from her fellow writers and, as they say, deserves to be better known.

Two recent collections are Too Much Happiness and Runaway. I'm now reading her fictionalized family history The View from Castle Rock, which I'm enjoying.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

"I've been reading, along with saffron, books by the Canadian fiction writer Alice Munro. She has written mostly short stories, but did write the short novel on which the film "Away from Her" (starring the great Julie Christie) is based. Munro's writing is hard to describe, but maybe her strength is uncovering the everyday strangeness in our lives. She gets high praise from her fellow writers and, as they say, deserves to be better known.

Two recent collections are Too Much Happiness and Runaway. I'm now reading her fictionalized family history The View from Castle Rock, which I'm enjoying.[/quote]

DWill,
Munro is wonderful. Somehow I feel transported when I read her works. You're correct she does uncover some basic depth in our lives, but I'm not so sure that it's strangeness, because it is prevalent everywhere, just not exposed. Joyce Carol Oates does this also, although not quite as mystically (?) as Munro.
Randy Kadish
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

Just purchased Decision Points. by G.W. Bush. Have to get his take.
Randy
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

reading

The end of Faith by Sam harris
Collection of works by Thomas Paine

Just read

The Strain and
The Fall, by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Randy Kadish wrote:Just purchased Decision Points. by G.W. Bush. Have to get his take.
Randy
That's nice of you, Randy. ;-)
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:
I've been reading, along with saffron, books by the Canadian fiction writer Alice Munro.
I've read some of Munro's stories in the Norton Anthology of Contemporary Literature. I like her work a lot.

I'm currently reading The Last Book by Serbian author Zoran Zivkovic. It's hard to describe, but perhaps a metaphysical mystery.
-Geo
Question everything
vetwriter
No End in Sight

Unread post

Honestly? I'm reading about Organic Chemistry and Anatomy/Physiology. In addition to writing, I'm considering going into healthcare. I figure it will be good to use my Biology degree and hopefully feel like I'm making a difference at the end of the day.
To find out more about both myself and the books I have written, please visit: http://www.virginiafrazier.webs.com
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:reading

The end of Faith by Sam harris
Collection of works by Thomas Paine

Just read

The Strain and
The Fall, by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan.
Le me know what you're thinking about the Harris book, johnson. I think Dexter's idea to read his new one here was a good one.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Randy Kadish wrote:Just purchased Decision Points. by G.W. Bush. Have to get his take.
Randy
I'm waiting to see the first review of W's book. Bush redux is now all over the media.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”