• In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

What are you reading right now...

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: What are you reading right now...

Unread post

W wrote a book? Is it in Crayon???
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

I doubt he's talented enough to even write with crayon.
kaye
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I started reading right now the Wheel of Time and I am now on book 11. After reading the first book I was hooked. The range of characters, twists in the story and the overall plot combines to make a book of unbelievable quality,in my eyes. There are characters I love and love to hate... If a book can make you feel passionate about it, then it is well worth reading. RJ was a genius and I would recommend everybody read it!
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Kaye,
Welcome to BookTalk. I hope you enjoy the discussions and join in. I have friends in Manila who work in the Technology Center. I have visited and love your country.

Linda
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Wheel of Time is a very good series. The replacement author is doing a fine job of telling the story and maintaining the overall feel of RJ's books.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

DWILL,

since we took our sweet time getting to this book, you and i are out in the cold on the official book discussion.

i created this, where people can stop by and drop a line now and then.
http://www.booktalk.org/the-end-of-fait ... t9670.html
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
VMLM
Experienced

Unread post

Currently reading:
  • Count of Montecristo - Alexandre Dumas, père
  • A Study of History - Arnold Toynbee
  • 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey
I want to get into The Road with the people on the board but all three books are extremely interesting, so I'm going to finish Montecristo before I get into that one.

Books on my waiting list:
  • The Road - Cormac McCarthy
  • La Caverna de las Ideas - José Carlos Somoza (I think this one's called The Athenian Murders in English)
  • The Hero With a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell
I also recently downloaded all 26 of Plato's dialogues (for free!! Wooh! xD) from Amazon's Kindle store, so I'll be making my way through that, during the next year probably. I already read he Apology, Symposium, Phaedrus, Phaedo, Crito and Republic. I seriously didn't expect Plato to be so interesting as I've found him to be. The amount of symbolism and metaphor that you find in each dialogue and the masterful use of characters as a representation of each point of view make for good reading. I'd actually recommend Phaedrus or Symposium to anyone who wants to get a slight taste for it, and I'd be psyched if anybody told me they'd read and were willing to discuss The Republic :D.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I would definitely read The Republic with you. I've also read Apology...Crito. I'll need a couple months, though.

Monte Cristo is great!!! I loved that book. I've never read a book so large that didn't drag. I can't remember being bored with any of it. Dumas is a superb writer. I haven't read Musketeers or 20 Years After but I've heard they're both good, too. Monte Cristo should be on everyone's to read list if they haven't read it already. The movie, although light-years apart from the book, was also awesome.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

VMLM wrote:Currently reading:
  • Count of Montecristo - Alexandre Dumas, père
  • A Study of History - Arnold Toynbee
  • 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey
I happen to be reading The Count as well -- it'll take me a while, I'm reading other books at the same time. By the way, maybe this will catch on, I put a current/recent reading list in my signature. Make it easier to find people with common interests and maybe create some new discussions.
DickZ

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I am reading The Moonstone, by Wilkie Collins, which certainly holds my attention. I understand that this is considered as a precursor to detective stories such as those about Sherlock Holmes. I read another book by this same author a few months ago - The Woman in White, which I enjoyed quite a bit.
Currently reading Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott. Recently completed The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James, The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman, Beaumarchais by Maurice Lever, The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo, My Turn at Bat by Ted Williams, Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy, The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, Lost Horizon by James Hilton.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”